Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need Help with window treatments and Cabinets
jcombs885
December 31, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We purchased our home about 9 months ago. We loved the house but knew we were going to have to invest in some cosmetic changes to get it to our taste. I'm stuggling on what to do with the windows in the living room, eating area and kitchen which are all one open space.

The window coverings in the living room bay windows are levelor style. The eating area bay windows and kitchen window have some ugly roman shades the previous owner made themselves.

The window coverings in all the other rooms of our house are the 3" white wood blinds. Which we have added and really like the look of. I know the levalor blinds are expensive and in style so I'd hate to replace them if I don't have to.

Lastly I need recommendations regarding our cabinetry. I was thinking of painting the built ins next to the fireplace a white color and I was also considering painting the kitchen cabinets the same. I'm afraid with all the white flooring we have that it will be too washed out looking but I'm really not a fan of oak cabinets! I think in the next couple years we will change all the flooring to a wood or bamboo since white floors is not working out well with two dogs and a baby.

We have a very limited budget at the moment so I want to get the biggest bang for my dollar. I like a modern style with a little traditional.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mmilos
Only thing I would do is add some fixed colored drapery panels at the ends and corners of each bay window. Keep the levelor shades and maybe get some extra ones for your kitchen windows if needed for privacy.

I would keep the wood cabinets for now until you change out the flooring. When you put in wood flooring, go ahead and paint the cabinets white. But I'd leave them as-is for now.

Replace the ceiling light fixture in your living room with a cool chandelier to add some drama.
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 1:18PM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Agreed...
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 12:29AM
charleee
Personally, I don't think you can have too much white! Painting the cabinets is a great idea, ditto the built-ins. You may find that you'll want new appliances, however, so be warned......these things kind of snowball!
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 3:16AM
newyorkgirl
French doors that lead to outside is fab! Just keep it, it's very inviting and modern! They go very well with the furniture. You should just keep what you have! It's perfect for winter and warming up!
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 7:40AM
jcombs885
Thank you for the comments! Is it ok for all the window coverings not to match? The rest of the house has the 3" blinds? There is a formal dining room with open passage to the living room and an office across from the kitchen which both have the 3" blinds in the windows. So basically the windows on the east side of the house will be one type and on the west side it will be the levelor style. Also does anyone have any examples of a clean, modern look of drapery on a bay window? Every inspiration room I like has no drapery :).
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 9:12AM
michigammemom
jcombs885, I would suggest hanging drapery panels for your bay window as pictured with the rod hung almost to the ceiling. If you are concerned about too much white, you might consider a different paint color for your built-ins or a larger more colorful area rug. Is your sweet pup a Cavalier Spaniel?
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 9:22AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would paint the kitchen cabinets, the grt. rm wall cabinets and the brick around the fireplace all a white. If you want a more contemporary look make it a brighter white, with a touch of gray in it. Next paint all walls a medium tone of gray with a blue undertone, With a lighter shade of same gray on the ceiling. In other words remove most of the white except for the floors at this time. Add a rug with more colors, multi-color wavy stripe, etc. again contemporary, and certainly larger. You may also want to consider the same rug for the eating area and a small one in the kitchen. Choose some of those colors from rug for patterned pillows on the sofa. At this time ignore the floors and make that your first $$ project. Maybe a med. to dark vinyl plank look. Change out light fixtures over sink to be more sleek with black iron, same for other fixtures. I believe your current kitchen handles will look good with painted cabinets. As for window treatments, in the kitchen and dining area I would choose lined woven woods, light in color, natural fibers. Over the mantle, maybe something large and round in metal, old looking, medallion or something. Also choose less items on the shelves and maybe a little more contemporary, mixed with photos with modern frames. I hope this gives you some ideas. It is really a great space and will be the center of family activity, therefore it should be comfortable and something YOU like. So please take all our ideas with a grain of salt. These are all ideas we would do. You need to form your own personal style and space. My very best to you and your family.
2 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 9:30AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Do what mmilos said it is the less expensive choice for now and you can save up to do it right later.
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 9:35AM
jcombs885
Thank you for the drapery picture, I do like how that looks, I'm mostly concerned with drapery closing in the space and making it appear smaller. We have a friend with the same house and their living room looks much smaller and they have big window treatments.

Barbara our wall color is new and is BM Abalone, it doesn't show up very well inthe photos. Its a light gray with almost a violet undertone. Regarding the fireplace,I just can't bear to paint the brick, I think I would regret it but I definately thought about it before! I think I'd be more open to it if it's wasn't so big, I like the warmth of the color.

What do you think about painting the built ins black? I'm afraid a white color could pull out the peach tones in the brick. All our trim is BM White Dove. We have the inside of our entry door in the foyer painted black and I love it. I'm also planning on painting our staircase white with a black rail. This house is covered in wood trim! I've had a lot of painting to do and I'm still not done!

Thanks again for all the recommendations, I greatly appreciate it!

And yes, our dog in the picture is a King Charles Cavalier. He's a great dog! We also have an 80lb Doberman which is why we may have to go with bamboo floors, his nails tear up hardwood! He's a wonderful dog too, we've been very lucky with our pooches :-)
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 10:19AM
jcombs885
Here's a few more photos for reference. First is the view from Living room to foyer, second is living room looking into formal dining room (excuse our droopy dired out Christmas tree!) and lastly looking from kitchen to office area.

By the way all the clutter is Christmas and will be moving out including the train table which is NOT our permanent coffe table.

The built in's have lighting at the top, so i was thinking of replacing the shelves with glass shelves maybe?
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 11:27AM
kira5817
I would paint the cabinets a creamy white; linen white by BM is a good choice, or dove white by BM if you are going for more of a contemporary look. I would also add a reclaimed wood mantle to the fireplace as well.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 11:39AM
thislittlehouse
Definitely paint the built ins white, they will look clean and fresh and you can change how you style them for a more contemporary or classic look, depending on how you are feeling.

I would paint the kitchen cabinets white too. Timber kitchens like that look completely different with just a coat of paint.

Try to stick with the same paint for the built ins, trims and kitchen cabinets to create a cohesive palette.

And if you can wait until after you have redone the flooring, you will have a better idea of what look to go for with the window treatments.

:) Elise
2 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 3:18PM