Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Finished painting...now what?
bethnybug
December 31, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Finished painting the room and happy with the color. However, need some inspiration for furniture and arrangement. No fireplace in this room adjacent to kitchen. Looking for thoughts on moving flat screen to other wall, floating the sofa, or adding wall unit or entertainment center on high wall where sofa is presently living. Moved the pub table in to eat & watch football during the season...hubby likes it. I think I am ready for more space for comfy seating. Attaching pictures for perspective. Also, wood blinds on windows...should some fabric be added for softness with the hardwood floor? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
devinbiz
I would float the sofa facing the wall, place the tv on the wall, maybe place the pub table where you presently have the tv. When in doubt, I suggest spending a few hours simply rearranging things over a day to see what works best for you.
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 1:48PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
The TV on the new wall is much better. Drapery panels will look good but you do not have much space on the outsides. So keep them small, all on the inside or not at all. A large painting between the windows that is vertical in size will add color and still be a focal wall. Floating the furniture is good. Do something unexpected with the TV wall. Check the ideas pages. Good luck!
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 1:56PM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would invest in some cellular shades to soften the light. It looks like you get bright light for a large part of the day.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/cellular-shades.html
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 12:25AM
bethnybug
Thank you for your responses. I am not sure how to place the drapery panels "on the inside" but I am researching it presently. I like the idea of keeping the pub table (for the hubby)and placing between the windows where the flat screen is now and then adding the vertical artwork. Would you, Interiors International, please expand on what your mean by "doing something unexpected" on the tv wall? In response to blinds direct, I am surprised the room appears bright. This room faces southeast and receives a small amount of morning sun. It seems much darker than my dining room on the front of the house which is pummeled by the afternoon sun here in the south. I do like the idea of softening with the shades, however I like to open it up and see the treetops outside. Again, I would like to thank all who responded to my post. I am grateful for your expertise! I am really excited to implement your ideas! Thank you again! Best regards! Beth
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 4:57PM
aeharlan
I think I'd place the couch facing the TV, and the table & chairs where the couch is, by the window. Also, I'd put the club chair by the couch, making an "L" shape. Since your room doesn't really get much light, you might look for pillows and accessories in color or patterns that you like, or a mixture of both, to lighten things up. Perhaps a floor lamp, or small table with a table lamp by the club chair would give you a place to read. As for covering up the windows, I wouldn't, unless you put up a very light opaque shade, or sheer panels in a neutral color, or sheer pattern. Your room will come alive. Good luck!
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 5:16PM
elklaker
Is there a reason that you don't have a rug in the room (allergies, preference)? It seems that a rug would be the basis around which all other elements would be based. Your wall color is beautiful. I see a rug with the green and Black and Tan/cream.
I think that the large wall is perfect for an entertainment center to house the tv and then the rest of the furniture placed where it suits you best.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 5:26PM
insideandout
Beautiful home! The paint color works well with your decor. I would move the sofa where the table is, near the stairs and put the table underneath the current tv position. Put the tv and the chest below where the sofa is now. Then you can see it from the sofa and the kitchen. Keep any window treatments minimal. You might consider adding an area rug to create a sitting space near the sofa and possibly a small chest or table in front of the sofa. Flea markets are great places to pick those up. It will add another place to sit a drink or eat a casual dinner. Craigslist is a great place to look for inexpensive options for rugs. I would take the current picture that is above the sofa and move it to where the tv is, it is too small for the wall it is on but should fit well between the two windows. Hang it at eye level.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 5:39PM
bethnybug
Thanks elklaker, Great suggestion! I had a nice chocolate shag rug but the dog destroyed it! We just pulled out the huge fir Christmas tree with the dropping needles so now I can begin the search for a new rug to anchor the room. What would you suggest? A pattern/solid/colors/size of rug? I am starting anew and would like to transform this room over the next 5 months. Also: Considering a wall unit for the wall where the couch is to hold the flat screen and books in response to the second suggestion from Interiors International re: something unexpected
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 5:40PM
bethnybug
Thank you aeharlan for the suggestions. I like the idea of sheers! Also, I have a problem with committing to colors in the accessory department. I must work on this! The reading floor lamp and side table are a definite as the hubby is a reader. Your imput is appreciated!
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 5:45PM
elklaker
I would go with a pattern. The size will depend on how you decide to place your furniture. Many rug galleries will let you bring home the rugs to see how they work in your room.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 5:45PM
bethnybug
Thank you for your compliments on the house and great suggestions, insideandout! Everyone seems to be in agreement to move the couch to the large wall. I am glad you suggested using the artwork I have now between the windows. It is a special painting and has a lot of sentimental value. I am so thankful for all who have participated in my design dilemma!
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 6:05PM
bethnybug
A pattern it is, elklaker! Would you go traditional or contemporary?
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 6:07PM
elklaker
It seems that your style (as mine) leans toward traditional. Check out home decorators.com for some rug ideas. Overstock.com also has a good selection. I am always wary of ordering sight-unseen but use the sites for ideas and then have gotten lucky at HomeGoods. Be patient. The right one will "speak" to you.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 6:17PM
bethnybug
Thank you elklaker!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 3:26PM
molmolco
now enjoy!!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 3:37PM