Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Garage Roof decision???
liannet
December 31, 2012 in Design Dilemma
There's 2 options (pix posted) and we can't really visualize which would look best. Option A is a torched on slanted roof. Option B is a torched on flat roof with metal fascia. Option C (no pix) was low profile metal roof. The garage is partially embedded 12' out. Because it's a triple, we're concerned that the roof will dominate the overall look of the house. Any suggestions/thoughts??? Thanks.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patty526
I like A , and am thinking this is a front view? Can you bring the roof line to the house, then go straight across with it? Then you get some visual interest, but you arn't drawing attention to the double. Then you can make those upstairs windows a little more symmetrical. Ie, to match the right side?
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 3:39PM
liannet
It is a front view. We also thought to balance the windows as you suggest. Re bringing roof line to the house and then straight across, not sure which roof line you're referring to. We will probably remove that thin wall on the right side of the garage and extend the angled roof 2 feet on the high side. Is this what you mean?
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 4:09PM
carolannr
I think opt B is more symmetrical and less offensive.
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 4:31PM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I agree that Option B is much more cohesive.
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 4:37PM
patty526
You can make it work, as is, drawing the single roof to the double, then across, match up the windows, and all is good. Or you could use plan b and balance with doors that look 'barn like' on the double, but the last door will be obviously be a garage, nothing wrong with that. I like a slope for the front view to the last garage, it gives more interest to the front, but changing the window will make in in sync, with the rest of the front, without drawing attention to the fact that it's a 3 for. I don't think the roof angle is off so much, as it's the windows.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 4:44PM
patty526
And, angle is important on the roof, but if it works better, consider it added texture. Houses do not need to have absolutely the same roof line, and you can put a parapate(?) wall up a bit to match the angle of the top floor. The parapate would give you more options for textures on the front...brick, siding, etc.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 4:53PM
ruthmand
To me, Option A accentuates the double garage door whereas Option B, with some roof overhang, diminishes it somewhat. Note that the above renderings are flat and do not reflect the perspective. If, as you say, the garage extends out beyond the entry then the angled roof (A) is going to look rather odd. I urge you to look at a 3D drawing of all sides of your home before making a decision.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 5:59PM
houssaon
Option B seems to keep the whole horizontal flow going.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 6:42PM
mstanford
Option B definitely. You could even hip the end to match the top roof line. This elevation flows with the rest of you roof line.
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 6:54PM
Sue Ann Stevens
I think B for sure. The angle on the sloped garage roof seems to be about 10 degrees and the other roofline 20 which in this case looks strange to me, personally. It also looks like the the one-sided slope makes the garage a feature and an unfinished looking one at that. It looks like "what goes up must come down--but doesn't" since the rest of the house appears to have more traditional lines. If there were at least one more slanted contemporary-looking roof line, then maybe. Like one from the upstairs right slanting upwards toward the left.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 6:28AM
PRO
Dytecture
I also vote for option 'B'.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 7:42AM
PRO
Eurocerob
Option 'B' has my vote .
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 8:13AM
PRO
Kensington Construction
Option B, without a doubt.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 11:06AM
linsleya
Option B extends the horizontal line of the roof over the entry. Always try to go with an option that looks the most natural with the existing home.
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 6:34PM
Lesley
I think option B looks more contemporary.
0 Likes   November 13, 2014 at 12:14AM
PRO
Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.
B is more subtle and integrated.
0 Likes   November 13, 2014 at 1:13AM
PRO
Charles Ross Homes
Option B integrates the garages; option A makes it look like they were "bolted on."
0 Likes   November 13, 2014 at 4:48AM
ruthmand
Please note this dilemma is from January 2013!
0 Likes   November 13, 2014 at 7:28AM
PRO
Charles Ross Homes
Thanks, @ruthmand. I'm going to ask the folks at Houzz if they can somehow "freeze" older posts so we don't repeat this experience.
0 Likes   November 13, 2014 at 7:44AM
ruthmand
@Charles Ross Homes, that really needs to be done ASAP. I have fallen into this trap before myself and am now looking very carefully at the dilemma date prior to commenting.
0 Likes   November 13, 2014 at 8:21AM
Fred S
That is funny. I don't think there is any way for Houzz to figure out which posts YOU "deem" to need "freezing". The better suggestion is for YOU to actually READ the WHOLE POST before commenting. Then you would know where the post has developed to, or after about 2 seconds, realize it is an old post.
1 Like   November 13, 2014 at 9:23AM
PRO
Charles Ross Homes
Houzz is a forum where posters can solicit opinions and advice from a range of sources including consumers, designers, decorators, architects, builders, remodelers, etc. Where design advice is requested pre-construction, that advice becomes moot point if it's received afterwards. Continuing to list a post after advice is no longer relevant to the original poster's need wastes time and "constipates" the system. If there is value in capturing the information indefinitely, there should be a means of archiving it and a means of searching the archives based on topic. It's up to the folks at Houzz to decide whether the proposed change is right for their site or not.
1 Like   November 13, 2014 at 10:00AM
Fred S
If you look to the right > of this discussion, you will find a list of "related discussions" from a long time ago. In other words, Houzz has already decided that these old discussions have a value to people looking for a similar answer. If someone has relevant input that might help people that are searching the archives, then there is nothing wrong with adding a late comment. If you are constipated, I suggest getting off the pot and getting some exercise. I prefer people to look up the answer before asking the same question over and over, and wasting everyone's time in doing so.
2 Likes   November 13, 2014 at 10:26AM
mefor
Whether a post is old or new, you should read what's transpired so you aren't repeating something already said. Don't just throw out advice based on the top of dilemma, often they have evolved into something completely different than original question. If you feel a thread is too long to read, then find one that isn't.
2 Likes   November 13, 2014 at 10:50AM
ruthmand
Wow, Fred S, your comment is really uncalled for. There is nothing wrong with making a suggestion. There are a lot of people new to Houzz and are unaware of all its intricacies. Frankly, I find the website becoming less and less user friendly and who has time to fully inform themselves of all the options. I certainly don't because I do get lots of exercise. You seem to take this very personal - maybe you should go out and get some exercise as well!
0 Likes   November 13, 2014 at 10:52AM
Fred S
Ruthmand, I am out getting exercise. I do this on a phone. If I can read that this is an old post on this little thing, then I would expect a "pro" to actually take enough interest in a dilemma to notice the date.
"There is nothing wrong with making a suggestion." That is precisely what I am doing.
0 Likes   November 13, 2014 at 11:06AM
Fred S
The suggestion to make the OP date visible for a dilemma before you have to click on it has been made several times, including by myself.
0 Likes   November 13, 2014 at 11:10AM
ruthmand
Well, that is a very good suggestion and I hope they take note at Houzz.
0 Likes   November 13, 2014 at 11:24AM