Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Garage Roof decision???
liannet
December 31, 2012 in Design Dilemma
There's 2 options (pix posted) and we can't really visualize which would look best. Option A is a torched on slanted roof. Option B is a torched on flat roof with metal fascia. Option C (no pix) was low profile metal roof. The garage is partially embedded 12' out. Because it's a triple, we're concerned that the roof will dominate the overall look of the house. Any suggestions/thoughts??? Thanks.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patty526
I like A , and am thinking this is a front view? Can you bring the roof line to the house, then go straight across with it? Then you get some visual interest, but you arn't drawing attention to the double. Then you can make those upstairs windows a little more symmetrical. Ie, to match the right side?
December 31, 2012 at 3:39PM   
liannet
It is a front view. We also thought to balance the windows as you suggest. Re bringing roof line to the house and then straight across, not sure which roof line you're referring to. We will probably remove that thin wall on the right side of the garage and extend the angled roof 2 feet on the high side. Is this what you mean?
December 31, 2012 at 4:09PM   
carolannr
I think opt B is more symmetrical and less offensive.
December 31, 2012 at 4:31PM     
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I agree that Option B is much more cohesive.
December 31, 2012 at 4:37PM     
patty526
You can make it work, as is, drawing the single roof to the double, then across, match up the windows, and all is good. Or you could use plan b and balance with doors that look 'barn like' on the double, but the last door will be obviously be a garage, nothing wrong with that. I like a slope for the front view to the last garage, it gives more interest to the front, but changing the window will make in in sync, with the rest of the front, without drawing attention to the fact that it's a 3 for. I don't think the roof angle is off so much, as it's the windows.
December 31, 2012 at 4:44PM   
patty526
And, angle is important on the roof, but if it works better, consider it added texture. Houses do not need to have absolutely the same roof line, and you can put a parapate(?) wall up a bit to match the angle of the top floor. The parapate would give you more options for textures on the front...brick, siding, etc.
December 31, 2012 at 4:53PM   
ruthmand
To me, Option A accentuates the double garage door whereas Option B, with some roof overhang, diminishes it somewhat. Note that the above renderings are flat and do not reflect the perspective. If, as you say, the garage extends out beyond the entry then the angled roof (A) is going to look rather odd. I urge you to look at a 3D drawing of all sides of your home before making a decision.
December 31, 2012 at 5:59PM   
houssaon
Option B seems to keep the whole horizontal flow going.
December 31, 2012 at 6:42PM   
mstanford
Option B definitely. You could even hip the end to match the top roof line. This elevation flows with the rest of you roof line.
December 31, 2012 at 6:54PM     
hmschoolmom
I think B for sure. The angle on the sloped garage roof seems to be about 10 degrees and the other roofline 20 which in this case looks strange to me, personally. It also looks like the the one-sided slope makes the garage a feature and an unfinished looking one at that. It looks like "what goes up must come down--but doesn't" since the rest of the house appears to have more traditional lines. If there were at least one more slanted contemporary-looking roof line, then maybe. Like one from the upstairs right slanting upwards toward the left.
January 1, 2013 at 6:28AM   
PRO
Dytecture
I also vote for option 'B'.
January 1, 2013 at 7:42AM   
PRO
Eurocerob
Option 'B' has my vote .
January 1, 2013 at 8:13AM   
PRO
Kensington Construction
Option B, without a doubt.
January 1, 2013 at 11:06AM   
linsleya
Option B extends the horizontal line of the roof over the entry. Always try to go with an option that looks the most natural with the existing home.
January 1, 2013 at 6:34PM     
More Discussions
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
Living room needed
I would like help designing my living room. It is 19'...
What type of border needed for tiling stairs?
We are planning on taking the wood look porcelain tile...
42" wall cabinets
What is the standard ceiling height for 42" wall cabinets?...
Now What???!
So we bought this reclining couch set , very hard to...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.