Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need to replace bedroom carpet to look good with rest of carpet
bjdusa
December 31, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I have a contemporary styled condo with a beigeish gray plush carpet which is no longer availaable. Should I try to match this existing carpet?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nancy Hehmann
I probably would either match or switch to hardwoods. They really are not difficult to lay down and could increase the value of your condo if you own it.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 3:43PM
PRO
Granite Grannies
Will they be directly next to each other? Even if they are, you could add a threshold to separate the bedroom carpet from the hall/ whatever is next to it. If the carpet is no longer available then trying for a close match might just look off. I'd go for a different carpet, maybe one that compliments the existing carpet. Of course, like Carolina Photo said, hardwood is the number one choice.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 3:45PM
bjdusa
Thanks for your help.Yes, they are directly next to each other. I have hardwood in my kitchen, but for bedroom above garage, I need carpet for warmth. The threshold idea sounds interesting. How do I do that?
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 5:49PM
PRO
Granite Grannies
You could do something as simple as a level wood threshold like the first picture. Universal Design

or you could do an interesting raised threshold like the second picture Summerhouse Skåne

The third picture shows your average wood transition Contemporary Shingle Style Mudroom

We've done some really cool granite thresholds that are basically an obtuse isosceles triangle. You could make one out of brick, wood, granite, marble, metal....really anything that would complement the home well.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 7:13PM
PRO
Granite Grannies
And since they are next to each other, unless you can get a carpet that look exactly the same, I would recommend finding a different, but complementary carpet. Depending on the age of the pre-existing carpet, it may even look off if you find an exact match, like when people add brand new hardwood right next to older, more worn wood of the exact same wood, finish, and cut. Or when you clean one area of a wall, and realize that you know have a bright spot.
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 7:15PM
Sue Ann Stevens
What about using a hardwood in the hall and then it frees you up to choose whatever carpet you want for that bedroom. I'm making an assumption that "next to" regarding carpet from adjacent area means that the door to the bedroom that needs the replacement carpet comes off a hallway or passage.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 7:43PM
olldroo
I would go for a totally different look to the room and match the carpet to it. I always feel with decorating, that if something has to be different, then make sure it is different, make it a WOW factor rather than an apology for not fitting in.
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 9:53PM
bjdusa
I like this idea-just have to figure out what to do. Thanks.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 9:21PM
olldroo
Tell us what you have, add some photos, and we will probably have you more confused than ever :) ........ at least you will have more choices.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 9:33PM
More Discussions
Need help with window Treatments
We just completed a major kitchen remodel and installed...
Help my master bedroom is boring!
Help ideas for curtains and bedding
Our new sunroom.
Walls are a light gray with blue tint. Chairs are...
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
Should doors to other rooms in the kitchen match cabinet style?
I have 2 doors in my kitchen (1 to walk in pantry and...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.