powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I need serious help with my kitchen floor plan.
Kathy Mosier
December 31, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We have remodeled then entire house, except the kitchen. My husband and I can't agree on a plan. The lighting is bad, the work flow is not efficient, and the table is always in the way. I can't even open the oven w/out moving the table or at least a chair first! Oh yes, and that IS the front door beside the fridge!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
houssaon
Can you close off the entry that seems to go to the hall? Where is the other door going to? Can that be closed off and maybe relocated? Do you want the kitchen to have an eating are right in the middle? Could the table be moved to the family room area?

I can see reducing the foot print of the kitchen, if the hallway door is closed up and the opening that is almost across from the front door moved over so it is directly across from the front door. That way you will have a contained kitchen and more of a foyer.

In my ideal kitchen, the sink is across from the range and the refrigerator is to one side.
December 31, 2012 at 6:07pm     
hmschoolmom
What sort of a budget are you working with--complete re-do or cosmetic changes?

Are you putting in new cabinets? What are you willing to move? Plumbing? Electrical?

Do you want to keep the bar/peninsula?
January 1, 2013 at 7:16am   
hmschoolmom
More questions: do you want to keep a desk area? Was the fridge always next to the door or is that where you want it? Would you be interested in an island and sacrifice the eat-in kitchen or is that your only dining area?

It seems this kitchen went through some sort of a faulty remodel in its past. :-)
January 1, 2013 at 7:24am   
newyorkgirl
You should probably get like a white tile (or marble) floor and then switch around the accessories in your house. It'll look great I swear!
January 1, 2013 at 7:28am   
PRO
Dytecture
A proper floor plan would be useful when planning a kitchen renovation.

The main issue I see is there is circulation cutting into the kitchen from every direction. There might need to be a more drastic alternation to the flow of the house from the main entry.
January 1, 2013 at 7:30am     
PRO
Davis Design Group, llc
Looks like there is a dining area on the other side of the room by the china cabinet- can you get rid of the table and chairs in the middle of the kitchen?
January 1, 2013 at 7:39am     
sacapuntaslapioz
Is there any other place you could move that front door. any other door outside that could function as the front door?
January 1, 2013 at 7:51am     
sacapuntaslapioz
could you please post a floorplan with dimensions?
January 1, 2013 at 8:03am   
Kathy Mosier
The desk needs to go...the front door unfortunately has to stay...the bar/peninsula can go.. (would like an island, but not sure if I have room). Yes, the little used dining room is right beside the kitchen. The door in the back corner is to a large pantry. We have discussed bumping it out to be a corner panty that goes all the way back. We are getting new cabinets...as hmschoolmom said "it went thru a faulty remodel" we were "kids" and repurposed cabinets from another house....did our best, but needs a drastic update. Plumbing must stay the same (sink stays..d/w can be moved to other side of sink). Electical can be changed. Basically the shape of the room and the location of the sink needs to stay (sorry no taking walls or doorways out), everything else is subject to change. I attached a current floorplan & an "idea" I have put together.
January 1, 2013 at 10:43am   
hmschoolmom
You put a lot of work into that floor plan. I know how challenging it can be to mentally "live" in a plan on paper. Some considerations: while you were careful about your work triangle I don't think you have enough work and counter space near your appliances. The island is a great idea but with seating on the stove end, and lack of much counter space near the stove, it may prove uncomfortable for prep and cooking. I would rethink the location of the fridge. In your existing kitchen and drawing it has to share counter space with the sink. Sinks are notoriously selfish and can use all the counter space you can give them. I think it would make your entrance much more pleasing to not be right next to the side of a fridge. Moving a stove is a much bigger deal than relocating a fridge.

I would consider putting the fridge in a built in with cabinets on the side where your stove currently sits since you can't move the hall door. I would consider putting a stove/cooktop in the island instead or on the sink wall. The pantry area ;"(where your desk is now) seems "estranged" for a cooking location.
January 2, 2013 at 6:05am   
hmschoolmom
Is that hall door the only way to get to the rooms? If not, I would strongly consider closing it off. It appears that there is another opening about 10' down or so in the other side of the peninsula. It would give you phenomenal space to work with.
January 2, 2013 at 6:17am   
Kathy Mosier
Thank you. I was considering moving the fridge. I want to make the cabinets along the wall a "drink station" (possibly wine fridge & drink glasses) so adding the fridge there would make sense. What do you think of putting in a short wall between the sink cabinets & the doorway? Didn't know if that would help the "foyer" feel. I would love to close off the hallway door, however, I do like being able to drop the groceries in the kitchen right from the garage. The main floor bath is also right out that door. I am afraid that will make a long (30') hallway. I will have to do some thinking about that. We also regret the fact that we added the broom closet off the stairs (back side of kitchen) but it is done & won't be changed now. I also considered a set of wall ovens & a cooktop. We just got the new double convection oven/stove less than a year ago (trying to purchase appliances slowly to reduce the costs). But not as I dreamed, as you have to stand on your head to get anything out of the bottom oven! I totally agree with you about the desk area....I have a stove taped on the floor right now & am trying to imagine myself cooking there...just feels wrong. Where would you suggest putting the ovens then? In the bar? Where I have the stove drawn? Where the fridge currently is? Do you like the corner pantry idea? That corner just feels wasted now, if I enclose it, I gain TONS of storage. Thank you...I appreciate your ideas. We have been contemplating for a long time & I want to get it done before our 2 kids graduate and don't get any enjoyment/use out of it!
January 2, 2013 at 3:41pm   
Kathy Mosier
Also...would you get different bar stools? I am not sure I can get 2 more that are exact matches. They match my dining room set. I also want to de-country somewhat. (Like get rid of the ladder hanging above the bar/peninsula.)
January 2, 2013 at 3:43pm   
Natalie
Hi---I do agree with hmschoolmom---close off the hallway. There are too many entry points into your work area-plus the table smack in the middle must be frustrating. Once that doorway is closed-the ideas and possibilities will flourish. You have lots of room---I do think the refrigerator should be moved, but the sink should stay-nice to look outside and not worth the expense to relocate plumbing. HOpe this is helpful. Good Luck!
[houzz=Living in Southern Oregon][houzz=Port Angeles Contemporary Kitchen Remodel]
January 2, 2013 at 4:01pm   
Kathy Mosier
Traditional Kitchen Cabinets design by Other Metro Tile Stone And Countertop Quality Stone Concepts
January 2, 2013 at 4:52pm   
Kathy Mosier
How do you add pictues from this website? I see some ideas that I would like suggestions on.
January 2, 2013 at 4:53pm   
PRO
State Wide Construction & Remodeling
The best option is to have a contractor create a 3D computer layout and design. I offer free in home consultations to all residents of the greater Los Angeles area. I would be glad to take a look and make some suggestions.
January 2, 2013 at 11:35pm   
hmschoolmom
I think your idea of adding a wall between the front door and the sink wall of cabinets is a good idea. Definitely something to consider when you finalize a plan.

Here's are some thoughts since closing off the door is not an option.

1) What about using that desk wall for your fridge? (Just thinkin' out of the box here) It would give a nice reason to be there. If you put the fridge on the right side, you could have a cozy nook for coffee, wines, etc. or just for fridge. I sort of did that in my kitchen.

2) OR put the cooktop in the island and use the desk wall for wall ovens with some counter space for hot dishes to land on. I'm not sure about keeping or creating the "L" on the left side yet. You may not need that with a nice sized island. I'm thinking the cooktop should be on the sink side in the middle somewhat, not the end for cooking's sake.

3) This could give you the whole other side for seating (like you drew) and a wall of counter/cabinets on the current stove wall. It could be used for your drink station, prep, buffet, desk. (and if fridge goes on desk wall, wall ovens or oven under counters) It would make a pleasant wall to look at when you enter the home. In that case, add the wall directly to the right of the front door like you considered but only extend it 3-4 inches beyond the sink wall counters to keep a comfortable entry to sink counter area

Decor thoughts--nice backsplash on the walls. Whatever cabinets you choose, if you have that long unified wall of counter/cabinets opposite the front door, it could make a beautiful statement without interruption. If the fridge goes near the pantry, you keep your work triangle working well, and with empty island counter space at that end, it will make a perfect landing spot for fridge food.

For bar stool question: We found a used pub height table with 6 chairs and by purchasing it, we used the chairs for our counter height bar stools much cheaper than buying 6 chairs alone, new or used. We tossed the table (it was scratched....)

Let me know if any of these ideas may work. I'm excited for you!
January 3, 2013 at 6:35am   
hmschoolmom
I think your idea of adding a wall between the front door and the sink wall of cabinets is a good idea. Definitely something to consider when you finalize a plan.

Here's are some thoughts since closing off the door is not an option.

*What about using that desk wall for your fridge instead? (Just thinkin' out of the box here) It would give a nice reason to be there. If you put the fridge on the right side, you could have a cozy nook for coffee or simply a place for food to land from fridge etc.

I'm not sure about keeping or creating the "L" on the left side yet (behind your broom closet) You may not need that with a nice sized island and with the "L" counter it seems to emphasize the "cut off portion" of the kitchen.

I'm thinking the cooktop should be in the island, on the sink side, not the end for cooking's sake, or instead of a cooktop, an island type stove. They are more economical than a cook top and wall ovens. Depends on your preferences.

This could give you the whole other side for seating (like you drew) and a wall of counter/cabinets. That area could be used for your drink station, prep, buffet, desk. It would make a pleasant wall to look at when you enter the home. In that case, add the short wall directly to the right of the front door but only extend it a 3-4 inches beyond the sink wall counters.

Decor thoughts--nice backsplash on the walls, especially the wall facing the front door. Whatever cabinets you choose, if you have that long unified wall of counter/cabinets opposite the front door, it could make a beautiful statement without interruption. If the fridge goes near the pantry, you keep your work triangle working well, and with empty island counter space at that end, it will also make a perfect landing spot for fridge food and cooking prep.

For bar stool question: We found a used pub height table with 6 chairs and by purchasing it, we used the chairs for our counter height bar stools much cheaper than buying 6 chairs alone, new or used. We tossed the table (it was scratched....)

Let me know if any of these ideas work. I'm excited for you!
January 3, 2013 at 6:48am   
hmschoolmom
Hope these links to some inspiration pics I found work.

Inspiration for sink wall across from island:
Traditional Kitchen

Inspiration for fridge wall (just add fridge to right. :-)
Teri Turan

similar layout: replace cabinets on the left of this pic with your fridge area and then reverse the whole thing
Woodinville Retreat

or here's stove and sink on same wall, island empty. Just place fridge on desk wall:
Pennsylvania Farm House

More inspiration:
Kitchens
Robinson's Bay Residence
January 3, 2013 at 7:41am   
Natalie
I just read your post about the 30' hallway and why you really want to leave the doorway. Yes, you will have to walk about another 10' but I think you'd be happy to sacrifice that conveniency for a great kitchen. The pony wall at the entry is not really necessary if cabinets are added to the right of the sink-perhaps a divider on the left as you enter would be more favorable---see Pics... Good Luck![houzz=White kitchen and breakfast room with fireplace and arches 1][houzz=White kitchen and breakfast room with fireplace and arches 2]
January 3, 2013 at 8:16am   
Kathy Mosier
Natalie - Thank you for your post. I actually put those 2 pictures into my ideabook earlier. You can't really see from the pictures, but we have white wainscot/trim halfway up the dining room walls and these pillar/half walls would be a nice addition.
January 3, 2013 at 5:06pm     
Natalie
OH I see it now Kathy---what a nice feature. I think this is going to turn out amazing---you have a lot of room and a lot of points of entry, LOL! Keep us posted and Good Luck!
January 3, 2013 at 5:39pm   
Kathy Mosier
hmschoolmom- You have both myself and my husband excited on starting this project. We keep looking at just how bad our kitchen looks in the photos (granted he just put up the broken ceiling fan & there is stuff laying all over.) But that disgust is actually beneficial. We actually talked about several of the options you mentioned above after reading your prior post. He even suggested putting the stovetop in the island!!!

I think you are right about the bank of cabinets/cupboards greeting guests as they enter the house. (Like the Teri Turan...only larger!! Oh I like!)

The cabinets we are looking at are hickory with an aburn finish. I love the look of white too, but don't think we will be going that way. We don't know about countertops yet, but are definetly doing a tile backsplash. I also want nice, yet interesting pendants over the island. - I think we will have 4.

I am still interested in your thoughts on the corner pantry.

And I like the idea of the fridge by the pantry (where would you put the stove if you did that?). However, I think I like your idea of it on the hall wall better. We do a lot of entertaining and I can see setting up the island w/food and the drinks on the wall cabinets, creating a nice traffic flow around the island and back into the dining/living room.

I have also seen designs w/the fridge and wall ovens beside each other...would it be too much to have them both by the pantry and not do the "L"?...there wouldn't be any place to set stuff down except on the island or by the sink. Just throwing a thought out there.

Oh, I just want to start ripping the old cabinets out!
January 3, 2013 at 5:56pm   
Kathy Mosier
Here is a new floor plan. Think "Woodinville Retreat" photo above. Idea? Comments? Opinions? Thank you for all your help. I think we are finally getting close!
January 4, 2013 at 5:14pm