Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Centerpiece for dining table
aprilgregg
December 31, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I'm in the process of redecorating my formal dining room. I like earth tones and rich colors but I feel the room is too bland. Any ideas? I've always struggled with a centerpiece. The table is large - 5'x8'. Any suggestions?
Oh... And please disregard the Legos! :-)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
pcmom1
I would remove the tall candlesticks. Perhaps add a very small round table to the corner where the two prints are and place those there. Then I would search out a rich fabric piece to place on your table. An antique silk shawl maybe. Fabric would break up the expanse of the wood. Then place a large shallow glass bowl in the center filled with a fern or fruit.

Besides hunting houzz for "tables", go to upscale furniture to see how they accessorize.
December 31, 2012 at 7:04pm     
PRO
PLC Interiors
How about a large graphic tone-on-tone wallpaper in a neutral color?
December 31, 2012 at 7:10pm     
Natalie
PLC Interiors you are right on track... I was thinking the same thing when I first looked at the photo. Custom mural perhaps???
I like something unexpected for your table. Off-set floral, globe, books, candles, etc. Pics for inspiration. Hope it's helpful. Nice room... Good Luck!
[houzz=Bathing Room][houzz=Urban Living - Pacific Heights]
December 31, 2012 at 8:02pm     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
One of the most memorable dining table displays I recall doing was at the home of a glamorous divorcee who had been a great horsewoman. She had a dining table that was seldom used so I placed upon this table one of her beautiful English saddles, with an old bridle spread out across it. Other horse memorabilia we arrayed on her powder room walls. So my suggestion is something personal, whether it be a quilt in progress or a repetition of antique watering cans. Personal is best.

I like silver items, be they jewelry, flatware or teapots. One year for Thanksgiving week, I lined up a series of antique silver cream pitchers, each filled with flowers, on the living room mantel. Then for Thanksgiving dinner, I moved them into the dining room, placing a small flower filled cream pitcher at each place setting. Yummmm!
December 31, 2012 at 8:21pm     
PRO
karen paul interiors
I like your room very much but I would definitely "tweak" the walls and give them more depth. As for centerpieces, I happen to favor the utmost simplicity and good scale. I'm posting a photo which you could use effectively.
December 31, 2012 at 10:48pm     
pcmom1
I love design! We have comments here from keeping the center piece very simple (and who needs anything with that beautiful gleaming wall?), to totally filling the table with personal items. And both would work! Just depends on which direction strikes your fancy.

One thing that stands out to me, is that your chandelier is very ornate and curvy, while your furniture and chairs are very simple and sharp edged. Maybe either change out chairs to something upholstered or change chandy to something simple.
January 1, 2013 at 7:50am     
aprilgregg
I think you are right about table vs chandelier. I'd like to keep cost low.
January 1, 2013 at 8:36am   
PRO
You have an ornate circular design in the rug. I think the chandelier would be fine if you switched out the mirror to a round one.
January 1, 2013 at 8:49am     
decoenthusiaste
I just noticed the missing lampshade on the buffet as I was comparing the height of the candlesticks with the buffet lamps. They're so tall you could almost set the candlesticks on the floor under the two pictures. Try them at different heights by stacking antique books at different levels under them. You do need to break up the linearity of the whole picture and add more bling, so here are some ideas.
Glamour Dining Room
Willowgrove Dining Room
Joni Spear Interior Design
Sask Cres Dining Room
January 1, 2013 at 9:04am     
aprilgregg
Here's a better picture of the dining room.
January 1, 2013 at 9:15am     
Natalie
Very nice... I like your chairs and table and took that into account when I selected those items mentioned for the centerpiece. I definitely think you should consider a cream colored painted mural with a flower/tree/vine design OR lighter wall color (lightest hue in your rug) to add a little contrast and interest. Currently the floor, walls, draperies, and ceiling are very close in hue and shade---therefore either something has to be done to the walls (lighter paint, wallpaper, mural) or the drapes should be changed to something darker. Pics for inspiration. Hope it's helpful. Good Luck! [houzz=Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.][houzz=D I N I N G][houzz=Cortese Dining Room 3]
January 1, 2013 at 10:19am     
pcmom1
Different mirror, something round or with some curves, would really do it!

And to keep costs down, you could add just a band of contrasting color to each outside edge of your drapes.
January 1, 2013 at 11:47am