Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How to Modernise & Update Front Aspect Design
jgabbani
December 31, 2012 in Design Dilemma
My husband & I have just bought our first home. Most of the interior has been renovated in a modern/contemporary design which we love, however the outside front aspect of the house was not updated. We would very much appreciate any ideas or input as to how the front aspect can be modernised & updated and are anxious to decide on the necessary improvements as soon as possible & preferably prior to moving into the property. Being first time home owners we are complete novices at renovating a property. Thank you.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Structural changes are expensive. Paint is cheap (relatively). I'd paint the exterior wall and the white parts of the house's facade with a medium gray paint so that the house looks a bit more serious.
Large clay pots of flowers and greenery would be welcoming on each side of the gate. The exterior lighting and house numbers need updating.

The architects on houzz are going to have to tell you how to correct the rest of it. I'll offer more when you get to the interior. That entry roof line looks like it has lost its columns and is about to fly away.
December 31, 2012 at 8:04PM   
mattysavager
I agree with Carolyn - a new coat of paint can make a world of difference. There's really not too much about the house that 'screams' a certain decade - so you're luckier than lots of us. I hate that teracotta colour on the gable ends personally, and I think that would be good to paint out.

I would consider painting al the bits that are currently white a darker more serious colour (grey, taupe etc) and then paint the trim and the entry ceiling white.

Also consider painting the roof - as it is a big element and teracotta tile colour doesn't always work with your colour scheme.

If you want to make some more permanent changes, you could consider filling in the gable roof lines so they become box gables - and I agree with Carolyn that the entrance roof looks like it is missing a column on the left side.
December 31, 2012 at 8:20PM   
houssaon
I would paint the siding and the trim the same color to emphasize the modern vibe of the structure, which it has already. Think Lenox tan HC-44 and Yorkshire Tan HC-23 are a close match to the stone. It doesn't need any structural finishes. Brandon Beige 977 by Benjamin Moore is a good grayed beige, but the stone will be more noticeable.

I wonder why the underside of the porch roof is black. You migh want to lighten that up to an off-white. Or a really pale blue.
December 31, 2012 at 9:12PM   
jgabbani
Thanks for the constructive input. See additional photos of front aspect to provide you with a better visual of the house.
December 31, 2012 at 10:57PM   
houssaon
If you paint the underside of the overhang light blue, then you could paint the trellis that color too. It would soften the look. Do you need that picket fence on the porch?
December 31, 2012 at 11:52PM