powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Which option do you prefer for a small 5 x 9 hallway bath?
Melissa Doan - Weidel Realtors - New Hope
January 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This bathroom will temporarily be an only bathroom (quite possibly for over a year). Our dilemma: We would love to be able to have a tub in the house, but a tub can look very bulky in the corner space it must sit in within the room due to window placement on a busy street etc. Photo 1 shows a modern shower option with a quick rough paintbrush rendering while photo 2 shows the bathroom styled around the tub. With this option, (major con) the water/curtain situation could get a little awkward. The bathroom is apx. 5x9. The shower and/or tub can be 60 x 30 max to feel comfortable. Bear in mind storage/cabinets are not an issue for us. Which option do you prefer for this updated folk victorian in a town center setting... the modern shower option or the shower/tub option?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kitasei
Wrestling with the same dilemma myself, and concluded that a shower that has a low bench, a generous portable basin, and handheld showerhead, would provide almost all that a tub does. It may not be ideal for bathing a child, but it is much better for an older or disabled person who can not climb over the side of a tub. On a separate note, I am wondering about the privacy you can enjoy in this ground floor bathroom of a house in the center of town. It will be shame to cover up the window or not be able to open it for fresh air. How will you address that?
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 3:25AM
Billie G
We had the same dilemma when we were renovating our 1880 house. We chose modern walk in shower in glass and we are very happy with our choice. It has no doors to worry about and provides the illusion of more space. Even the previous owner was surprised how much bigger the bathroom looks like now. Go for modern shower, but without the tub at the base. That way your space will not be sectioned off. The shower tiles can be laid with a small slope towards the back of the shower. In the end you can install a full shower width Easy drain.
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 4:40AM
PRO
Hi Kitasei! Isn't it a tough dillemma when it comes to your own living space?! I am leaning towards what you're leaning towards for sure and hoping that at some point there can be a 2nd bath in this house with room for the tub. As for privacy, although the window is front facing on a busy street it is actually 2nd floor which helps. Therefore we plan to have it open most of the time for the light and air it lets in which feeds into the hallway (definitely helpful in a small home to create more of an open feel). We will have to draw the wooden or roman shades when showering as you can actually see up if you're really looking. Also one quick correction... bath is 6x9, not 5x9. :)
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 4:43AM
PRO
Here is another rendering of the more modern bath with budget in mind.. although the shower will actually be longer (not an option on the rendering program) and the glass would be frameless... and also another rendering of the bathroom with tub. As you can see the bathroom is much more zen, open and spa-like with the shower along. In this case, I would include basket of crisp white towels and other toiletries as needed throughout the bathroom while keeping the minimalist feel. (Disclaiming that the funky rug in the tub pic as well as the gold curtain rod are only used in the rendering due to lack of options! Also, in reality tile would ONLY surround shower, not continue on entire walls.) In both cases, we will have to make do with our current toilet and sink for budget.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 4:55AM
PRO
Another angle with stall shower only (which is actually about 1.5 off scale.. would be longer and closer to toilet in reality... also, blinds would actually be fit to window.) Just trying to get a feel for which set up houzzers like best!
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 4:59AM
sacapuntaslapioz
The tub. there are circular shower curtain rails which are very attractive. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=10525730&RN=763&
also I consider any bathroom where the toilet is hidden from inmediate view is much more attractive.
Besides you want a tub, and a tub is always an asset. Good luck. it should be a very beautiful bathroom
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 5:03AM