Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
End table height and size rules
colleen100
January 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
So I picked up a round end table. Seeing the walls still need a painting and am in need of prints on the wall, does this table work? Also where should prints be placed on the wall...both walls around the table or one wall? Please help... Finishing this room is my New Years dream! I am aware the lamp size is not right. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Jayme H.
I like your table, but it seems small and maybe too high, but pics can be deceiving also. Your cat looks just like ours..Louie. I would place one print or two smaller stacked ones with some inbetween space on that wall in pic. Do u have any more pics of the room?
January 1, 2013 at 4:32am   
colleen100
Sure, I will post more now. Ok I thought too small also. I moved the couches closer together but it still seems small to me and a but too high:(. Not sure how to buy the right size.
January 1, 2013 at 4:50am   
Jayme H.
I googled it and there is a bunch of info. The height can vary some. I would google it and read a few articles. For me, if it's been an end table, about one inch below height of arm has worked well..not too low as not to access it easily. Sorry I am not more specific. There was info according to varying scenarios on this subject in what I read...
January 1, 2013 at 5:13am   
jolice05
I enjoy my side table. Though a little too high, it is practical and if I wish to change my room, it is big enough to seat two people for a small meal.
January 1, 2013 at 5:34am   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
The height looks fine to me, but the diameter is too small for where it is placed. I'd look for something in the 26-28" diameter range.
January 1, 2013 at 6:31am     
colleen100
ok that is a good suggestions Carolyn. On my way looking again. The size is close to a coffee table size at 28 inches. It is a large opening so maybe that is the size. What about the other sides of the couches. Do they all need a table? I have a difficult room in that it blends right into the kitchen.
January 1, 2013 at 7:10am   
PRO
About the only time I use end tables is in a situation like yours where you have a sofa and loveseat in an L formation. There are a couple of reasons for this. One is that sofas these days are frequently placed out in the middle of a room with a sofa table and lamps behind them and a coffee table in front of them. In your case, you do not need to use end tables and can instead use a floor lamp. But if you like end tables and have the space, you certainly can use them.

Where a pair of chairs is placed together, I use a table between the chairs. I like that table to be of approximately chair arm height and 14 to 24" diameter. Occasionally I will use a bigger table between two chairs, perhaps 30" diameter and 30" high. When I place a chair alone and it's not close to the coffee table, I give it a small table on which to set a coffee cup or wine glass.
January 1, 2013 at 7:38am