Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
End table height size rules help
Colleen
January 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Is this end table ok here? Color, size, height? Trying out some suggestions from houzz friends and went with this. I need a bold lamp and some prints which will fill in the space better. Question ... If the table is good here, where do pro td go? Both walls?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Colleen
More photos of this room...
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 5:16AM
olldroo
Sorry, what is pro td?
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 5:29AM
newyorkgirl
Has to, has to, HAS TO be taller! That thing is tiny! Buy something that looks like it, but taller!
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 7:38AM
jjandhk
i think it's a good height, but would like to see it a bit larger in diameter.
3 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 7:42AM
Colleen
Its really not tiny at all!!! Its the table gets lost in the big space. I will return it and keep looking.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 7:48AM
pcmom1
End table height just depends on what it is next to. You want to be able to reach over easily to sit a drink down. Don't want to have to reach up, or down. So, looks a little too tall (and way too small in diameter).

Totally off subject. How about moving that cute little secretary desk I see over and under the mirror (where bench is). Looks like it would work great there. You could try the table posted above in its place holding a fern.
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 7:59AM
feeny
Agree that it might be just a tad tall for an end table, but still workable and a good height for a table lamp if it is in a corner or near a wall (as it is currently placed in your photos). If it were floating at the end of a sofa or placed between two chairs with low arms, I'd prefer something shorter. But I generally prefer end tables that are on the shorter side (closer to coffee table height) as I find them easier to perch drinks on. If its primary purpose is to hold a lamp then the higher height is more appropriate.
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 8:10AM
golfbeach
If you can't replace the table with something larger, I suggest you add a larger round table top and cover with a fabric skirt to the floor. Cover the fabric with a glass topper and you won't need to worry about wet glasses or scratches! Have your local lumber yard cut the top from mdf or plywood.
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 8:15AM
decoenthusiaste
It appears that your "green" piece and your mirror need to be paired as they carry a similar weight and style. If your little secretary desk has a drop leaf, why not angle it in your corner, drop the leaf and treat it as a table? Your lamp should work with it and not seem too small. If you need containment for the TV components and cords, try a low credenza and a paintable chase.
2 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 8:16AM
pcmom1
Good point Feeny!
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 8:24AM
pcmom1
Yes, secretary would be too small under the mirror. I think I'd better have a second cup of coffee!
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 8:25AM
Colleen
OK, so if I move the desk in the corner and put the lamp on top of it that may work. I will try that in a few. I am not following the green tv unit piece. That has to stay where it is. Wasn't sure if you suggested moving that.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 8:27AM
Colleen
pcmom1 your too funny....I just moved it and yes it's way to small :) LOL
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 8:28AM
Colleen
Moved things around. Whatcha think now?
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 8:36AM
feeny
IMO the round end table is too tall for its placement at the end of the sofa--mostly because it is taller than the sofa arm, so your guest has to reach up to perch a drink.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 8:52AM
pcmom1
I like the secretary in the corner with the lamp on it!

And since we are having fun, how about trying round table under the mirror (slightly off to the left side with bench moved out) with the two candles from the coffee table on top.
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 11:55AM
Colleen
Hmmm not working here either. The table is moments away from my trunk for returns:(
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 12:20PM
decoenthusiaste
Yes, I think we've found the place for the secretary and yes, I was suggesting you move the green piece under the mirror because their style and scale are very well matched. When you return the table, be on the watch for a replacement tv console. Take measurements of that space and the distance from the floor to TV.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 12:52PM
Colleen
Ok ladies.. Does this look like a winner?
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 1:32PM
jjandhk
love the style--not sure about the color--I really like the dark wood you had first. I really like the way you had the room set up in your first post. Which ever table you purchase for that corner, I would move it in closer to the 2 armrests--I think it maybe looks too small because it is floating away from the furniture.

Just a fun thought...I wonder what your mirror-wall would look like if you lowered the mirror about 1 foot; can you use the bench underneath it for some display--a tall pot of dried weeds? books, some art, etc. (at least until you maybe find a console for that space, with a bit more height?)
2 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 3:11PM
Colleen
Thanks everyone for the help...it's amazing how pieces can be moved for a whole new life. I moved the desk to the corner (for now) and Moved the end table where the desk was. It's working for now. Will get some prints for the walls and see how that changes the corner. Deco enthusiast, the piece would fit on that wall but really think it fits under the tv so well (or does it not:) I I we're to get another 55in unit for the other wall I feel it would be too much furniture and right to pass to the hallway. I'm looking for something solid and heavier than the table I had there bit narrow enough that it will not be competing with the tv console table. Seeing all these changes taking place, I'm clearly seeing walls need to be painted.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 3:41PM
Colleen
Ok so this is the desk open in the corner. Need a better lamp and accessories/prints. The table on the left still not working but wanted to show u all:). Thoughts?
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 4:38AM
pcmom1
I think the round table looks nice there. I would add something to the floor next to it, between it and the sofa, such as a plant, or a round brass container filled with a few large books or magazines.

Would you post some shots of the other side of our room? And, I'm wondering about either a new place for the mirror, or the bench. Mirror needs something "heavier" under it, I think.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 10:11AM
Colleen
Sure? Here are additional photos of the room.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 5:14AM
pcmom1
Is switching the positions of the mirror and tv a possibility? You could place a shallow console under tv (since it is a hallway wall), or even create shallow built ins. Hallway/tv wall could be painted in a dark color to help TV disappear.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 9:17AM
Colleen
I really didn't want to move the tv. It has to stay where it is. It's wired and my husband will not be thrilled with that. What is another option for the wall with the mirror?
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 11:43AM
lisalovesquilts
What about moving the cabinet from under the tv to under the mirror?
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 11:55AM
jjandhk
Hi Colleen, I wonder if you're going around in circles by now.....you originally were only asking about the corner table. :)
I liked your original layout--with a couple tweaks....unless you want a complete reno.
I liked the round table in the corner--could you possibly pull it closer to the sofas--so it doesn't appear to be floating away (and with a larger lamp, as you suggested)?
I also liked the secretary where it was--but maybe centered under the pictures?
You can then deal with the rest in its own time.
2 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 12:01PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
Colleen
just say the table, ....oooooo way too small for the corner of the sofas
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 12:10PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
go with a table that is at the height of the arms or a bit higher, the added surface space will be nice to hold a cup or glass while entertaining
1 Like   January 5, 2013 at 12:12PM
newyorkgirl
Yeah, it's way too small!
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 12:13PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
try craigslist in your area. an older piece would be nice. Rent Table.....is a table with drawers all around. that would be nice....you have a nice collection and with the solid sofas a table that is able to hold a few accessories is the way to go
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 12:15PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
oh FYI .....try selling your small table or swapping it
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 12:16PM
simplify52
I just want to say that I really like your space. It feels so homey and cozy. I do like the desk in the corner and I think you can get by with the lovely round table where it is, especially if you just love it. You've done a nice job and to me it feels like home!!! Enjoy!!!
1 Like   January 5, 2013 at 12:26PM
Colleen
Gary, please let me know the type of table you are suggesting! It sounds interesting. I will be returning this smaller round table :)
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 5:26AM
PRO
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 10:01AM
Colleen
Gary, very nice! Similar but far more investing and I love the aged look. What is the name of this type?
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 12:15PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
RENT TABLE, landlords would use this type to collect the rent.....each tenant was assigned a drawer for the monthly rent! thus 'rent table' Many are available at different price points, some with only one drawer...
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 12:18PM
Colleen
Thanks so much. Now the name makes sense!!!! Love it and will look around for sure:)
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 2:09PM