Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
help with placing chandelier in new home
katstein2
January 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Please advise best place for place meant of the chandelier. must be cautious of pricing to hang.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katstein2
this is photo of chandelier
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 6:14AM
katstein2
set electrical already in place above the dining table and where the celing fan is currently
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 6:15AM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
What information do you need about hanging the chandelier? If you want to know the proper height, I place chandeliers at 30 to 36" above the table, depending on the design of the chandelier. It's hard to make out the details on your chandelier, but it looks like one I'd hang at 36" above table. Since most tables are 30" high, give or take a half inch, that means that the bottom of the chandelier would be at 66" above the floor.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 6:58AM
Michelle Mink
Wow. Great space. Great chandelier.

It's not 100% necessary, but symmetry can help a space feel balanced. You have a lot of vertical and horizontal lines with the windows and the different levels and the walls and the floor. I would try to hang the chandelier 'symmetrically' with the ceiling fan.

As you face the front wall (where the TV is), is the ceiling fan placement centered with the left window that it is in front of? If yes, I would center your chandelier in front of the right window and, if possible, make it the same distance out from the front wall that the chandelier is out from the front wall. Hopefully, this will put it right over your dining table.

If the fan is not centered with the window, measure how far out from the side wall it is (and how far out from the front wall it is) and try to use the measurements on the opposite side for your chandelier and see what that looks like in terms of where your furniture is, where other walls are, etc.

Chandeliers can be hung at any height over a dining table starting usually around 29" and higher. I would hang your chandelier higher to give more overall light to the space and to help balance with the ceiling fan - though NOT AS HIGH as the ceiling fan. You might try half way between the dining table top and the height of the bottom of the ceiling fan.

When your electrician is there, you may want to try varying heights (with the chandelier lit, if possible) to see what looks best. If you get too far away from the table, the chandelier will feel disconnected from the table. If you hang it too low to the table, the chandelier will feel like it is only part of the dining area and not part of the rest of the room. Have some others with design sense with you during the installation.

[houzz=Venice Loft]
[houzz=Eclectic Dining Room]
[houzz=357 Tehama 3]
[houzz=Living Room / Dining Room.]
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 7:22AM
newyorkgirl
I think a chandelier with the diamonds hanging and has a bit of light purple in I will do! But even if its a bit out of budget, imagine what it would look like!
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 7:32AM