powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Advice! Should I move the TV/Console or not??
crissiesensing
January 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have the option of moving our TV/Console over @3ft. to align it with the light and coffer, BUT if I do the TV will no longer be centered on the wall :-/ Which is more important--being centered on the wall or aligned with the wall or the ceiling/light? (The space to the right of the TV would be @ 3 feet bigger and furniture would move closer to the front door if we move it) Any advice is appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
If you have the space to move it you will have a balanced room. That said I do not always balance rooms. Asymmetry has a beauty of it's own. The way the room is now looks very nice.
January 1, 2013 at 8:30am     
crissiesensing
Thank you! We haven't put up any art, etc. either since we are still moving in, so art may make the space seem less scattered. The room is large enough to move it, but barely. The sitting area will certainly be smaller and the front door is not that far from the back of the couch to the left--the entry area would be smaller...We added on to the room during construction and didn't allow for movement of the coffers/light. Our fault. But like you said, maybe the asymmetry cold work? I'm normally a stickler so that's why I've been pondering this.
January 1, 2013 at 8:43am   
PRO
Carol Mickey Designs, Inc.
I would definitely center the console and TV between the ceiling beams. Is it possible to move the
sofa and end table that is on the left, to the opposite side of the other sofa? That would balance out the room better.
January 1, 2013 at 8:50am   
collettec
I think it looks good like this - but can't get the perspective of the whole wall. With your art it would look different too, perhaps some art for the area left of the fireplace.
January 1, 2013 at 8:54am   
PRO
My vote is to center it. Can you move that sofa and end table to the right of the other sofa? I think that you still need artwork around the tv and console so they don't look like they are "floating."
January 1, 2013 at 9:11am   
crissiesensing
Carol, do you mean make the 2 sofas face each other? That was a thought too. So even with the tv no longer being centered on the wall I would have extra space to one side of the TV-bigger area than the other side...what could I do there?
January 1, 2013 at 9:15am   
PRO
If you had the sofas facing each other (which I like) then do a collage of artwork to the left of the console to help balance the wall space. I like asymmetry but I also like some balance in a room.
January 1, 2013 at 9:35am   
PRO
If you do this, would the light fixture need to be moved to the right? It's hard to tell without seeing the right side of the room.
January 1, 2013 at 9:36am   
crissiesensing
Here are 2 pictures of of both side of the room also. If I moved the console/TV I would be centering it on the light and coffer. I would probably have to make the sofa face each other anyway since the length of the couch the way it is wouldn't work. I would then have more space on the side where the Christmas tree is now and a smaller space by the arched doorway. Not centered on the wall, which has been my issue all along. I just don't know if that will look odd skewed to one side like that. I guess it depends on what goes in with art ,shelves,etc. The light wouldn't have to move. I may have enough room for a small seating area behind the couches facing the water which might be nice, but I just don't want it to be too squished! :-0
January 1, 2013 at 10:05am   
PRO
Thanks for the additional pictures! Leave the console where it is, move the sofas to the right and left of the console. Just do that and take a picture to submit. See how it looks/feels. I'm thinking it will be good and then add artwork to the left of the console. I would like to see a picture of the space facing the water then. Too much furniture looks like you've been oversold at a furniture store:) Also, what is to the left of the pony wall?
January 1, 2013 at 10:38am   
crissiesensing
ok-I'll go get the hubbie to help me hoist the couch. We actually had it that way at one time and then the movers put it back. Here are 2 pics of the rest of the room. The idea of the xtra sitting area was really only if I moved the TV console-you can see that there is no room for that now. Probably would be a little squished even if we did move everything down since it really only adds a few feet. I'll post the pic with the couches moved too. (I wasn't sure what you meant by a "pony" wall, so I just sent a pic of the adjoining walls.
January 1, 2013 at 11:28am   
crissiesensing
Oh and please ignore the "rug"--it's only a rug pad that we are going to fix once we get the actual rug in. All of the furniture is stuffed onto it right now in order to maintain the floors! :-)
There will be 2 consoles on the walls beside the front door and 2 fairly large round mirrors as well...
January 1, 2013 at 11:31am   
PRO
The flooring looks great and that is a good idea to use the rug pad until you get the area rug! Those look like two fabulous chairs -- I would move them to face the tv/console with the cool end table and leave those great windows with nothing in front of them to see the view. What a great place! (The pony wall is the half wall that's behind the left sofa in your original picture...or maybe it is a bar...it's hard to tell.)
January 1, 2013 at 11:58am   
decoenthusiaste
Haven't read all the comments, but feel like it needs to be balanced and moving them left won't really do it because of the arched doorway under the left coffer. Frame out the door on the left with wood to match the entry wood, and have a custom bookcase made for the right side that mimics the size and shape of the newly trimmed-out doorway.
January 1, 2013 at 12:12pm   
crissiesensing
Do you mean move the tv/console over and frame the door like the entry? Or instead of moving the TV? Do you think the bookcase would have to be arched too? I was hoping to keep as many clean lines as possible -the archway that is there now is great there, but the overall look moved towards the "soft contemporary" mode as we progressed and I was trying to minimize the number of arches I used going forward...
January 1, 2013 at 1:06pm   
crissiesensing
Poor hubbie has a cold and is unable to move furniture today! These pieces are super heavy and even with furniture gliders, they are tricky. I'll give it a go when he feels better! Carol, were you starting to lean towards leaving the console where it is and playing with the furniture? That of course is a lot less trouble and less expensive! I will however move it if needs to be b/c we are ready to be finished with all modifications so we can fully settle in. We have 2 special needs kids and honestly the craziness/repairs/moving in of building has been tough on all of us!
Secondary question...sorry to pester ;-) What color rug?? I have it narrowed down to a color close to the rug pad, a very light grey, and grey that looks like the color of the couch. I have to get a custom carpet cut instead of a rug b/c of the size of the room so options are limited! Any ideas anyone? And please keep the ideas coming about the wall/console! I so appreciate all of the help!!
January 1, 2013 at 2:32pm   
PRO
Sooo many people have bad colds...and I'm in Arizona! Yes, just move the furniture and leave the tv/console where they are. If you are looking for a monochromatic theme, then the light gray color area rug would work. However, I don't see a whole lot of accent color in the room and an area rug is a great way to bring in color(s). Pillows are also good for bringing in color. Once you move the furniture, take pictures and submit them so we can see how it looks but don't hurt yourself!
January 2, 2013 at 12:55pm   
PRO
I have been out of town for the past 2 1/2 weeks. Just curious to find out if you had a chance to move things around???
January 25, 2013 at 7:57am   
PRO
Activated Decor Inc.
Here's my suggestion, take the TV and have it come out of the ceiling, leaving the look of the line to be drawn to your stunning floors and not the big TV and brown cabinet. They break up the wall too much.

Check out some of the ideas we have done and how it will make your room look finished with clean lines.
January 25, 2013 at 12:46pm   
crissiesensing
Hi Carol! I haven"t moved anything yet b/c we've been out of town too! Busy,Busy. I've gotten plenty of opinions on this since we last spoke and it seems most are in consensus with you--just leave it where it is. The designer who constructed our coffers as well as the interior designers who helped us with the custom console all agree with you-they think it would be a big mess and much more irritating to the eye to have the tv off center on the wall itself. I think it's true b/c when I try to visualize t it just doesn't work. SO-on to the art! I was thinking after seeing a few rooms that I like that 2 large panels might look neat. Probably a 4' by 6' canvas-big and a little hard to find. But I do think that will add a lot to the room. I have also put some "modern weave" storage baskets under the floating console. Even though this was a custom piece, my eye kept wanting to put legs on the darn thing, so this helps the wall not look so vast until we get art. Maybe we should turn the kids loose with some canvases!
Thank you for your feedback, Activated Decor, Inc.We did actually think of having the tv come from the ceiling at one point but the ceilings are 15' high and we couldn't seem to make it look sleek due to the drop length needed. Very cool idea and pictures. I really like the idea of disappearing electronics!
I think the idea of focusing on the view is key as well, like you said before, Carol. (I'm attaching the view from the living room) I'm hoping maybe the view will distract from any off center coffers in the end game!
Thanks so much for your input! I'll post a pic when I get some furniture moved around.
January 25, 2013 at 2:50pm   
PRO
What a fabulous view!!! THAT is the focal point!
January 25, 2013 at 3:00pm     
calikym
I love your multicolored chair pillows. Where did you find those???
January 25, 2013 at 3:07pm   
January 25, 2013 at 3:47pm     
calikym
Ultimate in flattery is when someone from California copies you. That's me! Lol!
January 25, 2013 at 4:00pm     
More Discussions
Window film question
We are planning on putting window film in our bathroom....
Wondering how best to beautify this 1960's house frontage
Hello there Wondering if there are any good ideas...
Clearance for Cabinet/ across from freezer drawer when freezer is open
I am installing a 72" French door frig with lower freezer...
Pet Peeve: Toilet Seats - Up or Down?
This is one of those issues that can make you crazy...
My Kitchen's Turning Brown - Need Help With Color and Decorating
I'm headed in the wrong direction with this kitchen....
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.