Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Empty wall, HELP!
amandashaw92
January 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have no idea how to fill this empty wall. It's hard because the couch is not centered so I don't know where I could place art.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
groveraxle
Either one large piece of art or a grouping would look good. Center the art over the sofa. If it's a grouping, the center of the grouping should be centered over the sofa. And don't hang it too high. Bottom of art should probably be around 8' above the couch.
Living Room
Portland Pearl District Condo Living Room & Kitchen
January 1, 2013 at 11:02am     
groveraxle
Oops. That's 8" (inches) above sofa. But you would have figured that out...
January 1, 2013 at 11:03am   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
A painting in two or more pieces (triptych/diptych) would work well.
January 1, 2013 at 11:08am   
Nancy Hehmann
I love the boldness of your lavender!! It is beautiful. Center the art or photography over the sofa. Check on Etsy.com for original art or photography. Have fun!
January 1, 2013 at 11:13am   
christinesherriff
A BIG piece of art in the centre of the wall would work. It doesn't matter that the couch isn't centred, as long as you get the right sized art. Another possibly cheaper option, is to apply some wall decals. I thought that this one might look good but there are lots to choose from. You have a beautiful living room!
January 1, 2013 at 11:27am     
decoenthusiaste
You wouldn't need to go this high with it, but here's something fun and easy for you to do yourself by wrapping paper or fabric around canvases.

January 1, 2013 at 11:46am   
Norma Sassone
I love your colors, your rugs, your pillows, your coffee table! great job. Perhaps a huge painting to bring out the chartreuse in the rug. It's from etsy.com - they have amazing artwork at affordable prices.
January 1, 2013 at 11:47am     
amandashaw92
Thanks for all the great ideas! Here is what I came up with after a day of shopping :)
January 1, 2013 at 8:13pm     
sharleeg
hm, I would scoot the sofa down towards the kitchen(?) , so as to avoid the thermostat falling awkwardly over sofa where art should go. Then hang the 2 vignette pieces very close , centered over the sofa. Love your bold choices !
January 1, 2013 at 8:23pm     
pikih
May I ask where you bought the rug? I love it!
January 1, 2013 at 8:35pm   
PRO
Magdalena Bogart Interiors
Honestly, the three pieces don't work well. They are overpowering the lovely seating area.
I liked all the made suggestions better. Sometimes it is "cheaper" and definitely easier to
spend two hours to shop the right items at the right scale for the right placement.
January 1, 2013 at 9:20pm     
spunkychic
Great pieces!! I agree that you only need the two outside ones though. It is very empowering. Can you hang the dark one in another place?
January 1, 2013 at 9:53pm   
Natalie
Hi---I like what you came up with, just not how it's displayed. I think more pieces need to be introduced- different sizes---OR fill the wall with same sized canvases painted various hues of purples, blues, golds, etc. and add decal overlays... Did I tell you how much I LOVE the Purple? ♥ CheerS!
[houzz=][houzz=Eclectic Living Room][houzz=TriBeCa loft]
January 1, 2013 at 10:09pm     
Peg Silverwood
There are some great ledges that come in different lengths and some contemporary shelving that would be great for that space. You could put pictures on the ledges and pottery that has a contemporary feel on the shelves. stagger the shelves and ledges that creates interest on the wall. Cut out paper that is the size you would be using and place them on the wall and arrange them til they are what is esthetically pleasing visually. ;D
January 1, 2013 at 10:43pm   
Crystal Shepherd
Nice,I like that you're not afraid of color in the living room!
January 2, 2013 at 12:04am   
houssaon
i would have stopped with the one over the sofa. Now the three pieces are all that you see. Return the other two and you'll have a great room.

OR move the sofa and chair over so it is centered on the wall and get a higher end table - maybe in glass.
January 2, 2013 at 12:57am   
teresal60
I really, really like your choices. I also like the artwork. Considering the comments and concerns about being off center: what if you put both colored pictures above the sofa and the dark one to the side? It would keep the seating area focused and still "finish" the wall... but if you like it the way it is, then ENJOY!
January 2, 2013 at 4:40am   
janishill
What you have hung is a bit overwhelming and detracts rather than adds to. Try this. Hang the two abstrats close together over the sofa. Right now they are hung too high. Drop them down so they are only about 6" over the sofa and don't be afraid to hang them close to the thermostat. Then hang the other piece closer to te kitchen.

One other thing...the front legs of the sofa should be on the rug just like the chair legs are. Right now it is off center.

Between the rug and the pictures being hung to high it really throws the room off balance as well.

Hope to see up dates!
January 2, 2013 at 4:56am   
Sohail Gagai
Wow I also want this color of sofa in my room
What color is this ???
January 2, 2013 at 5:01am   
aritrejo
I think a long rectangular beautifully framed mirror would also look nice, maybe something with a washed silver tone would compliment the lavender and yellow
January 2, 2013 at 5:33am   
bizkelly3
We also had an awkward off centre livingroom wall with a thermostat on it. We had the electrician move it. We bought a very large mirror for over the couch but have also had a grouping of our photos (changing local scenes for each season) and even an antique quilt hung like a picture.
January 2, 2013 at 5:36am