Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with rug color
christmas12
January 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
the cream rug is it good in this area? i was thinking of a monochromatic cowhide rug with a camel tone; please advise as this cream rug is confusing me...thank you!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christmas12
please disregard what's on the rug as i need a coffee table..
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 11:05AM
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 11:15AM
christmas12
Thank you Natalie! but the rugs you suggest are close in color to the rug i have don't they? and am wondering whether the cream rug goes with the white chairs since i don't want a white rug..
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 11:20AM
christmas12
Husband prefers a brown/camel cowhide rug...is it a good option?
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 11:35AM
Natalie
The rugs are light, but they are LARGE and have a subtle design/pattern which I think you need. Your rug is a bit too small. A beautiful crystal pendant light in the corner would be a nice touch. Really love your pieces-sooo nice. :)
[houzz=
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 11:36AM
christmas12
Oh i see thank you.
The pendant light in which corner? before the shutter?
thank you for your kind words :)
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 11:38AM
Natalie
I like cowhides too, but would not pair a cowhide rug with the cowhide chairs unless it was pieced... Pics for inspiration. Good Luck!
[houzz=
2 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 11:50AM
Natalie
Either corner could work. That particular space in the pics has two. Here's the link for more options.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 11:53AM
decoenthusiaste
With the cowhides, I'd prefer a colorful oriental, a flokati, an indian motif or another cowhide.
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 11:53AM
christmas12
Thank you Natalie...so my cream rug would have been ok if it were bigger?
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 11:53AM
Natalie
Yes, bigger and with a little pattern/design---tone on tone. Hope that's helpful. :)
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 11:56AM
christmas12
ok so for sure the round rug in the other photos is no option since it looks even smaller than the cream one..
btw, the rug appears smaller in photos!
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 11:59AM
patriciarhall
and pull your sofa and chairs on to the rug and away from the wall a bit.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 11:59AM
christmas12
decoenthusiast, i agree with you but i was looking for something neutral because i have other colorful items in the room that's why i chose a cream oriental with light pattern..
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 12:03PM
christmas12
patriciahall, done! :)
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 12:04PM
Natalie
I like both your rugs---wish the rectangular one was larger---because I think you could put the round one in the center of it and you'd be set... :)
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 12:05PM
Natalie
Hmmm place it off-center???
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 12:06PM
Natalie
Layered rugs---something like this could incorporate a hide for hubby... [houzz=
]
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 12:11PM
christmas12
off-center..mmm i'll see if it works...first i was putting the accent chairs next to each other as in the photo...
btw, the settee was already pulled away but again it doesn't show in the picture..
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 12:14PM
christmas12
the cowhide in your last photo is the one i was thinking about :)
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 12:17PM
christmas12
I just put the round one on the rectangular one :)
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 12:22PM
christmas12
sorry..here it is :)
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 12:28PM
christmas12
i don't think they work together :)
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 12:30PM
Natalie
Definitely think that could work with a larger rug-one which will tuck under the front legs of sofa and chairs...
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 12:33PM
christmas12
my only options are either one of these 2 rugs, or the cowhide in the photo of layered rugs you suggested Natalie..which one of these 3 is the best, in your opinion? and thank you again..
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 12:38PM
Natalie
Rectangle rug tucked under sofa, chairs situated together with round table, round rug under front legs of chairs and slightly overlapping rectangluar rug---might work a bit better, but really think a larger rectangular or square rug would be best and pair it with the cowhide or the round for interest.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 12:38PM
Natalie
None of the rugs would be large enough by itself---hides are approximately 6 x7 at the widest point---don't think it can be used alone.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 12:44PM
christmas12
yes thank you very much Natalie..
One last question please! the coffee table, which one do you see for this area? i was thinking of one like the photo below but with slimmer legs, what do you think?
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 12:51PM
Natalie
Yes, I like it a lot, slimmer legs for sure. If you go with a simple rug, no hide then you could add something which will give you a similar look as in this table-different base though. CheerS!
[houzz=
]
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 1:02PM
christmas12
thank you very much..yes the shape you suggested will be more interesting than a clean rectangular one..cheers!
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 1:08PM
judianna20
In late on this, but I love what you have done to the furniture, funky and fun. I would like to see a shag rug or something brown and white in a pattern.
Honore-Transitional Study
Orange and Brown Office
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 1:11PM
christmas12
thank you judyg...i thought of that too! that's why i got confused, didn't know which one is better and i like them all!
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 1:19PM
anitajoyce
Neither of your rugs work well with the furniture. A rug with brown, tan, and another color like rust or orange will add character to the space. Be sure and add some accent pillows to the sofa also. A longer coffee table also.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 1:23PM
christmas12
Anitajoyce, that's why i thought of a cowhide like the one below..
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 1:30PM
anitajoyce
You can certainly try it and see how it works. (post a picture, please if you decide to use it). I just think a regular rug with the same colors may work better since the side chairs are of cowhide. The regular rectangular rug would add contrast to the cowhide chairs.
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 4:51PM
christmas12
Hello Anitajoyce, would you please post a picture of a rug you have in mind? thank you!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 12:31AM
judianna20
CHRISTMAS 12, I think that anitajoyce and I are on the same page with your rug choice. You have done such a fun job in recovering your furniture and the chairs are just great. If you put the cowhide on the floor you may find you are taking away the special effect of the chairs by having too much of a good thing.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 7:12AM
judianna20
Do you have bare floor anywhere else within eyeshot of the chairs? Where is your dining?
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 7:17AM
collettec
Really like what you've done so far - I agree with others that a cowhide rug would detract from your existing cowhide chairs. I would consider a rug in a solid medium gray so as not to detract from your chairs and your couch, perhaps in a shag. If you really wanted to ramp up the drama, perhaps drapes in a black for contrast.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 8:10AM
PRO
Lisa Lucas Design
Too much of a good thing with cowhide rug and cowhide chairs. The rugs you show also appear to be too small in scale for your space and furnishings. Since you are limiting yourself to the two rugs I am going to assume budget is a big consideration so what about these IKEA rugs which are larger.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 9:18AM
christmas12
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/269975 Please check this link to see the whole place...the cream rug doesnt look small at all in reality, and there isnt much space to put a larger one since the entrance door is to the right...
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 9:32AM
christmas12
Thank you all for your input...i kinda wanted a cowhide because i just love them and hoped it could fit!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 9:34AM
PRO
Lisa Lucas Design
What about cowhide in another area so the look is repeated elsewhere. You would give your room a better sense of flow. I like the idea of doing a piced cowhide rug with the two sofas you have in the other seating area. Or you chould have the cowhide on pillows for that other sofa seating area. What I am seeing is you need to add texture which is what is lacking in the current pillows you felt were too plain. Look at West Elm for great textured modern pillows. Mix several textured for visual interest.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 10:00AM
christmas12
I can exchange the cream rug (but only with another Oriental rug ) but the rug in the second seating area i cannot exchange it and hubby loves it , i will just add different pillows..
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 10:16AM
sharleeg
you might consider an inexpensive natural fiber rug such as jute.That would bring in great texture. You need much larger size than your rugs now. You could do a colored bound edge such as red.Then, layer a white hide over it that picks up the white in chairs. Add pillows on chairs, sofa, a throw, some red with kilim pattern would look very cool i think.Not sure what else you have in adjoining rooms, though. Best of luck! Looking good!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 10:43AM
Natalie
Hi---I just went browsing at your pics---you need wall color---light is fine, but your room has so much contrast, it looks a bit cold and uninviting. Sorry to say it like that, but I'm being honest. I think maybe that's why you strongly favor the cowhide-it gives a sense of warmth and comfort. Your space is Huge so I suggest SW 6039 Poised Taupe or SW 6004 Mink for wall color. Both are medium/dark hues and might look too dark, but trust me, color on the walls will make a BIG difference. Pics-examples of wall color. CheerS!
[houzz=
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 12:15PM
lindabuzz
I absolutely love the cowhide chairs and leather sofa...super cool and funky. If it were me, I would get one of the rugs that Natalie suggested ....the "Rombos cowhide rug" or the " dark brown patchwork rug" make it large enough for the furniture to sit on and in a square or rectangular shape. That will ground the space, then top it off with the stone slicer table that Natalie suggested. That would give you interesting textures, and variety of materials. I am seeing a mocha colored wall and some kind of geometric pattern on the window treatments. The ones you have now seemed washed out to me. One thing i wouldnt do is put a shaped cowhide rug in there...that would be too much with the chairs. What are your thoughts.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 12:40PM
christmas12
Nathalie, the wall behind the red buffet is taupe :) and i have an entertainment room that opens to this large space with a warm red wall...you can see it in the link i put above, thank you for your time!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 12:53PM
christmas12
Lindabuzz, the curtains have light taupe strips. I wanted something with brown, camel, and a touch of white and i thought the cowhide would be perfect. The cream rug i have now is a modern oriental., A traditional oriental, though i love them, they usually have many colors, and i don't think i need a colored rug with the red buffet and red painting and open red wall . As to modern and monochromatic rugs, i m not sure they give the deep effect the cowhide gives with all the warm colors mixed together, at least i haven't found one yet...besides, an irregular shape would extend a bit to the dining area and fill the space, a larger rectangular one would extend much further than the chairs and would look empty on the edges and i can add nothing since there is a dining table..here are my thoughts, thank you for your suggestions!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 1:02PM
christmas12
My link, at the end of the page there is another view to the area with the taupe wall behind the buffet and red wall...open concepts are pretty hard!
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 1:13PM
lindabuzz
Sorry I can't find your link. I didn't see a red buffet in your photo so I didn't realize you were working with that. A few pops of red would be great. I think the round rug is too small and I bet you could find something cool in a square. How about a fur type rug. You might be able to find a remnant and cut to your desired size.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 2:06PM
anitajoyce
I like the pictures of nice rugs that judyg send in. I think the two patterns would go nicely with the boldness of your furniture... I don't have a picture to post, yet. I will try to find one ( I have a mental picture of it in my head for now).
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 3:13PM
Natalie
Hi again... I did browse your photos and I did see the red accent wall, buffet, and art. Also noticed the soft taupe wall. Took all that info into consideration and that is how I came up with the deep taupe hue I suggested. I think it would look very good. Open concepts can be difficult, but I think you have a handle on your space. It's divided and zoned quite nice. I like the window treatments and use of rugs throughout too. Just a bit of color on the walls-and then, of course, the rug for this sitting area. ThankS!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 3:24PM
christmas12
You convinced me not to use a cowhide and here is a photo of one my husband borrowed and will return tomorrow..does anybody think it is good in this area?
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 8:02AM
christmas12
actually my husband isn't convinced as well, he thinks it's too much..
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 8:18AM
frenchreno
Whoa hoa - too much cowboy! I love both the chairs and the rug but not together! I also think that the 2 chairs together looked better than on either side of sofa. As was previously mentioned was a larger rectangular cream rug will bring it all together...good luck!
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 8:19AM
patriciarhall
Only if it is layered on a large mututed rug like Natalie posted. Best would be not to use the cowhide because it dilutes the gorgeous chairs and distorts the furniture size. Rug should be complimentary.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 8:20AM
christmas12
you are all correct, thank you for your input!
Frenchreno, me me too like the chairs together but the other side felt empty so...until i find something to put on the opposite side i guess they must stay lke this?
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 8:24AM
Natalie
I love the rug! Just not there. Have you tried the striped rug in the other seating area, over in this space yet? I'm not sure if it will go, but it seems as though it will give a sense of size and color and slight pattern. You may want to try it. I love the cowhide though. Looking more at your pics makes me wonder how your dining table would look turned (horizontally) with this sofa placed opposite of the bench, and switching the slipcovered chairs out for the cowhide chairs and then somehow incorporating the cowhide rug... :)
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 8:30AM
christmas12
what do you mean "opposite of the bench" please?
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 8:36AM
christmas12
ahh there is another bench that doesn't show, it has no back :)
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 8:38AM
christmas12
Let's forget about this cowhide :) seems i'll have to change a lot of things to put it haha
Do you think a colored oriental rug/kilim has any chance in this area? because it is easy to switch the one i have with another one..
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 8:44AM
christmas12
Here..i put the layered one as you suggested Nathalie..
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 8:53AM
christmas12
sorry, will put the correct one..
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 8:55AM
christmas12
here it is...what do you think?
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 8:57AM
Natalie
There you go---that's a great size and it just might work. Pull it closer in so that the front sofa legs sit on top. Center your trunk/ottoman/coffee table on the rug and see how it looks. I'm liking what I see so far. :)
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 9:02AM
judianna20
I like this the best, so far.

I understand why you like the cowhide rug. Is there another area in the room where it can go?

I found your other post but it was so dark I couldn't see much of anything.

I know there is a dining table in there. Could you incorporate the dining table with the cowhide chairs at either end, use the sofa for one side of the table or something like that?
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 9:02AM
christmas12
better?
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 9:11AM
christmas12
the cow chairs are ok with these warm colors?
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 9:13AM
Natalie
This looks much better. The pics are dark, so it's hard to see the "true" colors of the rug, but one thing is certain---the size is right! If you could get a rug with minimal pattern and slight variation in color, you'll be set.
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 9:22AM
christmas12
I put the cream one before the red buffet...is it good?
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 9:26AM
christmas12
right Natalie, this is much better..the area is warmer and nicer, and yes i'll try to get another one which is yet better...thank you very much!
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 9:28AM
Natalie
Yes... It's coming along. How's it looking to you?
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 9:29AM
Natalie
So glad to hear this and you're welcome. I love your style, a "collected" look. Very nice. :)
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 9:31AM
christmas12
the colors are earthy tones, rust color, cream, brown, ochre and light blue...and yes i like the size much better :)
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 9:35AM
christmas12
Nathalie, you've been of great help with all the others who participated, thank you very much!
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 9:37AM
christmas12
oh btw, i found a rug that looks like the dark brown patchwork you suggested ..maybe i'll settle for this one if they have the right size..
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 9:39AM
Natalie
Wonderful---glad to be of help. Sounds like that patchwork rug could work. Keep us posted. Have Fun!
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 9:48AM
anitajoyce
I do like your choice of the striped rug . Love the colors in it as well. It's a great size for the space also. Side tables on each end of the brown chair , with a lamp on each one will help complete the room.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 1:41PM
poise
You need to add some color too much brown and do not overcow see Jaipur rug. Compliment with cushion throws that marry 3 or 2 of the colors.
0 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 2:49PM