Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with basement remodel
Jane McClendon
January 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Recently started to redo my basement. I have placed stone on an old fireplace. Will be installing laminate flooring(heart pine) and new lighting. Thinking about more storage along the kitchen wall. Also thinking about small bar area. Need suggestions on paint colors and any other changes. This can be used as family area/office. Suggestions welcome!!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Would like to see the other parts of the room where you plan projects. Will furniture and area rug stay the same?
January 1, 2013 at 12:27pm   
Jane McClendon
Furniture and rug can be moved. We have a large TV in the room too!! The recliner on the right faces the TV. Husband does not want TV on fireplace. Just saying!!! Will try to download more photo's.
January 1, 2013 at 12:39pm   
susanmitch
That beautiful fireplace calls out for a mantel. Think about something rustic like reclaimed barn wood mantel. Your walls need to be darker to make your fireplace stand out more. A dark green would be nice because it would work with your nature aesthetic.
January 1, 2013 at 12:43pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
To many chairs loose at least one and replace with a sofa. Or even better loose two and add a sectional. Keep colors on walls bright to lessen the feel of it being a basement. It is great that you have the big glass doors on the walkout side. This wall can handle a darker color but keep the side and back walls light.
January 1, 2013 at 12:45pm   
Natalie
Nice so far. I'd go darker on the walls... Try Camouflage-Ben Moore. Add a little sparkle, mirrors, glass, etc. to the space. Pic for color and accessory inspiration. Good Luck! houzz=
]
January 1, 2013 at 12:49pm   
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
I like susanmitch's idea of adding a mantel. It is hard to tell from this one photo but I think you need to do a furniture rearrangement. You will have to focal points in the room because the TV is on a separate wall than the television. To keep the room from looking like it is going in too many directions you want to try and place the tv on one of the walls adjacent to the fireplace. Then you could possibly use the sofa and two chairs to create an 'L', or get a sectional which I think was suggested above. But more pictures would help! You do have great light though so its really about cosmetically changing the space until you are happy with it.
January 1, 2013 at 12:52pm   
Jane McClendon
Hey, Did you seem to say the tv and fireplace are two focal points?
January 1, 2013 at 1:48pm   
Jane McClendon
Love your inspiration pic!! Is the color in the pic camo-ben moore?
January 1, 2013 at 1:49pm   
Jane McClendon
Thanks for the suggestions!
January 1, 2013 at 1:52pm     
michigammemom
I like the wall color that Natalie suggested with your light stone. All of your furnishings are a solid brown, so I would suggest a serviceable and comfortable leather sofa and two arm chairs upholstered with a pattern. I love the warmth of the red Oriental rug in this comfortable family room.
January 1, 2013 at 2:08pm   
Jane McClendon
Thanks, I am trying to get a new sectional for this area. I have a leather sofa and two print chairs in our upstairs family room.
January 1, 2013 at 2:15pm   
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
love that picture too! Yes, if you have a tv on one wall and a fireplace on another thats two focal Pointe. if you only have one seating group then it needs to be able to look at both from the same point of view instead of on opposite sides of the room. otherwise the space will get confusing too look at because your eye wont know which focal point to see first.
January 1, 2013 at 2:22pm