Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with fireplace
Megan Wilcop
January 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have a very large space above our fireplace / too large for any tv. Besides a fireplace redo- any other ideas for my awkward space?!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Noz As A Service
You could put a large framed mirror in there with some other accent pieces like vessels / candles? It's a great sized space above the fireplace mantel! Show us the before/after when you've decided!!
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 2:35PM
carolannr
How about adding a couple of custom made doors and shelves for extra storage? Even tho this looks to be a gas fireplace, if you use it alot, it gets really warm in that area - I've seen candles melted up there when the fireplace was left on for a whole day. If you don't want to have a tv there that is. It looks too deep for today's tvs so maybe shelves behind the tv for display items.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 2:49PM
lindacolleen
If you can't cover . I would suggest removing trim above fireplace , and paint that area above the fire place the same as walls to make it blend in . The trim now frames it , then mount tv on wall , keep area clutter free . This way you focus on fireplace .
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 5:03PM
groveraxle
In the picture, it looks like the walls and ceiling are blue and the niche is bright white. I suspect that might not be accurate, but the effect is to make the wood trim look odd and the niche look way too white. I would paint the whole room a warm neutral color and paint the inside of the niche a bit darker. If that doesn't help, I would consider painting the wood the same color as the walls.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 5:36PM
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
I would like to see the wood trim from the mantle up painted out or removed altogether if possible. Then paint that entire area the colour of the wall. I think that is pretty much the same idea as lindacolleen had. Will look much nicer.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 5:39PM
Lesli Richardson
I would paint inside a darker accent color. Remove tv completely. Add vessels at different heights and or large pillar candles. The wood throws me off would paint that the rooms trim color.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 5:41PM
Lesli Richardson
I would paint inside a darker accent color. Remove tv completely. Add vessels at different heights and or large pillar candles. The wood throws me off would paint that the rooms trim color.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 5:41PM