Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help update block paneling in living room
snorrell
January 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I want to texture and paint block paneling to update 80s look. Please offer ideas and advice
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snorrell
Additional pic. Planning on selling this year. Room has cathedral ceiling.
January 1, 2013 at 1:45PM   
kitasei
Gee, to me the 80s vibe is not from the paneling but the decorations on it - the mirrored window frames and wood cutouts (?). I think if you streamlined the look, removing all extraneous decoration, you'd have a much more modern and expensive look -- without spending a cent. That's my two cents, as a style-conscious consumer, not designer.
January 1, 2013 at 3:00PM     
judyreishus
the paneling is beautiful. Don't paint it, Just let it shine by taking down all of the decor. Less is more. I agree with the other posted comment.
January 1, 2013 at 3:07PM     
houssaon
This looks like good paneling, not cheap 4 by 8 plywood. I would think twice about painting it at this point.
A buyer could always paint it if they didn't like it.

Super unclutter your room.

Take off the wreath, the two hanging pieces next to the fireplace, and get rid of the tree, if it is fake. Remove the hutch and the valances, just hang the panels. I would paint or replace the fireplace screen and have the brick cleaned.

I would paint with something less yellow. Maybe Benjamin Moore Saybrook Sage Paint, Dry Sage 2142-40 by Benjamin Moore, or Sage Mountain 1488 on the walls above the paneling and Dove White on the ceiling.

Here is a good looking oak panel room: Whiporwill.

Good luck.
January 1, 2013 at 3:09PM     
kitasei
You probably have gorgeous wood floors under that wall to wall carpet -- take it up! Take down the tv and move out the sofa chair and curio cabinet. In short, change everything BUT the paneling.
January 1, 2013 at 3:20PM   
sharleeg
DON't paint the paneling! It is the best thing in the room actually. I would paint the walls above. I like the sage idea. Take down mirrors and wreath. That very busy floral chair could be modernized with a neutral slipcover and a nice pillow .You could put a thin area rug over that very bland, beige wall to wall carpet with some color , picking up that green and perhaps some orangey/rusty tones for example .Some more modern, stylish pillows would do wonders to finish it all off!Stay away from the country/floral pattern look and go more traditional . It will look great with not a lot of work or money. Best of luck!
January 1, 2013 at 3:37PM   
Nancy Hehmann
I would update the furniture to get a new look. The paneling is of great quality. When people say to get rid of paneling they are not speaking of that type; but, the kind that was mass produced and sold at Home Depot in the 60's and 70's. I agree with everyone above.
January 1, 2013 at 3:44PM   
decoenthusiaste
Staging a home for sale requires removing your personality and your stuff, and bringing the home's style statement into the current era. Neutralizing and updating will be a great start. I would advise beginning on the really tricky part, eliminating your stuff by at least 50%. Begin by boxing up items you can get rid of, don't want to move to your new home and wouldn't consider using to stage the home.
If you're over 50 and have loved ones who have expressed interest in some of your items, it is a great time to give their favorites to them to enjoy - and you won't have to move them with you. While you may paint other rooms in the home to make them more neutral, I agree with leaving the paneling in place as is. Once you have a realtor, let them tell you what type of prospect will be interested in your home, and decide then whether to leave the panel or paint it. Young upscale buyers will probably prefer paint, but retirees (especially men) will love and appreciate the unpainted paneling.
January 1, 2013 at 4:05PM     
janishill
I realize it must be difficult to hear, but I have to agree; it isn't the paneling that is dating your house, but the decor.

A good solution is to get on mailing list for various catalogs and see what's out there now: Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, Home Decorators, IKEA, Sturbridge, and many others. Here's a link: http://freebies.about.com/od/homegardenfreebies/tp/home-decor-catalogs.htm

Don't paint that beautiful paneling as it is the best selling feature going right now! :-)
January 1, 2013 at 4:26PM   
Sarah Yama
The problem isn't the paneling. The problem is the decor. All of it needs to go. Everything from the wreath to mirrors, curtains, even books. It is super dated and cluttered. It will be night and day when you box it up and leave only the couch and minor necessities
January 1, 2013 at 4:29PM