Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Family room makeover
shark1002
January 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Need help with paint colors, new furniture, placement of furniture.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
What doesn't work in this space currently?
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 4:10PM
collettec
Not sure what you want to do or what is on the fourth wall - but some ideas - one possibility would be a sectional where the two couches are located now. Either built ins or cabinets to either side of the fireplace. Wood blinds on the windows. With perhaps floor to ceiling drapes on the ends of the continuing wall of windows and also on the other window, if room. Area rug with some color and pattern. A neutral color for wall color, perhaps gray as a possibility. I don't think the built in cabinets under the windows do much visually for the window area. But like a lot of what you have now, so it's a matter of what you want to change.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 4:22PM
decoenthusiaste
Do you have a palette in mind - maybe from a favorite piece of art or an area rug you want to buy? That might be a starting point for painting. Furniture-wise you might like a sectional and a couple of armchairs. You appear to have enough room. Can we see all walls of the space? More pics = more input from Houzzers!
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 4:25PM
houssaon
I like the paint colors, love the color on the ceiling. I think you need some greens and blues in the mix. I would get print panels for the windows in a ivory ground with a bold light blue an green print. Cover a bench cushion in the same print. Add pillows in those colors, too. I would put some colorful prints of paintings on the walls.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 4:27PM
groveraxle
I like the room the way it is, but my first thought was you've got sort of an old-world look going here. Maybe you could tweak it more in that direction. Here are a couple possible inspiration pics: Old World Living Room
Gaillardia show home
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 4:38PM
claudiann
Your room is beautiful. It is so neutral to me that I think it needs "life." I agree with Houssan that it needs some green. Live plants or just something organic. I don't care for the mirror next to the fireplace. It doesn't balance out the entertainment center. Maybe it could be used on the fireplace mantle with some other objects. How about a tall live plant in a beautiful pot or basket on that side of the fireplace with an up light underneath? I think your furniture looks fine except for your lamps and tables. They look too tall. Maybe if your tables weren't so high the lamps wouldn't look so tall. I think I would use shorter, more squatter lamp bases to bring in some color or metal such as copper or brass. You could use colorful paintings, maybe one on the fireplace, a colorful area rug in front of the fireplace, lamps,pillows etc. to bring in some interest.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 4:48PM
shark1002
I was thinking of pale oak for paint color, I'm getting rid of furniture, built ins are not in the budget, so something for the tv. I think a sectional, but might be too big. I have wood blinds, the kitchen is painted in restrained gold, but I can change it. I not want dark, bright but warmth, I don't like the old world, anymore. Love candice olson style, just have no idea how to do it.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 7:47AM
collettec
A pale oak color sounds great for the wall color. If you want to go lighter and brighter, I would paint the ceiling a lighter color as well. If you were looking at something like a sectional, I would definitely check sizing to make sure it works for you, but think the style would work if the size works for you. One color to consider would be a light gray to bring in some of the lighter color of the fireplace. I think you could use something larger on the other side of the fireplace - a larger piece of art or grouping of art with some color. Perhaps art over the fireplace as well. Really like what you had before, but I do think it will look good with lighter brighter colors as well. Good luck!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 8:34AM