Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
House trim color
Lesli Richardson
January 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Just bought this 1930 Spanish Mediterranean. Will be starting renovation soon. The window unit a/c is not needed and will be removed. The iron work at ground level as well as on the portico will be painted black. My question : when having the wood trim reprinted should I stay with the existing color or change it?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Lesli Richardson
That's repainted.
January 1, 2013 at 5:14pm     
susanmitch
I would go darker. Your home is beautiful and the brick would pop if you go darker. Look at Benjamin Moore paint site at the Spanish home example.
January 1, 2013 at 5:24pm     
Lesli Richardson
Great. Didn't think of that.
January 1, 2013 at 5:26pm     
PRO
Maria Killam
I would keep it basically the same because anything else would either have to be more terra cotta to relate to the roof or some shade of butterscotch which would not give you enough contrast. You already have 2-3 colours existing so I would personally not introduce another one.
Hope this helps,
Maria
January 1, 2013 at 5:34pm     
Lesli Richardson
Kept same colors but painted the door turquoise.
May 24, 2013 at 9:04am     
libradesigneye
Wonderful!
May 24, 2013 at 9:24am     
PRO
Steven Corley Randel, Architect
Looks terrific! That is such a great house!
May 24, 2013 at 10:42am     
missjameson
I would kill to have this house. I would not change much to the actual house, it's gorgeous, but spend my money on landscaping.
May 24, 2013 at 12:07pm     
rouxb
Fab fab fab house-I love it and I love it just as it is. The current trim color really suits the both the brick and style of the house. Use landscaping, front door, patio plants and furnishing to bring in the color.
May 24, 2013 at 3:31pm     
bevballew
Beautiful home! I agree to keep the same trim color.
May 24, 2013 at 3:49pm     
PRO
Steven Corley Randel, Architect
That is a classic Spanish Eclectic design with some marvelously unique elements like the shape of the large picture window to the left with the eyebrow type eave break. The clipped gable on the second floor is also unique but what I think is so wonderful about this house is the detail of the arches on the entrance and side porches. Along with the detail around the upper floor windows these elements firmly anchor its fashion. Another unique element is that your house is brick veneer while most examples in this style are stucco. I would think this has something to do with the location. Lucky leelee, I think you are the envy of the HOUZZers today. Cheers
May 24, 2013 at 5:15pm     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
What a charmingly beautiful house. It looks beautiful!
May 24, 2013 at 7:15pm   
PRO
Leo Dowell Interiors
I specialize in designing homes that look as if they are two hundred years old as soon as they are built! I call it "A Dusting Of The Centuries". So if you are after a more authenic aged look, I suggest a statuary bronze trim paint. This is also the color that copper gutters turn eventually anyway, which are in the same place as your facia board.
Also a large Spanish lantern with a mustache bracket over the entrance arch would be a nice finishing touch.
Hey, I sell those. Good luck.
May 24, 2013 at 11:18pm     
nancy22032
The house is wonderful. If you invest in landscaping, how about a classic Spanish fountain? It would add so much interest to the yard.
May 25, 2013 at 12:19am     
sfuentes08
Turquoise would be a beautiful accent color!
May 25, 2013 at 4:14am     
rinqreation
The trim color is good, spanish houses don't necessarily have a contrasting trim. Plus lime color looks more natural. You could paint the window frames black, to blend in the iron fencing. Or grey-turquoise, because I like that front door recolor too.
Lake Conroe Spanish
Villa Terra
May 26, 2013 at 1:25am     
PRO
Bravehart Building
This is a most unique and authentic house! It's difficult to tell from the photo on an electronic screen (as everything looks brighter on a computer). I would guess it is looking lighter on my computer than in real life.
If this is true, then the tone of trim, matching the tone and value of the brick, is the best way to 'blend' the trim and emphasize the architectural form of the house.
If you took the trim into a contrasting view, I think it would 'fight' with the other fab. aspects of the facade.

If you wanted to add work and have some fun, I would take the trim in the same colour range as the brick, but add a slight 'crackling' affect or veining/distressed look, with paint to get an 'older trim' look which would suit the era of house.
There are various techniques; from hand small brush, large dry brush-over, etc.

This must be handled subtly though, or the trim, up close, will just look old and dirty.

We are truly all envious of your beautiful find. Glad you are treating the old doll with the consideration and respect it deserves.
May 26, 2013 at 6:54am     
studio10001
Just saw this; am so relieved to see you didn't paint the trim dark. Beautiful house.
May 26, 2013 at 5:36pm     
Nithya Manu
wow! superb....
May 26, 2013 at 8:51pm     
Richard McShan
Breath taking home... beautiful work... Just enough color to personalize the look and make it yours. Not knowing your budget, I would offer minimum changes to the front landscaping and concentrate funds on needed repairs/changes.

The ONLY thing I would suggest is to soften the hard lines of the sidewalk/entry way. Make the feel a little softer and more welcoming.
Accent the wonderful curves and colors you already have by reshaping the existing sidewalk by twice its existing width into a more graceful curve where it meets the public walkway. Afterwards, widen the sides of your walkway with brick pavers that match the front entry steps which will draw your visitor's eyes toward the beautiful front door. Then, utilize the same species of hedging plants from the existing hedges/plantings and create a curved planting area at the public end of your front walk which would, visually, act as two outstretched hands saying, "Welcome, to our home".

Please let us see the after pics.
Congratulations on your score!
May 27, 2013 at 4:42am     
Lesli Richardson
Just showed my husband. We can't believe what a difference that makes. Will certainly be doing it.
May 27, 2013 at 7:50am     
kerryloves2travel
I like the walkway changes as it invites people to the home & opens up the walk way. A small change for a big reward. Curb appeal of this house is huge! Love to see pics of the inside. Enjoy this beautiful home.
May 27, 2013 at 7:51am     
Lesli Richardson
Richard: we spent about 200k on repairs. We are in great shape now. Hired someone to " clean-up" yard and beds. Will be starting landscaping soon. Thanks for everyone's comments and advise. This is a home I've admired for more than 20 years. It was starting to suffer from no up keep. I feel so fortunate to have been able to purchase it this year and bring it back to its former glory.
May 27, 2013 at 7:55am     
bevballew
What part of the world do you live in leelee?
May 27, 2013 at 8:02am   
Lesli Richardson
This is henderson texas.
May 27, 2013 at 8:13am     
Richard McShan
Glad you liked my suggestions. I hope you carried on the 1930's effects on the inside. Would love to see pics!
;?)
May 27, 2013 at 9:26am     
Cat Rowe
Leelee~ Gorgeous home! Love your new door colour! I also love Richard's suggestion on the walkway design and hedging. Great call Richard! Congrats Leelee and hubby!
May 27, 2013 at 3:19pm     
Lesli Richardson
Close up of door. Still need to clean up porch area. But still renovating.
May 27, 2013 at 3:22pm     
Lesli Richardson
Richard: The house was originally built in 1900. Was remodeled in 1913 and again in 1930 to the style you see today. The previous owner ,we bought it from this year ,had let it get in disrepair. I've been admiring this house for more than 25 years. So happy that ill soon call it home.
May 27, 2013 at 3:26pm     
Cat Rowe
Leelee ~ what material are the pillars made from?
May 27, 2013 at 3:29pm     
Lesli Richardson
We had to completely rebuild the portico. Some pics are before, during.
May 27, 2013 at 3:31pm     
Lesli Richardson
Pillars are cement.
May 27, 2013 at 3:44pm     
daylightca
What a beautiful home! The choice of door color is excellent!
May 27, 2013 at 3:45pm     
Lesli Richardson
Changed old garage into movie theater. Here is the change from the outside. We have added a carriage lantern and hardware since this pic was taken. It loos like a carriage house now.
May 27, 2013 at 3:47pm     
Lesli Richardson
I Love the chimney. Keep ideas coming. I welcome any help.
May 27, 2013 at 3:48pm     
Lesli Richardson
This pic shows the deteriorating portico. Prior to the other pics.
May 27, 2013 at 3:57pm     
Cat Rowe
Unbelievable! this home has so many great details! I like what you did on the garage.
May 27, 2013 at 3:58pm     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Thanks for all the great photos. It's obvious that the house is very cool from your original post, but these make it even more clear why you love this house!!!!
May 27, 2013 at 4:45pm     
Jayme H.
FABULOUS home!!!! Congrats!!
May 27, 2013 at 5:16pm     
rouxb
New construction-not for me! Give me the detail and charm of an older home. Yeah, yeah-and the upkeep and the expense and the headaches...
May 27, 2013 at 5:35pm     
bevballew
Absolutely beautiful home!
May 27, 2013 at 6:59pm     
Richard McShan
She is a very grand dame, Ms. Leelee. I am jealous that you are so far away and I don't get to come play, err... I mean help! ;?)
My own home was built in 1927 and has be gently remodeled (not "re-muddled") as so many of the homes near us have been. It has most of the original 'everything' on the first floor but we had to demo the TINY garage and replaced it with an extended two car+ work shop area. The kitchen is the next to go because it is the one area that needs to go 'bye-bye'. It was, probably, great back in 1972... but, now it is going to be returned to the correct look with cleverly disguised improvements.

Thank you for the great photos.

Peace and blessed be.
May 27, 2013 at 7:24pm     
mcbriec
Stunning home!!!!!!!! How about some iron straps for the garage door? And perhaps a mahogany stain color as the current color does not offer much contrast? (I realize that's not so easy!)
May 28, 2013 at 9:17am   
Lesli Richardson
The garage door is stained dark. And we have hung hardware. Ill post a more current pic.
May 28, 2013 at 9:20am   
kathleen MK
Since we're nearly neighbors can I drop by and borrow a cup of charm? You have the charm of the Dallas M streets area and the open space of the country, what a great combination!
May 28, 2013 at 9:48pm     
Lesli Richardson
The M streets are a fav. My daughter lives in Dallas and we cruise them every time I visit. You are correct!!! Haven't thought of that. I have the best of both worlds. :-)
May 29, 2013 at 3:42am   
aimran
love your house and it's details. it is gorgeous.. Congratulations too! :)
though i find the garage door paint a bit too dark.. maybe it'll lighten overtime?
May 29, 2013 at 4:51am   
Sandy
The garage door could use some hardware to make the panels appear to be carriage doors. I ran across some in black at Home Depot, makes it look like they are doors and since it's really a permanent wall vs. operational garage door, it will work out well. I might repaint them from black to a verdigious color to make them look aged to match the house and not stand out in a glaring fashion. Re the door, as much as I like turquoise or the violet blue often seen in New Mexico adobe homes, I think a verdigious again would tie the garage and the front door as well as blend better with the brick.
May 29, 2013 at 5:59am   
Lesli Richardson
We have added the hardware. Just haven't gotten a pic yet. We don't live near the new house. Ill take pics next time I go and post them. See previous comment. Thanks.
May 29, 2013 at 6:12am   
Sandy
LeeLee, you are most fortunate in acquiring the house. It's a favorite style of mine and I don't think I've ever seen one in brick before yours. Such a beautiful job on the restoration remodeling. I'm looking forward to seeing more photos. Have a great day!
May 29, 2013 at 7:33am   
bevmcalpine
Definitely spend money on landscaping and leave the house as it is ...you could do some realy great things with the front part ...some water feature , spanish plants /flowers ......
May 29, 2013 at 9:15am   
Lesli Richardson
One person mentioned a Spanish fountain so I'm certainly looking into that. Also curving the side walk. We have a landscaper working now. But there's alot of cleanup before he can make beautiful.
May 29, 2013 at 9:21am   
Shannon Olden
paint trim brick red. it is in the same colour family as the brick and the roof.
May 29, 2013 at 2:07pm   
Lesli Richardson
We've already painted. There's an after pic in previous comment.
May 29, 2013 at 3:54pm   
PRO
May 29, 2013 at 9:39pm   
Lesli Richardson
A few more....
May 30, 2013 at 4:50pm     
Sandy
Beautiful
May 31, 2013 at 5:23am   
nancy22032
I am grateful that the home has been adopted by someone with the means and intelligence to restore it. I love houses and hate to see one so lovely neglected. Keep on!
June 1, 2013 at 2:01am     
Lesli Richardson
I kept saying to myself " Lesli, you have to save it!" I never realize the expense. But I think it's totally worth it. Working there today..... Very happy. :-))
June 1, 2013 at 8:52am     
apple_pie_order
Beautiful. Lovely work.
June 1, 2013 at 11:41am   
aimran
agree with nancy22032's comment. May you see many a happy days there! :) Please do post after pics!
June 5, 2013 at 11:31pm     
Richard McShan
Good Morning. Just wanted to say, "Thanks" for pushing forward with the renovation/restoration of your beautiful home. Looking forward to sharing the great job y'all are doing.
June 6, 2013 at 9:51am   
Lesli Richardson
Ok. Big issue here. You see how ornate the front of the house is. Here's the side by the drive way. It looks institutional. Any ideas on dressing it up?
June 6, 2013 at 12:26pm   
Lesli Richardson
Couple more pics of side
June 6, 2013 at 12:31pm   
Jayme H.
Immediate reaction was the color of the window trim...too light?
June 6, 2013 at 12:32pm     
Lesli Richardson
I've that that as well. But thinking about what they would look like darker doesn't seem right either. That's the point I'm at. The other side of the house has awnings but its not as seen as this side.
June 6, 2013 at 12:37pm   
Lesli Richardson
I thought that...
June 6, 2013 at 12:37pm   
studio10001
Some vertical plant material might help. Trellising or espalier in the wider section, and carry your mounding plants across (messes w the mowing strip,but...)
June 6, 2013 at 12:43pm     
Lesli Richardson
Other side of house.
June 6, 2013 at 12:45pm     
Lesli Richardson
I hadn't even thought of a tree. Isn't it crazy how you can't think of the obvious? Crepe myrtles ?
June 6, 2013 at 12:47pm   
Lesli Richardson
There's a side walk you can't see directly under the windows.
June 6, 2013 at 12:49pm   
Lesli Richardson
Looking down the side from portico.
June 6, 2013 at 12:51pm     
studio10001
Might do! Something that looks well leafless, like Harry Lauders, would be nice, too. (It isn't crazy,leelee27 - a second set of eyeballs is how this site thrives!)
June 6, 2013 at 12:53pm   
Lesli Richardson
Thank goodness for houzz!!
June 6, 2013 at 12:59pm     
rouxb
And paint the door same as front.
June 6, 2013 at 1:31pm     
Lesli Richardson
.....and I hadn't given that door a thought!!!! I'm entirely too busy. Thanks soooo much everyone!!!! The door gets painted soon!!!
June 6, 2013 at 1:43pm   
mimilotus
Gorgeous home....
June 6, 2013 at 1:48pm   
Richard McShan
unfortunately, I started this when only the first view was posted and was unaware of the beautiful brick walk to the door. However, how about this? Shrubbery next to a drive area = scratches on vehicles, maintenance etc.
1.) Remove the shrubbery.
2.) Paint the door to accent the front door.
3.) Add trellis work/pottery and plantings to accent the roof tile and brick color of steps.

Just throwing that out there...

Peace and blessed be.
June 6, 2013 at 1:50pm   
Jayme H.
I like all the suggestions but think a tad deeper, warm paint to trim would add a lot.
June 6, 2013 at 1:54pm     
Lesli Richardson
Richard: yes the shrubs rub the car!!!! Lol. When we first started the project the only driveway took you under the portico and around the house to exit other side. No turn a round area. It's a corner lot so we opened a service entry off the side road that leads to a new carport since the garage is now a theater. When I can ill post pics of the back of home. Needs major help. But anyway my point is I got my car away from the shrubs. Haha
June 6, 2013 at 2:20pm   
rouxb
Pink jasmine on a trellis-soft and pretty and wonderfully smelly
June 6, 2013 at 2:35pm     
studio10001
(although in this instance , we seem now to have a wee pergola called for!)
June 6, 2013 at 2:49pm     
Lesli Richardson
In the process of adding one to the back door, may as well do the side!
June 6, 2013 at 2:51pm     
rouxb
May as well! Shallow arbor covering the walkway.
June 6, 2013 at 3:16pm   
June 6, 2013 at 4:02pm     
Richard McShan
Oh, yes... A pergola covered walk way from the door to the portico.. EXCELLENT. Also, in order to eliminate the grass verge between the two tire runs in the drive... remove all sod and replace with pavers. Just a thought.

I LOVE your house and all that you are doing! As we used to say back home in Humble, Texas, "Sah-weeeeet"!.
June 6, 2013 at 4:57pm     
Lesli Richardson
Yes!!! My husband and I had just said a cover over that small walk way to match the back one. The down stairs windows closest to the portico is my husbands new office. That would also help with the amount of sun that comes in seeing that those windows face the east.
June 6, 2013 at 6:30pm     
bestideasever4u
The trim looks stone like the house so if it is just the windows do black you'll love it.
June 6, 2013 at 7:03pm   
Lesli Richardson
What part black?
June 6, 2013 at 7:18pm   
studio10001
besti is late to party, and has not read thread.
June 6, 2013 at 7:19pm     
rouxb
Black may be a bit harsh for that brick and, living in a hot bed of spanish colonial architecture, I have never seen black trim on houses.
June 6, 2013 at 7:38pm     
Richard McShan
Sorry... no to black trim.... Spanish Colonial is warm, reflective, sunny, light... you get the idea. ;?)
June 7, 2013 at 7:42am   
Lesli Richardson
Yeah. I was trying to wrap my head around it. I did the iron work black but that's it. I looked online at other Spanish homes before making that call. Looked last night but didn't see any with black trim. Although I'm sure with the right color combo it would be gorgeous but not with mine.
June 7, 2013 at 8:24am     
bevballew
What about some beautiful iron or art objects, one in particular above the three pane window? Then landscaping plus perhaps a climbing hydrangea.
June 7, 2013 at 8:03pm     
Adrianne
We had a neighbor with a house really similar.. the trim was celery green.. and some pieces where cream.. the fence was a pewter color.. They had paneled curtains and in the summer they always had their windows open and the curtains would get blown around.. it was so amazingly gorgeous.
June 7, 2013 at 10:39pm   
Lesli Richardson
Sounds wonderful!!!! We decided to put shutters matching the stain on the garage door on the top windows and mini pergolas stained the same on the bottom windows. On the shutters ill add the same black hardware that I have for the garage.
June 8, 2013 at 7:46am     
Lesli Richardson
I'm going to take out two of the hedges you see in front of windows and plant two crepe myrtles since they do so well in this area. I will paint the bedroom outside door the same as the front door.
June 8, 2013 at 7:48am     
rouxb
Will that be the only place you put shutters?
June 8, 2013 at 10:23am   
soberg
Unbelievably adorable house, I have a mad crush on it and will be moving to Henderson, TX soon to get my own! Please tell me, are there many other similar houses there? Is yours one of a kind in style and vintage?
June 8, 2013 at 10:30am     
bevballew
Do you think a set of shutters on the side of the house might help? Not sure if it would. I just thought of this. What about an under window container and adding some flowers. Kinda like a European flavor with a flower arrangement on the second floor under a window.
June 8, 2013 at 10:52am   
Lesli Richardson
Rouxb: No we are going around this house with them. I just mentioned those in particular since we are discussing this side of the house. You have any ideas?
June 8, 2013 at 11:05am   
Lesli Richardson
Soberg: Sorry it's one of a kind. It was remodeled to what you see here by a man that owned the largest brick manufacturing company in the world. In the middle of this house is an old wooden farm house. I'm trying to find pics on line of the original home. No luck. It's the home of Homer Brice. He was a very well known man in texas. They say he made many men millionaires. Obviously made some good investments with partners and it paid off. His wife lived here until her death 6 years ago. The finishings inside the home were the absolute best that could be bought at the time. Unfortunately very ugly for today's standards. The piers that were put around the old farm house were so massive they sunk further than expected causing the floors to slightly bow inside. That's something we have chose to live with. Any way.... Ill quit rattling. Lol.
June 8, 2013 at 11:15am   
Lesli Richardson
Homer Bryce. Not Brice. Lol.
June 8, 2013 at 11:16am   
nancy22032
I really like the pergola - it seems very much in keeping with the architecture. Black wrought iron will always be good anywhere. Love those teal doors - my favorite color! We honeymooned in a traditional Spanish house in Mexico - the kind built around an interior garden and the doors to each room were like shutters - they were blocked open during the day to let the warmth of the sun in and closed in the evening to keep it in. The room had no windows-just a very small skylight, of course it was built of very thick adobe. If a picture of this type of double door could be found you could model the shutters on it. Maybe one of the very enterprising HOUZZERS can find a picture of this type for you. The town was named Alamosa in northern Mexico near Guadalajara and it was a dedicated historic place and the house must be 200+ years old now. Really charming!
June 8, 2013 at 7:16pm   
rouxb
I am having a hard time visualizing the shutters. I can see them on a stucco Monterrey style Spanish/Med but not on the brick eclectic. Will go search some pictures
June 8, 2013 at 8:43pm     
Richard McShan
I am going to have to agree with rouxb on this one... Shutters will cause hundreds of added horizontal lines against the staggered, beautiful brick pattern... you might want to think about it, once again. Besides, many of your pictures depict triple windows and double windows that shutters will not work on or not enough surrounding area to allow proper shutters.
Keep in mind that the original purpose of shuttering was to 'shut off' the window or 'batten down the hatches' effect. This will require correctly sized shutters to reach across and close off a window opening. If you do not follow that rule of thumb, you will negate the effect and waste your remodeling budget.
Ok... off my soap box.
Oh... by the way...as soberg said, "I have a mad crush..." on your house as well!
Peace and blessed be.
June 9, 2013 at 7:58am   
Lesli Richardson
Here's what I was considering.
June 9, 2013 at 8:16am     
Shannon Olden
they look great.
June 9, 2013 at 8:18am   
Lesli Richardson
If it lends itself to a more farm house feel I'm ok with that. Like a villa in Italy. I love rustic touches throughout the inside and outside of a home. My bath countertops will be reclaimed wood with copper vessel sinks.
June 9, 2013 at 8:19am   
Lesli Richardson
Before and after living room
June 9, 2013 at 8:21am     
Shannon Olden
wow. lovely!
June 9, 2013 at 8:22am   
bheruth
I agree that going dark would make the brick look really nice and painting the front door as an accent would bring it up to date. I would recommend doing the trim Ben Moore's Van Buren Brown (HC-70) and the front door Franklin Lakes (1643)
June 9, 2013 at 8:33am   
Richard McShan
I agree with the last pic (Faded black against the white walls). I like the idea of an Italian Villa treatment. Just keep in mind the location and limited spacing for them.
Also, Major KUDOs on the living room! Really made the fireplace stand out.
Have I mentioned that I love your house?! ;?)
June 9, 2013 at 8:46am   
Lesli Richardson
Have I mentioned I appreciate your help?! Keep it coming. :-)
June 9, 2013 at 8:59am     
Lesli Richardson
I guess I should mention that we are in the city limits here but our lot is 6 acres and is surrounded by this brick wall.
June 9, 2013 at 9:02am     
planmaam
Love, love, love this house, too! Congratulations on a wonderful find! haven't read all the posts, but my immediate reaction is to use another trim color. Around the windows, maybe, as in some of the views they get lost against the brick. Doesn't have to be too dark. I would definitely do something with the railing over the porte cochere. When you look at the picture of the whole house from the front, it looks like something has been chopped off. Maybe just painting it a darker color so it shows up would be enough. Changing some of the landscaping at the front of the house would help, too. Highlight the area to the left of the facade more.
June 9, 2013 at 9:18am     
Richard McShan
Wait... you have a brick wall surrounding your ENTIRE 6 acres? WOW! Six acres in town is a very, very nice situation. I am a little confused, however. Do you have a public walkway through your front yard? Would love to see an aerial view of your property. I have visions of meandering walks leading to trickling, oversized fountains that sing and glisten from inside brick/stone court yards that are surrounded/hidden by Windmill and Palmetto palms. (sigh... I need a glass of sweet tea!)
I have visited Henderson, Texas... well, driven through. Lots of great properties. We would drive from Dallas to the Tyler rose festival, cut through Henderson on the way to visit friends in Carthage and, then, head to Shreveport/Bosier City for a weekend of losing money.
As far as suggestions/helping with your home... absolutely, my pleasure.
June 9, 2013 at 9:28am     
Richard McShan
Planmaam... go ahead... read the ENTIRE list of postings. This is a fantastic home with many excellent suggestions from our friends here on HOUZZ.
Ms. Lesli has done some incredible improvements to make this home a jewel of Henderson, Tx.
June 9, 2013 at 9:33am   
Lesli Richardson
This is how you see the house coming up on it from the street. So you see what I mean about the side having issues.
June 9, 2013 at 9:36am   
Lesli Richardson
For the folks just now joining us. My original post was in January. The trim has been painted at great expense so needless to say it will stay this color. Just need accent tips now. Thanks!
June 9, 2013 at 9:41am     
planmaam
OK, just read more. I think the grey turquiose in rinqreation's Villa Terra picture would be a good color for the windows. A lighter, more subtle color in the same family as the front door.

I like the idea of a pergola on the side of the house, and crepe myrtles on the right side of the now almost abandoned "driveway". They will eventually provide shade to your husband's office, too, when the sun is lower after the shading of the pergola is gone (angle of the sun gone). I love crepe myrtles, and wish I could grow them here in the west; we had huge ones in our South Carolina and Texas homes. Be sure to stain or paint the pergolas; the natural wood looks too bland and contemporary.

Love what you've done inside with the fireplace! Have any pictures of the kitchen? Is it still original, or has it been remodeled? I love kitchens!

I'm not sure about shutters. I don't think it keeps with the style of the home. Paint those windows, add the pergola, then take another look. It would be too busy with shutters.
June 9, 2013 at 9:43am     
planmaam
Another point: you don't need the wrought iron at ground level at the front right of the house. I think I'd take that out. Also the two "handrails" at the back door where you have added the pergola - it distracts. At least take out the intermediate verticals, you can leave the handrail "gripping" portion if you want it.
June 9, 2013 at 9:45am   
planmaam
Wow, is all that grassed area your property?
June 9, 2013 at 9:47am     
Lesli Richardson
The handrails at the pergola will come out but wooden one will go in per the insurance company. All wood is being stained the color of garage door.
June 9, 2013 at 9:49am   
Lesli Richardson
The grass area you see in the street pic doesn't go with our home. Ours starts at the brick wall you see. Our property is more to the other side and to the back. I'm headed to back of property now for a pic to post.
June 9, 2013 at 9:51am   
PRO
Hartmann Interiors, LLC
Beautiful home and you obviously love it. I wish you and your family many years of enjoyment and I thank you for saving a piece of history.
June 9, 2013 at 9:52am     
Lesli Richardson
If I stand in the middle of our property and face the house you see my husbands shop which is about and acre from the back of the house. Standing in same spot I turned around and took a pic of the rest that goes back to the next neighborhood.
June 9, 2013 at 10:05am     
Lesli Richardson
Planmaam: The kitchen is in the works. Here's a before and a sneak pic of after
June 9, 2013 at 10:08am     
Lesli Richardson
Built in in breakfast area befor and during......
June 9, 2013 at 10:11am     
Lesli Richardson
Master bedroom ceiling before and after
June 9, 2013 at 10:15am     
Shannon Olden
gorgeous!
June 9, 2013 at 10:19am   
Lesli Richardson
View from heaven. :-)
June 9, 2013 at 10:26am     
Lesli Richardson
Master bath before and during. They had covered windows with a mirror. I uncovered them. Painted cabinetry a muted brown color. Have reclaimed counter tops coming with copper vessel sinks. Distressed tile flooring coming soon as well. Wait till you see how I'm doing the shower. It's a surprise!!!!
June 9, 2013 at 10:29am     
Lesli Richardson
Sorry..... A during of master bath vanity area.
June 9, 2013 at 10:30am     
Lesli Richardson
Richard: the side walk you see is on our property. Not public. Yes. A fountain is coming.
June 9, 2013 at 10:32am     
Lesli Richardson
Planmaam: Here's a close up of railing in the front. I think the railing at the bottom balances the railing up on portico. Thoughts?
June 9, 2013 at 10:53am     
Lesli Richardson
Side and front of lot
June 9, 2013 at 10:56am   
Lesli Richardson
Side and front of lot
June 9, 2013 at 11:04am   
Jayme H.
leelee...Just FABULOUS!! Looks like it should be a touring destination!!
June 9, 2013 at 11:42am     
rouxb
I covet your house so much it is sinful! I grew up in a 1920s Spanish colonial revival home and it was my favorite style until I accepted that the simplicity of MCM was more in keeping with my questionable housekeeping skills.

I live in Santa Barbara CA, the "red tile roof" capital of the country so I am surrounded by this architecture-nothing, however, like yours. Shutters are common but brick is not so one doesn't see the two together. Your house is more of a hybrid and the stately, classic look of it is what makes it so stunning. That is why the current color scheme works and why I am having trouble "seeing" the shutters-which is not to say I disagree with them. Shutters will just change the overall "manor" look and feel of the home but there is nothing negative attached to that. Shutters will add to the eclectic-ness of this special home.
June 9, 2013 at 11:52am     
Lesli Richardson
If you saw the bill you wouldn't covet so much....... :-(. Lol
June 9, 2013 at 12:04pm     
Lesli Richardson
Dinning room ceiling. Before and during. Will finish with copper paint and then ill antique it. Will show future light fixture to hang.
June 9, 2013 at 12:10pm     
Lesli Richardson
Dinning light
June 9, 2013 at 12:11pm     
Lesli Richardson
Before and after. We added a bath under the stairs
June 9, 2013 at 12:14pm     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
This is just an exquisite home. Thank you so much for sharing these photos - we all want to live in it vicariously!!!!
June 9, 2013 at 3:10pm     
planmaam
Wow, you have really done a lot of work! Love what you've done. I agree that the black paint on the wrought iron looks much better than the light color before. Would like to see a whole-front-of-the-home picture now with these changes. Oh, and I have now read that you already painted the windows so they will stay that color.

About the handrail at the back pergola, the code now differentiates between "handrail" and "guard". A handrail is a gripping surface for ascending and descending stairs, and a guard is required under the handrail when the distance to the ground or floor below exceeds 30". Or where there is no handrail, like the open sides of the porch on top of your porte cochere. You only need a handrail when there are 4 or more risers, and it looks to me like there are only 3 risers under the back pergola. (Just in case you want to challenge the insurance company.) ;-) That is from the International Residential Code, though, and I don't know what Henderson has adopted. In residential, you only need a handrail on one side of stairs, and in this instance you could place it along the house side of the steps, so it is unobtrusive but available should you wish to use it. You could even attach it to the house so there are no posts to hold it up.
June 9, 2013 at 6:01pm     
daylightca
I really like almost all of the choices you've made. Fantastic job on a beautiful home!
June 9, 2013 at 6:32pm   
Richard McShan
Ok, Ms. Lesli... I have but one question: When is the party and what sort of wine should I bring?
Heck... more than likely, we are ALL asking that question!
Oh, one more thing... dibs on the guest room... everyone else; tough it out!
June 9, 2013 at 8:27pm     
nancy22032
I'm so happy to hear about the fountain. It just seemed that the home would not be complete without one. Thanks for all the pictures - it is nice to be able to have a better view of the property. Mcshan: Why don't you arrange a HOUZZ tour when the work is done? With LeeLee's acquiescense of course. That would be a first right? Since the rule is "age before beauty" I get the guest room.
June 9, 2013 at 11:47pm   
nancy22032
Picture 1 of the shutter sample (light brown rustic) was what I had in mind. The typical New England style shutter would not fit at all. Good work LL
June 9, 2013 at 11:49pm   
aimran
btw loving all the new wall colours! They add so much character to each room!
June 10, 2013 at 1:13am   
Lesli Richardson
Richard: Actually we are going to have an open house. One of the local magazines out of Tyler are going to be doing a spread on the remodel. This particular house is well know in east Texas even though its not historical. We thought we'd be done by now, but we had to fire original contractor. Set us back a little. Now we are hung up finding someone to do the tile work. Everyone's busy. Bummer.
June 10, 2013 at 8:34am   
Richard McShan
Patience, Ms. Lesli... Every diamond was once a dirty rock...
June 10, 2013 at 8:42am   
Lesli Richardson
Richard: I really have no choice. Lol
June 10, 2013 at 3:45pm     
Lesli Richardson
Thanks everyone for the comments. Much appreciated.
June 10, 2013 at 3:46pm   
Shannon Olden
you have a vision for this house and it is evolving beautifully!
June 10, 2013 at 3:55pm     
Lesli Richardson
Thank you!!! Some times I wonder if my visions are realistic though. I have visions of beautiful flowing silk curtains but they won't manifest.
June 10, 2013 at 4:02pm   
Shannon Olden
faux silk!! no one will know!
June 10, 2013 at 4:28pm     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
..and they will probably be washable!
June 10, 2013 at 4:42pm     
Lesli Richardson
Got some before and afters of progress.
August 7, 2013 at 9:05am     
Lesli Richardson
Hall behind stairs
August 7, 2013 at 9:06am     
Lesli Richardson
Office. Check out the pecky cypress ceiling
August 7, 2013 at 9:07am     
Lesli Richardson
Master bedroom
August 7, 2013 at 9:07am     
Lesli Richardson
Livingroom
August 7, 2013 at 9:08am     
Lesli Richardson
Guest bath
August 7, 2013 at 9:09am   
Lesli Richardson
Upstairs hall. Painting spindles black.
August 7, 2013 at 9:10am     
Richard McShan
Great to hear from you, again, Ms. Leslie. You should be proud of your progress! Looks fantastic!
August 7, 2013 at 9:10am   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Wow, you have been working hard! It is looking great - continue to keep us posted. You have SUCH a beautiful house.
August 7, 2013 at 9:13am   
Lesli Richardson
Kitchen so far.....
August 7, 2013 at 9:18am   
Lesli Richardson
I'll post more after complete. Thanks everyone!!!!
August 7, 2013 at 9:19am     
Lesli Richardson
Found out the ugly fire place I covered is majolica tiles and worth a small fortune. Glad I didn't tear it out.
September 7, 2013 at 2:44pm     
studio10001
You Lucky Dog, YOU!!!!!
September 7, 2013 at 3:02pm   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Wow! What a find!
September 7, 2013 at 3:07pm   
nancy22032
Nice to see the progress - we all fell in love with your home. Any progress on the fountain? This is truly a mansion - so different from the McMansions builders are throwing up (really?) all over the country.
September 7, 2013 at 5:14pm   
Lesli Richardson
We start the landscape next week. Looks like we have to put in a new irrigation system. All the existing plants come out then we are coming in with sago ferns and native palms and Italian cypress. The azaleas and boxwood have too formal a feel to them. And yes!!!!!! We are adding a vintage distressed Spanish fountain.
September 7, 2013 at 5:31pm     
Lesli Richardson
Master bed.
September 7, 2013 at 5:40pm     
Lesli Richardson
Thought the pic of master bed would show more in pic but it chopped it. Sorry.
September 7, 2013 at 5:41pm     
Lesli Richardson
Master bath. Before , during, after. Mirrors not hung yet. Going for an Italian farmhouse feel.
September 10, 2013 at 6:15am     
Lesli Richardson
Before and after of staircase
September 22, 2013 at 3:12pm     
decoenthusiaste
Somehow I missed this entire post but it was a great read! Please post more as you wrap it up!
September 22, 2013 at 3:50pm     
Lesli Richardson
Master
September 22, 2013 at 5:11pm     
Lesli Richardson
Breakfast nook
September 22, 2013 at 5:12pm     
Lesli Richardson
Powder room added under stairs
September 22, 2013 at 5:13pm     
Lesli Richardson
Livingroom
September 22, 2013 at 5:14pm     
Lesli Richardson
Kitchen
September 22, 2013 at 5:15pm     
Lesli Richardson
Oven
September 22, 2013 at 5:16pm   
Lesli Richardson
Back of livingroom.
September 22, 2013 at 5:17pm     
Lesli Richardson
Took out washer and dryer that was in kitchen. Added an all-in-one washer/dryer and a wine chiller. Put a stainless top on counter as a folding area.
September 22, 2013 at 5:19pm     
Lesli Richardson
Built-in cabinet in breakfast area
September 22, 2013 at 5:21pm     
Lesli Richardson
Dinning room.
September 22, 2013 at 5:28pm     
chrisinky
Just saw this thread & read through it all. I'm so glad there are people who buy places like this & restore them. I love old buildings, whether they are houses, barns or businesses. Unfortunately, I am not able to restore them. Two old farm houses were torn down near my house a few months ago & I actually went into a sort of depression for a few days. It broke my heart. One had beautiful woodwork inside & the other was around a 100 year old brick salt box type of house. They had not been lived in for a while so had been very neglected. Still, they were part of the community.

On a much brighter note, your house is amazing & I hope you have a lifetime of wonderful memories made there. You should also be very proud of yourselves! I'm sure there are many people in your town who drive by your house & are thankful that it was saved because they love it too. (Even if they never see the inside)
October 29, 2013 at 8:42am   
studio10001
Those of us that can see inside are looking forward to Christmas!
October 29, 2013 at 9:38am     
Richard McShan
Morning, Ms. Leslie.
I see you are still rocking and rolling on your masterpiece.
Thanks for the pics and keeping us updated.
October 29, 2013 at 10:34am   
Lesli Richardson
Two pics taken in 1948 of the house. They were given to me today by Homer Bryce's oldest daughter. She came by see to what all I have done. She loved it!!
December 11, 2013 at 5:47pm     
studio10001
How nice to be in contact with the family, and what a lovely gift!!
December 11, 2013 at 6:04pm     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
That is fabulous! Having lived in 3 old houses, including our current one, I appreciate old photos so much, and to be able to talk to the daughter and show her the house had to be just so cool!!!
December 11, 2013 at 7:00pm   
PRO
Michael Lee, Inc
Classic home don't change it
December 11, 2013 at 7:02pm   
daylightca
You've done a fantastic job!
December 12, 2013 at 10:27am   
mumsicade
I'm building soon. A first for me. Wish I could capture some of what I see in each room, lee lee. So far am planning French cottage coastal look on a lake in south mississippi. I study and study and have great decorator and builder. Well, I got a special opportunity! Sooo thankful!! Always wanted to do this building project. Am trusting I will like the end result half as much as I like your home. Congratulations !
December 13, 2013 at 6:40pm   
Lesli Richardson
Finished upstairs bath. Before/after.
December 14, 2013 at 8:21am     
PRO
Bravehart Building
lovely
December 14, 2013 at 8:23am   
Lesli Richardson
Thanks everyone for the awesome comments. We have had all the landscape pulled out and still waiting on the new to be put in. Ill post those pics I'm sure in the spring. Right now the outside looks quite rough.
December 14, 2013 at 8:25am     
Lesli Richardson
Mumsicade: Much luck to you on your up coming build. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
December 14, 2013 at 8:27am   
Richard McShan
Very Nice... Just like everything else you and your crew have tackled.
Now, what is this about ripping out all the landscaping?
December 14, 2013 at 8:29am   
Lesli Richardson
Finished back porch.
December 14, 2013 at 8:37am     
Lynnie
Mediterranean brings in colors like gold, appricot and turquoise. I actually can see a Teal or Peacock color for your trim. You could also go with a Rust-Brown depending upon how much color you want to bring in.
December 14, 2013 at 8:45am   
Lesli Richardson
New look for this area.
December 14, 2013 at 8:45am     
Lesli Richardson
Inside I use turquoise as an accent in every room. My front door is teal.
December 14, 2013 at 8:47am     
Lesli Richardson
Front door.
December 14, 2013 at 8:53am     
studio10001
Beautiful, leelee27.
December 14, 2013 at 12:43pm   
lucindalane
Wow, I just had this pop up. Such a lovely home. Also, this is the first time that I have ever seen a home on Houzz that is close to my own-I just live about forty miles from Henderson, and my son lives in Tyler.
December 14, 2013 at 1:34pm   
Lesli Richardson
Lucindalane: Next time your in the area we are right on Main Street.
December 14, 2013 at 1:41pm   
lucindalane
Thanks, leelee27. The next time I go to Tyler, my mom and I just might take the scenic route through Henderson. I think we can detour to, maybe, Highway 64 there, and take a direct route to Tyler. I went to school at SFA, so I used to go through Henderson all the time. ^_^
December 14, 2013 at 1:50pm   
halfpint2
Have you checked out the pictures of Spanish Mediterranean homes on this site, there are some beautiful examples, one looks very similar to your beautiful home!
December 14, 2013 at 1:51pm   
Lesli Richardson
Lucindalane: You went to SFA? Did you read that this house is the Homer Bryce home?
December 14, 2013 at 1:57pm   
Lesli Richardson
Halfpint2. Can you post a pic of the one similar?
December 14, 2013 at 1:59pm   
lucindalane
Oh my goodness. I knew that the name sounded familiar. Somehow I always remember the Steen name more in regard to my old school than Mr. Bryce.
December 14, 2013 at 2:08pm   
Lesli Richardson
I think the foot ball stadium was dedicated to Homer in the 80's. But I'm not real sure of the year.
December 14, 2013 at 2:12pm   
lucindalane
Well, I graduated in 1979. I think he was the head guy on the Board of Regents then.
December 14, 2013 at 2:23pm   
Lesli Richardson
Yes. He was.
December 14, 2013 at 2:34pm   
saratogaswizzlestick
What a gorgeous home. I think you picked the perfect trim and front door colors, your choices really let the architectural features shine. Love what you did with the back porch and garage. I look forward to seeing your landscaping choices, hopefully a fountain is in your future. So wonderful that someone who appreciated the original details bought and restored this gem.
December 14, 2013 at 2:47pm   
lucindalane
SFA was very fortunate to have such such a successful alumnus as Mr. Bryce to take an interest and financially support the school. It's also great that his home has been cared for there in Henderson, and you are certainly carrying on the tradition.
December 14, 2013 at 5:40pm   
halfpint2
Amazing home, I love it!
December 15, 2013 at 4:32pm   
chrisinky
I love the picture of your front door & was delighted to see that I have picked the same light fixture for over my front door. I haven't had mine hung yet though. My door isn't near as beautiful as yours but the light fixture is very nice. I will remember that I have great taste every time I go in. :)

You should contact a magazine like Southern Living or Better Homes & Gardens to do a spread on your house once it is finished. With its beauty and history it would be a great story. Judging from the responses on this thread, there is a lot of interest in it.
December 16, 2013 at 8:14am   
PRO
Sustainable Dwellings
OMG!!! Your house is flippin beautiful!! I am sitting at the dining table of my brand new, not quite finished, house... howling! I love the character and hope you will continue posting this absolute Eye Candy.
December 16, 2013 at 8:24am   
chrisinky
I just skimmed through this whole thread again, mostly to look at the pictures. I saw where you said a local magazine was going to do a spread on your house. If they have an online version of the magazine, please post a link when they do the article.

Thinking more about your front door, I am considering whether a turquoise color might look good on mine. I have light gray siding & multi-colored brick, so I had planned to paint it a charcoal gray come spring. I have a few months to think about it until then. The turquoise is beautiful......
December 16, 2013 at 9:01am   
Lesli Richardson
We are waiting for landscaping to be put in. Things are taking a lot longer than expected. Magazine will probably be spring when yard is pretty.
December 16, 2013 at 9:27am     
Nancy Travisinteriors
You have done a great job. It's been a long road. Since this was first posted. Glad you posted all your journey on your way to a beautiful home. Enjoy.
December 16, 2013 at 11:11am   
Lesli Richardson
Thanks everyone for the comments. I'll continue to keep you posted.
December 16, 2013 at 2:44pm     
Lesli Richardson
Got some of the landscaping done.
January 2, 2014 at 6:29am     
PRO
Sustainable Dwellings
A tresure there.
January 2, 2014 at 6:43am   
armygirl1987
Well done.
January 2, 2014 at 9:26am   
bevballew
Nice landscaping!
January 2, 2014 at 3:21pm   
Lesli Richardson
Converted detached garage. Media room. Yes we are LSU fans. GO TIGERS.
March 17, 2014 at 6:07pm     
studio10001
Great location for game parties - well done!
March 18, 2014 at 12:21pm   
Cyndy
Just saw your discussion for the first time, and I am GREEN with envy! To think you actually get to sit on that sofa and admire the fireplace, lay on that beautiful bed, and actually use that bathroom :)

Please keep us posted!
March 18, 2014 at 1:15pm   
victorianbungalowranch
Beautiful House. Glad you didn't tear out the tile because that is really period, and could look great with the right color palette. But I like what you did too, and it is always good to go with something that can be removed if you are altering the design of a historic house.

The trim color is nice, but maybe a tad fleshy for my tastes. I think I would go with a cooler color, something like oyster or antique white, to go with the sills and columns, and maybe a version of the door color (bit darker and more subdued maybe) for just the inside sash (the part that holds the glass, not the casing) for a bit of punch. It was typical of buildings of this period to have a darker sash and lighter casings, although not always on a house like this.

I was thinking of something darker for the fascia, perhaps a color like what is on the garage door, maybe slightly darker, or maybe just on the corbels. Or the section underneath the fascia (top wall trim) might look good in turquoise.

I would try it on the low gable on the side by the door and see how you like it first, up close and at a distance. It can be tricky to get the color harmony just right, but I think it could be enough to give it a bit of sparkle.

The windows look to be in pretty good shape and so much more character than new windows, although it looks like some picture windows were put in the 60s or so.
I hope you are keeping the old windows and are just replacing the glazing putty and such. Make sure they do not use DAP glazing putty--it is terrible. Steam works well to remove old putty and paint. A traditional linseed oil based putty is better. John Leeke is a great source on historic window repair.

Martha Stewart has turquoise sashes (or storms, don't quite remember) on one of her homes, and they looked terrific. It is a very traditional color for masonry homes and evokes verdigris, the natural color of weathered copper. It is also very traditional color for garden benches and such, esp. in France and England. Not sure about Spain/Mediterranean--I think masonry benches are more customary.

Have you thought about listing the building? It could have helped with the expense of rebuilding the arches and other repairs.
March 18, 2014 at 1:16pm   
victorianbungalowranch
Whoops, I see the post was a year ago and you no doubt have painted by now!
March 18, 2014 at 1:17pm   
aimran
Great makeover with minimal strokes in each room!
March 19, 2014 at 5:41am      Thanked by Lesli Richardson
Lesli Richardson
It's never too late.......live your dream.
March 23, 2014 at 9:30am     
studio10001
(Leelee, you glamourpuss, you!)
March 23, 2014 at 10:06am     
armygirl1987
Love it, even the sink sitting on top.
March 23, 2014 at 5:52pm   
Lesli Richardson
Palms have been planted.
March 24, 2014 at 5:40pm     
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.