Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for kitchen Reno
princesstwinkle
January 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
After 7 months our kitchen renovation is complete but I still need to find a sideboard or something in between the two blue chairs to the right. Also in the barrel vaulted hallway I need a lighting fixture. Help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
princesstwinkle
This is a Swedish Gustavian sideboard that I was considering...
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 5:52PM
karmastudios
Beautiful kitchen! Love the sideboard...I would put a small french chandelier in the hallway!
4 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 5:56PM
lanton1
You need something more classic with your beautiful kitchen... Like this great sideboard that will tie into the colors of the room and kitchen table. Not deep. I have 2. I have one available for the space between the two chairs.
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 5:59PM
PRO
EB Interiors
Your kitchen came out stunning! i like the side board and think it would work well in your setting. I would love to see a lantern style chandlier in the hall...
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 6:02PM
groveraxle
The sideboard is perfect.
2 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 6:13PM
sharleeg
Lucky you! Gorgeous space! Just an observation but all 4 chairs against walls looks a bit much to me. Maybe it is just the perspective here. the simplicity of the table setting is nice, but have you tried adding the ones in back to the table to round that out. Push them out form table, not so squeezed in. Some beautiful drapery panels, puddled, to fill in the space, not too close to sconce.. leave some room.
I love that Gustavian piece myself. That is a great place to add a nice piece of art as well to get height and balance out the tall bank of cabs on opposite wall. Of course, I know you intend to add a chandelier in tat hall where currently it is light bulb. Many choices for a small chandelier in oil rubbed bronze.Some beautiful old rugs with blue would finish it nicely and make it cozy.I hope you will have many years to enjoy that great space.
3 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 6:18PM
princesstwinkle
Thanks for the feedback everyone. The only thing that is throwing me a bit about the sideboard is the color. I am concerned that introducing the grey just comes out of left field??? But perhaps it ties in with fabric so it's OK??? I found another Swedish sideboard that was more creamy in color., like my cabinetry. Any thoughts on that? I like the idea of the lantern and that is the direction I am leaning towards because of the simplicity. Sharleeg a lot of your ideas are things I want to do when I have more of a budget!!!! Would love a little antique rug in my hallway as well as art over the sideboard. (sigh!) All in due time:-)
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 6:37PM
sharleeg
no more cream. PLENTY of that with cabs already, you need the contrast. You have gray in marble and it will work great with the blue.So, go for the " fake" , faded, made to look old rugs! It will still look great! You can find inexpensive art lots of places, including on this site! Seriously, i have a very high end kitchen with some pieces mixed in from Home Goods, etc and no one can tell the difference if you choose wisely. It will look great!
3 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 6:49PM
karmastudios
I agree with Sharleeg. No more cream. Also, check on Craigs list for rugs and Habitat ReStore (if there is one where you live) for light fixtures and rugs, etc. I found a beautiful 12x17 ft. hand tufted Persian rug at our local Habitat for $75!! And don't forget about consignment shops for all of the above as well as artwork.
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 6:58PM
insideandout
Wow, you have my dream house! Soooo beautiful! Loving everything in the kitchen. Carrara marble, be still my heart. Enough gushing, I would add an antique side board, maybe a little more rough, a textured piece for the opposition to the finished kitchen. As much as I hate to say it maybe an antique pine piece? Just something that has weathered the test of time, that has seen family and friends coming and going. In the hall I can't see anything but a crystal chandelier maybe one with some color in it but you don't really need it. Your palette is perfect, at this point you just need reflection and sparkle.
2 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 7:02PM
PRO
Classic Designs by Brook
go for a antique piece between chairs; and in the hallway find a unique mini chandelier that will also double as an art piece/conversation starter.
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 7:21PM
princesstwinkle
Ok be strong! Don't wimp out..NO MORE CREAM. You are helping me with my confidence. Inside out thanks for your kind words about my kitchen. The first piece that I considered was a pine piece but it was beyond my means and it was almost too antiquey. It was from 1850 seemed very fragile. I have two small children:-) But perhaps I should take a look at it again??? Oh and the marble is not Carrara, it is called Vermont Danby. It is much less expensive and has the same stain resistant properties as granite.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 7:22PM
princesstwinkle
This is the light fixture I originally choose. It is a Movarian star light fixture. I like the size but I decided it didn't work. It seemed to ruin/detracted from the simplicity of the barrel vaulted ceiling.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 7:25PM
princesstwinkle
Classic designs by Brook. I love the Chandelier you posted!!! I agree that I need something unique. Is that a piece that is available somewhere? If so could you give me contact info?
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 7:29PM
PRO
Classic Designs by Brook
Currey and Company - Castello 4 light. You can order thru Lamps Plus; or one of your local lighting stores. Love your home!
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 7:34PM
princesstwinkle
Thanks Brook! I just went on there website and I also liked the Zara small pendant!
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 7:52PM
PRO
Classic Designs by Brook
I did too , Almost sent that one. We must have the same taste.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 7:54PM
insideandout
I love the grey in the Swedish sideboard, I think it will tie in nicely. And thanks for the tip on the marble. It is gorgeous.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 5:21AM
princesstwinkle
Thanks! Here is the pine cabinet. Better?
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 5:31AM
princesstwinkle
Or to bland?
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 5:32AM
insideandout
I like it! But I like the Swedish one too. Both will add some color and warmth. My only concern with the Swedish one, is will it fight with the beautiful color in the chairs? Or will it enhance? Hard to tell from the pics. If you bought the Swedish console you could put an antique basket underneath. But the pine will give you additional storage for dishes, linens etc. If the pine is too pricey can you make an offer?
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 6:11AM
princesstwinkle
Hi Inside out! Both pieces are from the same shop and the owner does not deal:-( I live in Chicago, so good deals are hard to come by unless I travel out of state. Great comments about the swedish piece fighting with my chairs. I have the same concern, soooooo I will take one of my chairs with me to the shop and put it next to each piece, before buying. Better safe than sorry! Thanks again for your help!
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 6:22AM
sharleeg
Swedish gets my vote. Love it. You need the contrast. I can't see how the gray would fight with the chairs. Shouldn't be matchy. To my eye the pine goes away too much with the flooring.Have you ever tried looking on 1stDibs? So much to see. No need to limit to the area you are in.
That Vermont calacatta look is the way to go! I almost used in last month in a kitchen i was doing but the slabs were not wide enough for the pie shaped island. It is amazing though and so durable. You have a lovely space.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 8:55AM
princesstwinkle
Thanks Sharleeg. Have the same fear about pine piece. I am leaning towards Swedish. I have been looking on 1st dibs and King's Lane for lighting fixture and sideboard for several months. So far these two pieces are the best that I have found. I am open to anything else anyone finds. Thanks for your help. Just curious, what did you think of the Movarian star fixture in the barrel vaulted hallway?
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 9:06AM
feeny
Love the little Swedish piece, including the color. Simple, classic, beautiful--as is your whole house!
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 9:10AM
sharleeg
do you have some pendants or chandelier over island? I see you don't have one over your eating table. would be good to tie in with what you may have.. if anything. The star is very classic and I feel it would work well if you like that.Your sconces in rear seem to be very simple from what I can see. A very streamlined small lantern type would look amazing too.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 9:25AM
PRO
Rachel Oliver Design, LLC
I am really loving your new kitchen. It is so calming and serene! Mixing styles and textures is something I love to do to make a space interesting and warm. Here are a couple of things that I immediately thought of when I saw your photos. I hope the photos will show up. If not, here are the links: http://www.circalighting.com/details.aspx?pid=875 ( this fixture is by Visual Comfort and comes in a variety of finishes) http://www.bernhardt.com/product.php?sku=424-916S,%20424-916&page=consoletables
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 9:26AM
princesstwinkle
Thanks for the continued feedback. Sharleeg I don't have any fixtures over the island. There is a big arched window over my kitchen sink and two arched french doors as well as the big window in the breakfast room, so I get a lot of natural light. I like the idea of something simple to go with the sconces.
Hi Rachel! Ironically the fixture that you posted is one that I have looked @ often. The sconces are Circa as well, so I think they would compliment each other. The finish on sconces is antique nickel. Should i do the same finish? The other fixture in my foyer is more gold.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 9:40AM
PRO
Rachel Oliver Design, LLC
Hey, there! If the fixtures are gong to be seen together I'd do the same style of finish. When too many finishes are seen together, it can look pretty strange. I was thinking that lantern style of this Visual Comfort fixture would look very elegant in the barrel-vaulted hallway. It seems to have a simple elegance and great proportions that I haven't seen in other fixtures.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 9:47AM
sharleeg
whoops , my link didn't paste but check out the Corbett St Moritz cylinder pendant. It is in bronze finish, very simple but classic and has an arch shaped top
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 10:05AM
sharleeg
I know you have budget concerns you mentioned (who doesn't) but take a look at inexpensive rug options that have that antique look. I like the Desa Blue rug by Pottery Barn, has all sizes and runner too. It's a greenish blue which might work well with the blues and grays and has cream subtle detail on edges.the rugs will really cozy up your space fast.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 10:25AM
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
Love the new kitchen and the sideboard is perfect! Gorgeous!
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 10:45AM
princesstwinkle
Thank you for the ideas. I really like the corbett St. moritz fixture. I was very surprised at the price. It looks very expensive! Also Thank you Rachel for the advice on the finish.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 12:32PM