Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with window treatments.
Gina Zelade
January 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need help with window treatment ideas. This is a 1933 house and I don't want to go too modern. This is a dinning room and the color scheme will be antique blue and cream. Just not sure how to treat the odd window combination.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lesli Richardson
What style is your table?
January 1, 2013 at 5:57PM   
Gina Zelade
It is actually an old library table.
January 1, 2013 at 5:58PM   
Lesli Richardson
Love that!!! Have you thought of plantation blinds or shutters?
January 1, 2013 at 5:59PM   
Gina Zelade
Hadn't thought of that. Good idea.
January 1, 2013 at 6:01PM   
Lesli Richardson
I would say your windows are too close to walls for drapes.
January 1, 2013 at 6:02PM   
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Tough one.....you have 2 windows with no room to stack panels off the glass, and a center inset window with a window seat? under it? First thought is not to do panels, but 3 shades of any description,...depending on your taste...roman, hobbled roman, balloon, relaxed roman..all mounted at the same height, but the 2 outside ones obviously outside mount and the center one inside mount. This in an attempt to make the windows appear somewhat more uniform. If you wanted a very traditional 30's formal, board mounted swags across the wall to hide the tops of the windows, with a single drapery panel on each side. These panels will sit over the window somewhat and can be pulled back to he wall with tiebacks.
Depends on what your style is though to a large degree.
January 1, 2013 at 6:03PM   
insideandout
Roman shades in a neutral fabric with some texture, like a rough woven linen or muslin. It keeps it simple, and doesn't take away from your furniture or artwork.
January 1, 2013 at 6:07PM   
Gina Zelade
The house will be very eclectic. I love the sound of that but not sure I can really picture how to make that happen. Where could I see an example of that type of drapery? Is that something I could have made? I have material I like but have not purchased.
January 1, 2013 at 6:10PM   
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
If the look was not formal, I'd suggest a cornice board (or some style of valance) made in one piece to go all the way across the wall above the windows, and covering the tops of the windows, with either shades or panels underneath. That way you are not focusing on the unevenness at the tops of the windows.
January 1, 2013 at 6:17PM     
bhelmore
Is that a full wall around the center window with the window seat? I think I would totally remove it.
I would treat the windows as one.

Use a cornice board on top, and small columns of curtains at both sides and in between the windows (4 in all) - very, very small columns, 4 to 6 inches.

If you don't need the blinds for privacy, I would certainly think about removing them totally and exposing the glass. That would make that wall look so much larger!
January 1, 2013 at 10:10PM   
PRO
Shades IN Place
Wooden shutters with fabric valances and window seat using the same fabric is an option.Like Julie said, I don't see room to stack drapes...

You can even do small louvers like 1 7/8 or 1 1/4 on the shutters to keep the "antique" look
January 2, 2013 at 8:46AM     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would recommend going with a Shutter. We carry a line of shutter that would match your existing frame color . http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/shutters-toronto.html
January 2, 2013 at 12:07PM   
Aja Mazin
Plantation blinds or shutters and make a cushion for the window seat using the same fabric as your chairs.

I would avoid white.

Blue and cream.is a fantastic color scheme!
What do you consider antique blue?

Something like this, perhaps?
January 2, 2013 at 12:34PM   
PRO
Kempler Design
While most of the other commenters have suggested hiding the unevenness of the windows, or ignoring that fact, I am suggesting that you consider a different option. Since you describe your style as eclectic, might I suggest that you not only embrace the differences in your windows, you might even consider accentuate their differences. For example, you might do coordinating fabrics on the windows, with a bold pattern on either the side windows or the center window, with a solid or banded fabric on the other. You are not obligated to do the same treatment on all the windows. I could see doing something like shutters on the side windows, with a fabric treatment on the center window. Any GOOD designer can help you come up with something that truly complements your personal style. I know that I'd have fun working with those windows, so I hope you come up with just the right solution. Don't compromise!
January 2, 2013 at 7:14PM