Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How to improve the look of this ugly pipe
brendaob
January 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
HI I have a pellet stove which is fine but I dislike the ugly black pipe going up to the ceiling, I was considering building a corner wall but able to still access the pellet lid to pour in pellets, I like a more traditional look, we have no gas line and propane is so expensive so im stuck with the pellet stove, which is electric, any suggestions on improving this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elklaker
I don't know if you can paint it but, if you can and heat is not an issue, go with the same color as your walls.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 6:36PM
pcmom1
Wow, that is a challenge!

I would paint the walls the color of the mortar, ceiling also. Then I would paint the pipe the same color. And then do everything to not make the wood stove a focal point. Take all the wall decor around it down. Take the lamp away also.

Since the stove is black, need a little black spread around the room: in picture frames for example.

More pictures of the rest of the room would help. I also have a corner wood stove, although my pipe isn't as bad! But, trust me, I understand!
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 6:37PM
brendaob
I dont think I can paint the pipe due to the heat issue it really warms up, as far as the brick i was thinking of removing it or covering with drywall at an angle traditional mantle Thank you for the suggestions the stove is a deep burgandy brown.
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 7:12PM
PRO
Eagledzines
As long as you're using the stove, you can't paint stove pipe. The paint would burn off.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 7:19PM
pcmom1
How about building something to encase the whole thing? Just leaving the wood stove open of course.
2 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 7:21PM
brendaob
yes my idea PCmom1 just have to make sure clearence is enough not to cause a fire hazard, I hate the brick too, and the brick it sits on is cracked so that has to go too.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 7:58PM
mveasey
You can paint heat sensitive items. You just need the right paint. We painted our ceramic Green Egg style bbq and it stayed on no problem and didnt smell, but mind you we used that thing outside... Ask a pro at Home Depot or a fireplace store. I would paint it the same colour as your wall. i think the paint was TremClad high heat enamel. A the same time people expect pipes with woodstoves. it does not look too out of place for me.
3 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 8:02PM
Arlen Dau
Have someone who knows pipe work redo the job. Yes, it is ugly - mostly because it takes a wicked turn in the middle and is not straight up and down. A proper job will be straight, vertical and adjusts either all the way at the top or just above the stove. Once you have a vertical pipe, it will not be so out of place. Be careful about removing the brick surround - there are safety considerations regarding the distance from a wall surface and it's resistance to heat. If the mortar is cracking then it may also not be heat resistant - you may want to check into that too.
2 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 10:13PM