Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need some help with my small space
jwierckz
January 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Please help me with my floor plan the space is small and does not function well.

The family room in the back of the house is small as stated 12 x 11 but the back wall is a slider. The right wall is a bar and entry to the kitchen. There is no front wall the staircase is open. Furniture and audio/video placement is crowded and almost impossible.

As suggested by the floor plan the great room is for the formal entry/living and dining room again a small place for a lot of furniture.
About 15 x 21.

I am currently utilizing the family room as a dining room as the furniture fits better there and the great room as a family room which make the entry of my house not very elegant.

But I am looking to remodel/redesign the whole place and would like to move the family room back to that area. One suggestion I had was to close the stairs on that side only to create 2 usable walls in that room but furniture placement is still a problem as the couch placement would be in front of the slider. Suggestions ??

I would like to try to find an elegant functional furniture placement for the spaces as designed with the family room in back and the great room to function as a formal entry/living and dining room.

Help
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pcmom1
I believe spaces should be utilized, and I think, formal and elegant great room too often means "walk thru to the family room".

Carrying food and dishes every day a long way is something to consider. How many people sit and eat together daily? Seems a good sized table in the "family room" works best.

Great room can still be elegant, but be sure there are functions and comfort in the room. Do you need a good spot to watch tv? Add a great built in unit and face it with a beautiful sectional.

For an elegant touch, add a round table to the area in front of the tile to hold a nice arrangement and give a little privacy from the front door (think upscale hotel lobby).
January 1, 2013 at 7:17PM   
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olldroo
jw - are you wanting the 'formal' living dining room because you feel it is the done thing or do you really want a formal room. I really think the layout of your room is just not condusive to 'formal' As pcmom says, you can still have elegant while maintaining practical.

I would definitely keep the family room for dining and keep the great room for living. Like pcmom's idea to give privacy from the front door, but I would move it into the room further to allow free access to the room. I would put a large sofa facing the blank wall and back to stairs to create a walkway to the powder room, stairs, family room and kitchen. A second sofa could be at right angles backing the kitchen wall or use a sectional in lieu of two sofas. A built in on the blank wall for TV and general storage and single chairs as necessary. I like ottomans at the moment but either an ottoman or a coffee table in front of lounges.

Alternatively, you could put the second sofa backing the entrance way and move the round table to the corner of the lounges to create your privacy screen.

Where the window is beside the entry could make a nice reading nook with comfy chair and lamp.

In the family room, it appears you have one full wall for storage should you need it, otherwise a nice floating buffet with artwork on the wall. I would have the table at right angles to the door and add potted plants to your patio for a nice outlook from the table.

[houzz=Pacific Hillside Retreat]

[houzz=Summer House]
January 1, 2013 at 7:57PM     
More Discussions
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
What do I do with this GAUDY Rococo Bedroom Set? Help
So, very good friends of mine moved to the Yucatan....
Front Door Makeover
Our indoor renovation is completed and now we are on...
Exterior assistance needed
We removed the kitchen door to make room for a larger...
My new 'grey' carpet reads VERY blue. Need some advice :)
Hello Houzz friends. My new carpet looks very blue...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.