Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Fireplace Makeover
gerenfam
January 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I would love to hear ideas on how to makeover this wood burning fireplace area. We will be putting a tv over the fireplace. Thanks in advance for your help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sharleeg
that seems awkward to me, to have a TV mounted there. What is on other side of room? Can you show us please?
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 8:00PM
gerenfam
We originally thought to use the wall opposite the fireplace for the tv but there seems to be walkway issues when we do this and the fireplace gets completely ignored. The room is 21 ft long by 16 ft wide.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 8:19PM
gerenfam
Just realized I have a few more pictures.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 8:24PM
gerenfam
Looking straight on to the room....
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 8:25PM
sharleeg
it's a big space. i think the TV will look awkward on the FP side with that corner FP and the open arch. The other side has huge open wall space, practically begging for a wall unit and TV. I think you could easily do an arrangement there and perhaps do a small 2 chairs by FP in a cozy setting. Those corner FP are often not really the focal point but more like atmosphere.. See what anyone else suggests. Best of luck!
2 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 8:47PM
Peg Silverwood
Is this the only room that can be used for your television? I would put the television on the opposite wall from the fireplace. Key to make it work is to decide your seating plan and give yourself options of changing it with the television on that wall. In looking our the windows and doors I would position my sofa opposite from them and a sofa table behind it. How big is your beautiful space?
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 8:55PM
gerenfam
The room is 21 ft long (from entry to windows) by 16 ft wide (space between fireplace & opposite wall) I do not have furniture yet....can you recommend a seating plan with the tv on the large wall? We do have a smaller family room but it will only accomodate a small tv and 4-5 people tops for any type of gathering/tv watching. We are hoping to utilize all rooms in this house and even though this is considered the "formal living room" our desire is that it is used in our everyday living.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 9:09PM
Peg Silverwood
Is there a certain style you prefer?
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 9:23PM
gerenfam
I definitely love classic contemporary. This room will also be changed to hard wood floors in a medium/medium dark color. I'm most likely changing the wall color too - suggestions?
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 9:32PM
PRO
Welcome Home designs
I'm not sure that your fireplace wall is the best place for your TV. Most fireplace walls serve as focal points for a room but I think in your case it doesn't appear to be the first wall you see when you walk into your living room (only from one entrance)
However if you transform that arched passway into a TV nook you might be able to use the wall for both functions.
I was only able to find one similar layout when looking through Houzz
Fireplace- a divider of space 1

Fireplace- a divider of space 2
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 9:53PM
Peg Silverwood
I thought that I was viewing wood planks on the floor. A 7ft sofa would be the biggest I would go. You could put them facing each other one in front of the exterior doors and the other directly across from it.That should give you enough room to add two smaller scale occasional chairs facing the wall that your Television would be on. I large square ottoman with open bottom would be great in the center. This would give you lots of seating. There are so many different entertainment options on line. Take a look and see what style you prefer and save image and post it. I noticed that there is an electrical outlet in the floor, will you be keeping it? One of the very easiest ways to figure positioning of furniture is to get a roll for brown paper and cut pieces that will be the size of your furnishings then move them around to get the visual. I will add more as I think about it. ;D
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 9:53PM
Peg Silverwood
As far as color, it appears that you would have to paint the entire house which would be the only way. You could paint the alcove a different color. Depending on how you utilize it, you could go light or dark.
What colors are you thinking?
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 10:30PM