Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with kitchen
kriesenbec
January 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My kitchen opens up to my dining area and living room. I have tan porcelain tile on the floor but a short shag carpeting in living room. What color granite would look best with these cabinets and what type of knobs for cabinets. This is for our lake house. I like the pottery barn look and Ballard designs look.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I like the last picture with the two friendly-looking gentlemen in it!

Do you have a sample of your floor tile? If so, I would recommend you take that to the granite supplier and walk through their warehouse looking at the slabs. The slabs can vary quite significantly from the little samples that we designers have for reference, so you're best to do the legwork and then decide what you find pleasing. You should have lots of options with that tile. I think something that's light and has similar colours to your tile would be quite beautiful and easy to live with.

Are you planning on putting in a backsplash? Your granite will not have a back lip on it (or at least I hope it won't!), so this is your opportunity to install a classic tile like white porcelain subway tile which will be a beautiful complement to your cabinets and granite.

As far as hardware on your cabinetry is concerned, I like to have a combination of knobs and handles so everything doesn't look the same. I like knobs on upper cabinets and handles on the lowers. I find that if I put a knob on a drawer front, it tends to catch people in the pockets and can rip their clothes if they're not careful.

What I like to do is pick up a few different options, borrow them or purchase them (making sure they're returnable) and bring them to the cabinets, hold them up, and see in the room whether they're right. I'm not sure where you are located, but in Canada, I tend to buy from Lee Valley and from Richelieu, both of whom have good websites.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 6:18AM
kriesenbec
Thank you. I thought a light granite also. I just never liked the color of the cabinets with the tan flooring. I like the look of the cabinet just not the color so I'm trying to work with all of it. Thanks again.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 4:29PM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Gee, I really like the warm colour of the cabinets with your floor! Maybe you'll like it better when the granite's on--it will look all new to you. You're very welcome. I'm glad if I helped.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 4:32PM
smldesigns
Agree with previous suggestions. A beautiful very patterned lighter color granite will brighten your kitchen along with the subway tile. I would use either a black wrought iron knob or brushed nickel. Put them 4" from the bottom of the cabinet door.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 4:37PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I have the exact same cabinets in my new lake home that I'm building. Sorry you don't like the color but to each our own. I am using a white granite that has flakes of gray/silver/black and various other colors. Sorry I do not know the name of it though. I am not up north again until spring. These do however look really great together. I.m doing a glass tile back splash that are bars of white/gray/sliver it makes a great combination.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 4:43PM
kriesenbec
Thanks for your ideas. I think if I paint my kitchen walls a different color I will like the cabinet color much better. Right now it's a Benjamin Moore paint called cedar key.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 1:44AM