Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Outdoor lights and front of house
kriesenbec
January 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am having a hard time finding lights that I think would work well with exterior of the house. When we purchased it, I knew I wanted to change the more modern look so we replaced the front door and side panels with a wood look with wrought iron glass. Also, trying to decide what would spruce up the stucco front ... Iron window box, faux stone, etc.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MAlps
If your looking for a less modern look you can try lantern style
January 2, 2013 at 3:29AM     
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
The lights at your front door are far too small for the scale of the home and are installed about a foot too high. The lights at the garage are also too high but it doesn't look like there is much room to make them a lot larger. If you can, they need to be larger as well. The left side of the house needs landscaping.

Here is a neat modern light. http://www.build.com/troy-lighting-bl3401-ethos-8-led-15-high-ada-outdoor-wall-sconce/p2065530?source=gg-gba-pla_2065530____21988962199&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!!!43371270919!g!!21988962199&gclid=CKHOy_jMybQCFQSqnQodzngAgA
January 2, 2013 at 3:49AM     
kriesenbec
Thanks for the ideas. I agree the lights are too small. I'm trying to get away from a modern look though. I'm thinking of doing rubbed oil bronze or black lights but not sure what style. So you don't think I need to add any stone to front of house? Just change fixtures and do some landscaping?
January 2, 2013 at 4:00AM   
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I apologize, I misread the post to mean that you wanted to change to a more modern look not away from. There are just so many thousands of lights (and manufacturers) out there, it makes choosing difficult and it really is a matter of personal taste. You can really go to much larger lights. I would start by looking online to see what you like. I did a search here on Houzz and didn't see anything under products I would recommend.

I think the stone is not necessary at all. You have a beautiful home, landscaping on the left would make it look not so sparse.
January 2, 2013 at 7:18AM   
kriesenbec
Thank you. It's so nice that you took the time to search on Houzz too. I have a hard time making decisions on this house since it is more modern and I am more traditional. There are soooo many lights to choose from. I have to get on that task soon. Thanks again.
January 2, 2013 at 4:20PM   
abbshel
I think a pair of elongated iron and glass lights would look beautiful alongside your door. As another poster said, bring the lights down lower - maybe start the top of the light at the bottom of the transom window.
January 2, 2013 at 4:28PM   
smldesigns
Stucco is perfect as is. Agree with previous posters that you need larger lanterns. I would say the style that you have is Mission or Craftsman. I think you need something more traditional or old world. Bronze or black would stand out.. A little more green will soften the stucco. When you are choosing the lanterns, take a cue from the name. It will usually give you some idea of what style they are. Please post the results. Your home is adorable.
January 2, 2013 at 4:30PM   
kriesenbec
Thank you for all suggestions. If i suggested it, my husband wouldnt do it, but since you have suggested it, he is willing!! Ha! My husband is anxious for me to finish remodeling the lake house in time for the summer season. Thanks again.
January 2, 2013 at 4:40PM   
michellecanada
The door is very beautiful. Nice lanterns would be great. If you are trying to keep the costs down lowes has some great large latern style lights.
January 2, 2013 at 5:02PM   
Elyn's Library
Something like this echoes the curves around your new front door - this style is 25" long and this particular style looks like it's available in different sizes - http://www.destinationlighting.com/storeitem.jhtml?iid=P509755

this is a more traditional look - http://www.lampsplus.com/products/taylor-court-collection-28-and-three-quarter-inch-high-outdoor-wall-light__g3700.html

Even these may be too small. Check the measurements against your wall to see what size you need.
January 2, 2013 at 5:12PM   
kriesenbec
Thank you. I like both of them but I will have to check my backplanes to see which will fit.
January 3, 2013 at 1:33AM   
charlottegirl
So, first you have to make sure the light is going to not hang so high. Try Lantern & Scroll for light fixtures, I had a similar problem (too high lights) and they were able to make the back mounting plate of the light differently so that the fixture hung lower, but I didn't have to re-wire (saved $ from having to get the electrician to do that). Here are 2 that I was considering. You can find them at www.lanternandscroll.com or on Facebook. Cheers!
January 24, 2013 at 8:38PM   
charlottegirl
So, first you have to make sure the light is going to not hang so high. Try Lantern & Scroll for light fixtures, I had a similar problem (too high lights) and they were able to make the back mounting plate of the light differently so that the fixture hung lower, but I didn't have to re-wire (saved $ from having to get the electrician to do that). Here are 2 that I was considering. You can find them at www.lanternandscroll.com or on Facebook. Cheers!
January 24, 2013 at 8:40PM   
charlottegirl
sorry for the double post!
January 24, 2013 at 8:46PM