Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen to laundry room!
clarefoskett
January 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi!

We're doing some work on our house, and we are hoping to move our kitchen into the back room to make an open plan living space. We currently have a fairly small kitchen in its own room. We would like to convert the current kitchen into a laundry room and a toilet room (so we'd put a partition wall in to block off the toilet.) There is currently a doorway connecting the kitchen to the front room, which we plan to get blocked in, so we can choose where to put the door into the entrance hall. There is an external door leading into a side alley next to the house, so we'd ideally like to be able to bring the dogs in through this external door.

Our new laundry room would need a washer and drier (they could be on top of each other), a sink, some storage and a walled in toilet. I'm going round and round thinking of ways to plan the space, and was wondering if anyone has any ideas! All of the pipes for the washing machine, and plumbing for the sink are in the room already, and the upstairs toilet is directly above the room, so we hope the plumbing would be easy enough for that as well! Any ideas?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Do you have a lot of expertise in designing? I ask this because this is a complicated project and not inexpensive. You'll need permits and you'll need drawings to submit for these permits. You'll have to know local building codes and you'll also want to finish this to a high enough standard that it will enhance the value of your home rather than diminish it. I highly recommend that you bring in a professional to discuss your plans with and to consult with, and they can do your drawings for you.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 6:10AM
PRO
John Whipple - By Any Design ltd.
So many people look at plumbing changes as a massive problem. So many times it is not. Water runs down hill - that's pretty clear and not that hard to work out.

Your waste lines need to be set so they drop at about 1/4" per foot and all your fixtures need a vent. The vent is the part of the plumbing system that goes up and out of your house and removes the gas from the waste lines. The vent also allows air to flow into the lines making them work properly.

Bring in some ticket plumbers to work out the plan and give you a quote for this work.

Is there access below this room? Is the home built slab on grade?

Once you know the demolition costs and plumbing rough in costs the rest of the project is easier to estimate and price.

JW
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 6:18AM
clarefoskett
That's great! Thank you for your advice. We'll get some plumbers in to take a look-it all feels quite daunting. I'm not sure if there is access below the house- I'll have to double check. Thank you again for your help!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 8:47AM
tallyhill
Unless you need a lot of PRIVACY in that laundry toilet, may I suggest a POCKET DOOR for the WC? If you have a door from the laundry room to the living area already, the relative NOISE porosity of a pocket door is mitigated, and it saves you and IMMENSE amount of space---especially if you don't need a sink in there--you will use the laundry sink, I expect. Whatever your final layout, don't discount a high quality pocket door.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 10:44AM
clarefoskett
Thank you! I'll look into it, that sounds great!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 11:45AM
More Discussions
wood, wood, everywhere: am i getting closer?
last summer i went on a dining room decorating binge...
Living room Couch colors and ideas
The couch set in the picture we are getting rid of......
Need help with choosing what kind of stone to put behind wood stove.
We have a flat black wood stove on order for this corner....
Need a new plan thinking "open concept but not sure how"
our living room windows have a fantastic view of the...
Exterior Paint color suggestions please!
We are looking to give the exterior of our reno project...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.