Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
"Need help for my kitchen"
tamarb_pcsrcs
January 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
i want a wall of windows but that will cost a lot of money and construction. any ideas of what other kind of window i can put in kitchen to make the wall nicer?
also, how can i improve the overall appearance - streamline the room - new ceiling fixtures? new fixture over the island? what kind of floor? please see both sides of the kitchen. i a
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi tamarb-pcsrcs!
I'd first like to say that your kitchen is pretty gorgeous as is! The design is very traditional, maybe that's what you don't love? Are you looking to make it more modern? Or do you have another style in mind?
January 2, 2013 at 10:01AM     
tamarb_pcsrcs
i like traditional - i always dreamed of a kitchen with windows. i don't like the window that is there. i thought maybe you could suggest a new type of window? i don't like the cabinets - but if i can change just the doors on the upper cabinets that would be wonderful. I was thinking frosted glass inset in the cabinet - without the vertical and horizontal lines. or to put mirror in place of the glass in the cabinets. The cabinets are waring over the oven - they are peeling and it looks terrible. do you think i should send you a picture to understand what i mean. i also don't like the moveable kitchen island. my ceilling is popcorn paint and it needs a good cleaning. I also don't like the floor. an? i don't like the pots and pans- they look messy - any suggestions for that? thank you susan jablon mosaics
January 2, 2013 at 10:44AM   
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
I'm no window expert, but maybe you could replace the one you've got with an awning window? That way your view and light wouldn't be obstructed by any panes.

As for the cabinets, I personally really like them the way they are with the glass and the panes, but it's your kitchen. I would avoid mirror, though. Mirror is pretty modern, and wouldn't work too well with a more traditional design. Mirror is great, but can easily look tacky if done wrong. I think your idea of doing frosted glass without the panes is better, but once again, it's a pretty modern look. If you don't like the cabinets at all, you should consider painting or refinishing them in addition to changing the cabinet doors. A nice rich mahogany would be beautiful. Or you could do a glaze over the white paint to antique it a little. What kind of counters do you have?

As far as the cabinets above the range are concerned, if they are in rough shape, you shouldn't feel bad about ripping them out and replacing them. Maybe consider putting in a new hood that extends to the ceiling for an elegant look.

For the floors, do you like having tile, or would you considering doing wood?

The moveable island is easy to replace if you don't like the one you've got. The one pictured below is from home depot and has a much more traditional style.

Unfortunately, I don't see how you can have a pot rack and have it not look a little messy. I would replace that fixture with a new light, something like the one pictured below which matches your existing lights well.

Just some thoughts and ideas for you to work off of. Hope this helps you!
January 3, 2013 at 7:57AM   
tamarb_pcsrcs
you are so special - i really appreciate your input. my counter tops are green granite. i like the idea of looking at home depot for a kitchen island. I prefer white cabinets and since it is hard to match the whites - what do you think of a black island? can you tell me which one you would recommend. i want one with wheels and i think that i can add wheels to an length to an existing one - the length has to be 36 x 24 - or at least at that close range - any suggestions. i would like drawers and a place to display baskets
January 3, 2013 at 10:35AM   
tamarb_pcsrcs
oh - and what is an awning window? if it is the kind that juts out of the wall - i don't like that. do you think that i can put in a longer window on the space where the window is?
January 3, 2013 at 10:37AM   
hmschoolmom
What about adding a clerestory window, like a sidelight above the existing window but replacing it.

I like the idea of a black island, make it a little larger and you can store those pots and pans that are currently on your pot rack. Then just remove that item. You mentioned the popcorn ceiling. You can tone that down by scraping it. It's messy but if you spray it a bit and use a long handled scraper you can take most of the texture off without any expense other than repainting. I did that all over our 3000sq ft house.

Your cabinets are lovely! I think the idea of a new range hood and removing the cabinet w/damaged doors is awesome! If you remove all the knock knacks, you may feel differently about your pretty space. Take the curtained cart out and the things on the window sill and you will have a wonderful kitchen.
January 3, 2013 at 3:36PM     
hmschoolmom
You may also want to look into replacing those conical light fixtures with can lights. They will look amazing.
January 3, 2013 at 3:38PM     
2dogssashatess
I would have to get rid of that hanging pot rack it it were my kitchen and i would recess all those ceiling lights. for a cleaner look. I like your kitchen :)
January 3, 2013 at 4:01PM   
tamarb_pcsrcs
thank you so much. i thought the ceilings lights gave it personality. maybe not.
January 3, 2013 at 7:43PM   
tamarb_pcsrcs
can you show me an example of the window you mean - i am not sure what you mean by clerestory
January 3, 2013 at 7:46PM   
tamarb_pcsrcs
what are can lights? conical lights> and why don't you like the kniic knacks - does it make laroom messy? if i take away the desk what do replace it with - it is empty space- any suggestions?
January 3, 2013 at 7:55PM   
tamarb_pcsrcs
hi - haven't heard back fromyou. i am trying again. Why do you think that can lights would look AMAZAING. Any suggestions for what i can do over the window of my kitchen? should i put a shelf there? i need light also- a fixture or spots?
January 9, 2013 at 4:44AM