powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
60s stone fireplace - wondering how to best accessorize...any ideas?
trhodus
January 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We recently moved into a house built in 1963 - this fireplace is the focal point in our den/tv room. The stone has grown on me but I'm not sure how to accessorize it so it doesn't seem so huge. Any help is welcome. Thank you.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
apple_pie_order
This fireplace has a dominant presence, but you also have some good sized windows or doors next to it. Would you take some bigger photos and show all four walls of the room, please? How wide is the rock ledge midway up? Does the light over the fireplace work?
January 2, 2013 at 8:10am   
collettec
I know you have a stone ledge, and not sure how it's connected, but one possibility might be replacing that, if possible, with a more substantial and thicker mantel of wood that spans the width of the fireplace. Perhaps paint the adjoining walls a color closer to the fireplace color so not so dominant. Another possibility, use the ledge more as a shelf for vases or other objects.
January 2, 2013 at 8:16am   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
A large architectural piece above the fireplace would give it dimension. Something like an old wood carving panel. Possibly a piece from the exterior of the outside of an old building. Go to your local architectural antiques store and start shopping. You will find something interesting I'm sure.
January 2, 2013 at 8:26am   
trhodus
I attached images from the left and right sides of the room - opposite the fireplace is a small bar built in under the stairwell. I like the wood mantle idea - will look for something that may work. Thinking some window treatments on the fixed doors may help as well but not sure what to do there. The light above does work (once we replace the bulb:)). I appreciate your help!
January 2, 2013 at 8:29am   
PRO
Rachel Oliver Design, LLC
A rustic mantel made of reclaimed wood would really help ground that whole area. Here are a couple of photos:
Green Home Tour 2009, Medina Residence, Stone fireplace w/ timber mantle
You also might think about a large, colorful piece of pottery. That will add some spice. And just to add one more thing, you might think about some neutral window treatments to play off the texture of that rock to soften it a bit. Quick-Fix Living Room
January 2, 2013 at 8:48am     
decoenthusiaste
Suggest fabric romans on the windows.
January 2, 2013 at 8:58am   
houssaon
I love you home. I think drapery panels hung as high as you can on decorative traverse rods in a lushious soft print fabic would soften the look of the fireplace. Not in this color, but a print like this: Living Room. Even this geometric pattern is nice: Georgian Restoration. Nice wall color and I like the sun screen, too.

If you can hang a classic landscape painting I think that would look good as well. See: T.A. Wolfson Design. No need for a mantle.
January 2, 2013 at 9:00pm   
More Discussions
Help me bring our dining room to life!
We recently started working on our dining room and...
PAINT IT ALL WHITE?? Or paint bottom bricks light greige/taupe?
We have a small budget (2000) but really need to help...
Backsplash/countertop/cupboards
What should I do for a backsplash and should I leave...
Corian vs. Granite?
What are the pros & cons of Corian vs. Granite?
Need help decorating the Den/TV room
We are in the midst of TRYING to decorate this space....
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.