powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Love kitchen cabinets just not the color!
dconstantn
January 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just purchased a home that has been completely remodeled with brand new kitchen however not too crazy about the color of the cabinets and would like to paint them white and the walls gray. Is it possible to paint over the cabinets and still have that same brand new look ? Is this something I can do or have a professional painting company do?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Granite Grannies
Absolutely. There are lots of professionals who resurface, restain, and paint cabinets. I would recommend posting on the houzz discussion board to see if anyone in your area knows a good cabinet painter. If you're in the DC area, I can recommend several good ones.
January 2, 2013 at 9:31AM   
ckirbygagne
Personally, I'd live with the space until it "speaks" to you. But in the short term, consider painting the walls a contrasting color; it is easier than painting the cabinets!
PRO
Showcase Kitchens
You always get a better result using a professional.
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
While I have seen some nice DIY work here on Houzz, it is not the norm. We go into 5-10 homes a week and the DIY paint jobs are just not of good quality. I would hire a professional, even if it were my own kitchen and I'm a very picky painter. You can't reproduce what a professional can with a sprayer and lots of prep work. Your cabinets are nice, they should paint up well.
January 2, 2013 at 9:34AM     
wbarker111
Noting the cabinets have a traditional arch to them...Perhaps you might reverse them and you'll have a more contemporary look to them. ??
January 2, 2013 at 9:50AM   
PRO
Granite Grannies
I agree with Deborah, unless you have a lot of experience refinishing wood and painting, I would pay a professional. I'm painting my cabinets right now. I'm a licensed contractor with lots of experience painting interiors and exteriors and refinishing furniture. Yet, painting my cabinets has been a lot of work and I've had to sand them down and restart a couple times to get the right effect. I don't think I would have been able to get it right if I'd painted them after they were in. I got mine at an auction so I've been experimenting with them .on a big tarp in my barn.
January 2, 2013 at 9:54AM     
mpoulsom
Paint the walls a medium to dark gray first and live with it for a bit....you may grow to like the cabs a little more. If after that, you still do not like them, I would have a professional paint them for you. Paint a dark gray on the bottom cabinets and an off-white on the uppers. OR off white cabinets with the island in a dark gray!
January 2, 2013 at 10:04AM     
sharleeg
I think with the very warm brown floor tile you would need to do more creamy color on cabs, not white. I would then do the island a contrast, maybe a deep espresso
or a deep gray with warm undertones( if there is some gray in that floor tile.. hard to tell) then, a backsplash ( nothing too busy) that helps to tie in the gray tones you want to pull out of the granite, along with the warm browns in floor.Perhaps an opaque taupey gray/brown glass. After those changes, the wall color can be chosen. Great space! Best of luck!
January 2, 2013 at 11:03AM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Have a pro paint them and insist that the doors be taken off site and sprayed. The finish will look new and stay that way longer. Brushed or roller painted doors don't look as good and tend to chip easier.
January 2, 2013 at 11:15AM     
Grace Reed
I agree 100% with the prior comment. And, I think painting the island in a contrasting color would be nice since you have a lot of cabinets. Also, there is a lot of space between the sink and cabinet above. A shelf or something decorative would look nice.
January 2, 2013 at 11:36AM     
dconstantn
Wow, thank you all for your comments - very helpful!!! Happy New Year!
January 2, 2013 at 1:15PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.