Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Great room wall
pnelson80517
January 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Need NON-traditional ideas for large great room wall with cathedral ceiling. Would like varying heights and depths, an symmetrical design of wood (dark?) or metal. Open to building it, placing pieces side-by-side, antiques, whatever is interesting. Flat screen will be incorporated--would like it hidden if possible. NOT keen on lots of bric-a-brac on open shelves. What cool ideas do you have or have seen?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
onthefence
Long ago on one of the hundreds of home improvement shows, I saw someone (Amy Wynn perhaps?) build a large hanging shelf. The best way I can describe it was sort of a Greek Key design - but not exact. I recall the openings were very random in size and the unit had to be bolted to the wall. I'm thinking something like that would allow for the incorporation of your TV into the general design AND allow you some space for some display - if you wanted it. Because the unit was so striking on it's own though, it didn't require a lot of display.

Another (from Trading Spaces I think) was a wall that they covered in metal and applied a rust treatment. The colors were amazing. Probably not easy to hide a flat screen in that though.
January 2, 2013 at 10:13am   
pnelson80517
Thank you. Wish you had a photo because I can't visualize the first idea. Am thinking that maybe larger pieces would work. They don't have to matchy-matchy but they should go together.
January 2, 2013 at 7:17pm   
tennisanyone
Center the tv on the wall and remove those two shelves with all the pictures. A picture of the whole room would help.
January 2, 2013 at 7:22pm   
groveraxle
Non- traditional? No problem.

January 2, 2013 at 7:25pm   
groveraxle
Interesting color and art collection.

January 2, 2013 at 7:28pm   
Elyn's Library
First thought that came to mind - decals.

Lots to choose from here on houzz (and elsewhere - try eBay and Etsy)
http://www.houzz.com/wall-decal

January 2, 2013 at 7:33pm   
onthefence
pnelson, I'll keep searching. The more I think of it, the more striking I recall it being. I'd like to see it again myself!
January 2, 2013 at 9:06pm   
GizV
I remember the episode with the interesting wall storage. I found this one on Houzz. It will give you an idea of what it can be.
January 2, 2013 at 9:37pm   
onthefence
OK, this isn't the one -- but the concept is a bit similar. You could pretty much do any shapes you wanted to conform to what you wanted to display. If you google tetris shelving you'll see a lot of different ideas.
http://www.bravespacedesign.com/product_bamboo_stagger.php
January 2, 2013 at 9:39pm   
onthefence
GizV - how funny! We're obviously thinking of the same Trading Spaces unit. Wish I could find a pic of the darn thing. My link goes to the same line of furniture you linked!
January 2, 2013 at 9:41pm   
GizV
Being a bit obsessive, I had to find some additional inspiration for you. It will be interesting to see what you end up doing.
January 2, 2013 at 9:50pm   
GizV
Here's the picture from bravespacedesign.com onthefence suggested.
January 2, 2013 at 9:52pm   
onthefence
Thanks Giz.

Here's another from here on Houzz. Looks more traditional at first glance - but easily adaptable to your needs.

January 2, 2013 at 9:59pm     
Eileen
How about wallpaper with a large pattern? The bonus is no shelves to dust! TV centered below peak above a long console.
January 2, 2013 at 10:29pm   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.