Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Curtain option with least stack
maretmaret
January 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just added 16 feet of ceiling to floor windows (two 8 ft sliding doors with windows above) We need to add drapes, but want the least amount of stack when opened. We are interested in a ceiling track. What is my best option?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
AMBIT Architecture
i would use a ripple fold curtain track. it makes the fold in a very regular, predictable, linear fold as opposed to a rod that essentially just bunches up the fabric when gathered. You can control the amount of folds and how deep as well with a ripple fold track depending on how far away you set it from the window wall. Along with the ripple fold, you can have the drapes pleated...although when this is done, you need a thicker material to hold the pleat.... if you want the least amount of material gathered, then obviously use thinner material and perhaps a deeper fold....together, it will look neat and "manicured"... good luck!
January 2, 2013 at 11:41am     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
For the Drapery i would recommend going with something called Grommet Drapery . I have used this type of curtain many times in this situation. It goes on a thin drapery rod which can fit just above your window frame.The stack on the drapery should barely cover any windows when opened all the way.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/grommet-drapery.html
January 2, 2013 at 11:53am   
PRO
Cabell Design Studio
Hello maretmaret,

And Happy New Year! I am in total agreement with AMBIT on the ripple fold curtain track, but would look into the ceiling track idea you have as well. There are plenty of light weight fabrics around that will provide privacy when closed and when placed in a grommeted drape will fold up rather tightly.

You may also think of a rolling top to bottom shade which could nest just inside a valence at the top of the upper window.

Examples from Houzz to inspire you below:

Insolroll Interior Solar Shade

Delia Shades' Custom Solar Shades in "Italian Arabesque" pattern

Sylvia Martin

Living Room

Best of luck with your decorating and please let us know if we can be of any assistance,

Cabell Design Studio
January 2, 2013 at 11:56am     
PRO
PLATEMARK DESIGN
Aesthetically: ripplefold but logistically for stackback: grommet (but not with a ceiling track). Based on the space, I would go for ripple fold.
January 2, 2013 at 12:40pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
If you can live without leaving it bare is best.
January 2, 2013 at 12:44pm   
applecider1111
how about this for your drapes?
January 2, 2013 at 12:46pm   
More Discussions
Moroccan lighting motifs.
Pick your fav Moroccan lighting motif design!
Design gurus needed! Extend and remodel my ground floor please
We are planning a large double storey extension at...
Mdwest native plant for dry areas
This Thursday’s featured native plant is Hoary Vervain,...
Small balcony and patio design help needed
Hi - My apartment overlooks a wonderful communal garden...
Window treatments for arched windows
Wondering if I should add panels to these windows or...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.