Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Accessorizing console table and side tables
Anna Gaglia
January 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am looking to change the accessories on the side tables and console tables. What should I change? Want to start fresh, but want to keep lamps and artwork.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sharleeg
the room seems bare to me without an area rug. Will you be adding one? If so, the colors in that would dictate what type of accessories to use.
3 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 10:49AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I like the pictures but clear glass on glass gets lost. If you did a colorful hand blown glass piece this would add interest. Groupings of three different size things put to one side always looks good. You can balance the other with one larger piece like a lamp.
2 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 11:12AM
Anna Gaglia
I am not adding an area rug at this point because I will be buying new sofa and 2 chairs. I would like to work with the colors I have now which include soft creams and some red with turquoise. I am just stuck with arranging accessories because the tables are glass. Maybe some pics of items would help.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 11:24AM
sharleeg
well, in that case, if this is more of a temporary fix ( as you will undoubtedly change the accessories to work with new furnishings and rug) , I agree with International Int that the glass on glass is getting it washed out. Try putting some colorful balls in the glass bowl on the coffee table and maybe change out the ivory flowers for something with more color.You could add /change pillows as an inexpensive fix too as you wait for your new furniture in time.It is all very ivory and clear now. Cheap accessories can warm it up!Go to your local hobby/pottery store and find some items that speak to you. Best of luck!
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 12:27PM
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I would suggest waiting until you have purchased new furniture. Otherwise it's a temporary (and costly) fix.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 12:32PM
stefspad
I don't think you have to wait for new furniture. I'd replace the glass bowl on glass coffee table with a largish tray, and put some good-looking books and a floral arrangement or a pretty piece of pottery on it. You've got the elements of water (the glass top), metal (legs of table), wood (floor), so you need some fire and earth (according to feng shui principles). Fire can be a color like orange or red and/or pottery, and earth can be represented by pottery and/or the books. Try to apply these same principles to the console table and you'll be in business!
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 12:53PM
stefspad
Just checked a couple of feng shui books and it turns out that leather (and other animal products like wool) represent the fire element, so you're loaded with that for the moment. So I'd concentrate on adding the earth element mostly: pottery, marble, porcelain (crystal, too, but you've got enough see-through stuff). I remember reading somewhere that books also represent the earth element, so there you go!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 1:25PM
abbshel
It seems you need some color. Perhaps a terrarium on the coffee table would add color and interest. Maybe set it on top of a book and then add a candle or a couple of ceramic or iron birds (or whatever your interest is) on the other end of the table.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 3:17PM
anitajoyce
You could replace th glass bowl on the table with a small houseplant and a big coffee table book. Remove the other flowers on the other tables and add a small plant there also. I would also add a nice rug under the coffee table to pull the room together.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 3:30PM
PRO
OasisDesign&Remodeling
Waaaaay too much glass. You need some warm textures. Baskets, books, rough textured ceramics. Under the console, I would do a very textured basket from Michael's filled with magazines or a live plant. On the cocktail table, think "heaven, Man & earth". Heaven is the tallest object, perhaps a ceramic vase. "Man" is the next tallest object, maybe a clock. Then for "Earth", perhaps a couple antique leather bound books laid on their side. When you place them, make sure they are close enough to have some relation to each other, almost as if they are one unit. You can find all these items at Goodwill or Salvation Army. Vintage things give the area character & interest. You have the right idea on the console table, but the vase with the flowers needs texture, as does the candy dish. Always remember to mix your mediums & keep "Heaven, Man & Earth" in mind.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 5:43PM
PRO
OasisDesign&Remodeling
P.S. Take one item off the end table...your lamp is Heaven. Keep accessories in uneven numbers.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 5:44PM
Darzy
I think silver candlesticks, a couple of books with a crystal ball and a small vase of fresh flowers for the coffee table. I think toss pillows in a bold and brighter print with texture would freshen the room up as well. Here is a great pillow from Pier 1 that is textural and has all the colors you mentioned are in your room. I just saw a photo that is similar to the the accessories I was thinking of! http://www.pier1.com/Oblong-Teal-Print-Pillow/2484780,default,pd.html?cgid=embroidered_pillows

1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 6:21PM
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
I think Darzy's recommendation would compliment the glass tables. When you do replace the sofa and chair I would consider natural linen or a lighter shade of fabric instead of dark leather. The large scaled leather sofa and chair overpowers the light glass and iron tables and decorative pillows always slide off leather furniture. The glass tables will eventually show themselves better on a patterned area rug than a wood floor. Try live white orchids in a pretty container for the sofa side table. For the console table on the landing I would move the lamp to the opposite end of the table, replace the pink bouquet with a low glass cylinder vase with white roses or hydrangeas, and a stack of books. Hang the pictures on a wall.
3 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 8:11PM
dreed0
I transformed my clear glass tables with a DIY faux mercury glass treatment by spraying the undersides with mirror paint and then with a coat of bronze. My crystal accessories don't get lost now and the tables have a new updated look. I practiced first on a couple of small pieces first, and this might be an inexpensive option to replacing your accessories. Here is a link to a tutorial. http://www.aprilmoffattdesign.com/sewing-tutorials/mercury-glass-tutorial/
2 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 6:26AM
Diamondflame
Some pops of color will help take the eyes away from the heavy brooding presence of the dark sofa. Keep the lamps but change the lampshade to a color of choice. Teal against dark brown is almost classic. Try it on lamp shades and throw cushions, with ceramic pieces or small sculptures in similar tone on the console/coffee table. A small pile of books, a big piece of coral or a terrarium make handy accessories. I agree with having an area rug to anchor the 'floating glass table' and offer a counterweight to the heavy sofa. Alternatively lighten up the sofa with throws in neutral tones.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 6:30AM
andrew919
怎么下载这里的图片?
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 8:24AM
Gina Watson
Why not just wait until you get your new furnishings.? It might be waste of money and time
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 7:54PM
PRO
Furnished Up Fine Furniture and Home Decor
I would also suggest waiting until you already have the new couch, you might end up spending a lot if it ends up that the new console and side tables don't match your new couch. Do you already have an idea of what couch and chairs you are going to replace those with?
0 Likes   August 4, 2014 at 11:20AM