Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with kitchen sink decision
theheartmom2
January 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I want an apron farmhouse style sink for my new (under-construction) home. What do you know about fire-clay sinks? Are they durable? I love the look but should I be concerned about maintenance?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
kcmom01
I had fire-clay sinks in both old home and never liked them. Also, they chip easily. You dropp the pan and that is it. We bought a new composite single basin sink and just love it. You can soak all of your big pans and pots and wash them without splattering water arround. I clean it with dish detergent and warm water. We'll never go back to clay/metal, etc.
January 2, 2013 at 11:00am     
shannonc0202
I love them also but don't know much about them. When we were remodeling there was something else I considered, concrete. It is simply amazing what they can do. I have a friend who does this and the artistic appeal is amazing! One that he showed me, he had even created an ever-flowing water fall. They are actually not super expensive but incredibly impressive.
January 2, 2013 at 11:04am     
Grace Reed
There is a fantastic Ideabook and thread on concrete countertops. Everyone should read it when considering concrete. I love it but reluctantly decided it wasn't for me.
January 2, 2013 at 11:23am     
PRO
C Wright Design
Hi there! There is nothing quite like the look of an apron farmhouse sink in the right style Kitchen! Our only caveat is that the most common single bowl style has a flat bottom so that water does not drain well. You need to use a sprayer or brush to clear the sink of food and liquids so it takes a bit of doing to keep the sink looking clean. Some of our clients love them anyway, others opt for a sink with a better slope to the drain. It really is a personal decision but worth taking a look at this issue. Good luck!
January 2, 2013 at 11:33am     
theheartmom2
Thanks. I appreciate the advice and help with this. I don't know anything about the fireclay, but my decorator has suggested it. I am really really really into NO to Low maintenance as I've got a big busy family to love on instead. this is helpful.
January 3, 2013 at 2:18pm   
Grace Reed
I have a Kohler cast iron sink which I like a lot, but, the next one will be a good 18 or 16 gauge stainless steel. No maintenance for me, either. And, farmhouse/apron front sinks are made in stainless steel, too.
January 3, 2013 at 2:45pm     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I have the same concerns that is why I like this stainless steel one.
January 3, 2013 at 2:54pm   
theheartmom2
Thanks Grace Reed. That's the decision I have come to also. I am huge into no or little maintenance and I think the SS is the answer. Appreciate everyone's help.
January 9, 2013 at 6:06pm   
favoritegram
I have had a villeroy and boch fire lay sink for 5years since our kitchen was remodeled and love it. No problems at all and it gets used tons As we love to entertain Lainey
January 9, 2013 at 6:56pm