powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Our home in AZ has open space above the kitchen cabinets, need some ideas.
cindydoug
January 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The space in the middle is 18" x 48". I left some Xmas greens up on the sides. The granite counter top is a very dark green
With a fleck pattern.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
AMBIT Architecture
Great place for kitchen books with cool cover jackets, colorful big bowls, a wine rack, or just some decorative elements that show off your personality. One of our grandmothers would have proudly displayed her teapot collection up there with aplomb!
(You could even make a decorative fabric screen held in place with spring loaded rods to hide some of your less used but nor as pretty kitchen gear. )
January 2, 2013 at 11:02AM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I do like the way they did these. The stair step idea is really neat. I would do some storage baskets in one. Then shelf scape the others with things that you like. If you can get lighting in them that would be outstanding.
January 2, 2013 at 11:03AM     
sharleeg
large, colorful bowls or pottery., baskets. Don't clutter it up though with lots of small things. Use large, group of three would look good. No greenery,fake plants- looks so 80's. You could put any large serving platters up there, the kind that never fit anywhere else in a cab space.Nice!
January 2, 2013 at 11:22AM     
Grace Reed
I would use things that would create a cohesive look with the cabinets, countertops and the rest of the space.
January 2, 2013 at 11:28AM   
PRO
Stoneshop
I like Interiors International's idea of using baskets in one or a couple of them. This way you can store things neatly and uncluttered, as well as access items simply by pulling out the basket. My other suggestion would be to place large decorative vases or bowls in the same color or color family (3 items, max).

You do not want to place too many items in these alcoves, or even necessarily use all of the spaces. Too many items will make your kitchen look cluttered QUICKLY. Do not go overboard.
January 2, 2013 at 1:30PM   
claudiann
Anything in the kitchen gets so grimy and dusty that personally if I would look at a space like that I would think "dust collector." I wouldn't put anything up there that wasn't easily cleaned or in a container. One exception might be pretty pottery plates on little easels that I could pop in the dishwasher. Walmart has clear glass canisters with lids. They come in all sizes. Maybe using those to store something in might work. Again you could put them in the dishwasher. I have my cookie cutters stored in one. You could store beans, rice, pasta etc.
January 2, 2013 at 3:28PM     
PRO
ATGStores.com
Hi, Cindy. We're guessing the area is a bit high to access comfortably without help, so we thought it would be cute if you found a neat little step stool that you could store up there in part of the space; then you'd have a convenient step that could make the space actually usable rather than just decorative. It'd also be a great conversation piece when not in use. Good luck and have fun!
January 2, 2013 at 3:42PM   
PRO
Anjum Razvi, ASID - Razvi Design Studio
I think I would feature a colorful canvas art piece on the face of the middle one. It would be attached to the face at the bottom and "float" above. Unexpected and fun. A stretched canvas would be light enough to do this. Then I would do the 3some groupings mentioned above in the two side openings. Something color coordinated with the art and large in scale. Maybe a platter, a vase and a box? Make sure they are forward in the alcoves...it looks a bit deep. Another idea is to use the large letters you can purchase and paint. "LIVE" 'LOVE" "LAUGH" or something more current.
January 2, 2013 at 3:47PM     
wmpj
Are you able to reach the back wall of each nook? It may look nice if they were painted an accent color. Just the back wall not the entire nook.
January 2, 2013 at 3:55PM   
PRO
Wow! I Love It! Interior Design
I would paint the back of the insets an accent color and then follow the advice above using very simple decor.
January 2, 2013 at 4:15PM     
PRO
NewAir
What a fun space to play with! I wouldn't store wine or consumables up there, though - there's a lot of heat in a kitchen, and it all rises up so any food or beverages won't keep as long up there. I like what you've done with the Christmas greens - festive and natural. I'd probably build on that idea, with a collection of natural items, baskets, maybe a vase or too.
January 4, 2013 at 9:39AM