Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Cheap looking fireplace in $1mil+ home
Tucker
January 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Would like some ideas for this fireplace. High end home with fireplace that doesn't fit the part. All ideas welcomed
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
doggieg
How about a complete mantle frame instead of the top only? Also a mirror might add elegance instead of the decor used.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 11:37AM
mpoulsom
I would tile or add stone to the whole front of that fireplace wall first of all and add a different mantel or expand on that one somehow. I would also remove the tables you have on either side and add built-in shelving and cabinets into those areas.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 11:43AM
mirage1051
I think a fireplace is always a great focal point of the room, it should be inviting and eye catching! I liked the idea of surrounding, but keep the existing tile it is really lovely, maybe something like this... black might be bold, but have it make a statement!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 11:47AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
You are so right this does not look as though it is in a high-end home. Here are a few great looking fireplaces that could be modified to fit your needs.

Family Room 1
While at CHil Design Group
St Clements Great Room
jamesthomas, LLC
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 11:53AM
PRO
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
I'd suggest talking to a local fireplace expert to find out what you can do about the fireplace itself first. You can find one here: http://www.hpba.org/retailer-locator

I DO NOT recommend doing anything to a cheap "builder" model fireplace to make it look better. It's like putting lipstick on a pig.

Your options are almost endless.

Speaking of cheap fireplaces in nice houses, here's a little "before" and "after" for you.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 12:13PM
stefspad
First thing I'd do is get rid of that mantel. It's much too small for the wall. Ditto the white trim at the bottom of the wall. Or paint both to match wall to make them disappear. That's the least expensive step. Then, if you insist on having a mantel, install one that's big enough to compete with the shelves on either side of fireplace. And I'd either add more of the same tiles to enhance the size or change them, but either way you need to make more of a "statement."
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 12:41PM
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
This is a great spot for a custom built in....versus placing pieces of furniture. Look up some picture of built ins to get an idea for storage, and also look up fireplaces...make this grand!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 12:49PM
missangel99
You could have a limestone fireplace instead if this. Check it out it would be very grand and beautiful.
2 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 1:09PM
michigammemom
I agree that the minimal mantle and tile surround do not reflect a high end home. I would suggest some custom millwork to dress up the entire fireplace as well as built-ins for the niche areas. Here's an example of a gorgeous fireplace and out of the ordinary blue cabinetry.
2 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 1:17PM
mmilos
^ I agree with the above but I think more of the problem is with the cheesy arch, recessed light boxes and overly formal mirrored consoles and lamps versus the lack of ornamentation on the fireplace.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 1:23PM
PRO
cruz interiors inc
Why oh why do they do this to us? Wonderful homes that lack the finishes they deserve? Ok for this soon to be fabulous focal point I would suggest creating a built in appearance. Any good carpenter could create bookshelves in the nooks that flank the fireplace and face it with a hefty trim and casing and some nice crown molding on the top. A thick casing could be used to flank the actual fireplace as well. Something like this/ or this sketch, but with a fireplace centrally located.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 1:46PM
PRO
Linda
When I look at the thumbnail on the main discussion page, the ultra white stripe across the center of the picture really jumps out at me. The bright white of the trim work accentuates the mantle and baseboard which does nothing for the room.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 1:49PM
PRO
CJ's Home Decor & Fireplaces
There's all sorts of ways to decorate a fireplace. If you want some ideas for mantels, visit www.mantelworld.com - we have full mantels and fireplace cabinets of all sorts of colors and materials. Or add some stone at www.veneerstoneonline.com.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 2:00PM
Norma Sassone
I like the idea of a high end marble fireplace mantel and surround or it even could go all the way up to the cieling. Rich cherry, mahogany, or white to match wall trim custom made bookshelves in the side nooks with antique books, ceramics, black and white family photos ( but only 2 or three)
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 2:11PM
Norma Sassone
PS also think your chairs and sofa are too far away from the fireplace. Snuggle them in a bit. :-)
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 2:13PM
PRO
Regency Fireplace Products
We agree with Coastroad Hearth and Patio, the cheap firebox has to go. Replace with a nice gas fireplace with stacked stone or a cast mantel.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 3:40PM
candjak
I agree with all above who said to lose the side furniture and go with built-ins. Lots of good ideas above, you just need to decide on style and how much, if any of the built-ins should be open/closed. With your wide sides, you might as well have some closed spaces, it would make great storage for seasonal items. I'm enclosing a more modern fireplace face to throw into the mix. This one is elegant in its simplicity, using slate and a natural wood finish. Obviously your ceiling line will be different, but you get the idea.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 5:24PM
More Discussions
Need help picking out an area rug for den.
I would like advice in picking an area rug for my den....
Natural paint colors
What would be a good color to paint kitchen? Whole...
Color Scheme Advice
I have a dining room with warm orange walls called...
Built in cabinets
We have this built in. The counter hight is 11 inches...
What to place??
Hello fellow Houzz-ians, So my family and I have been...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.