Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with my kitchen
pattyparrucci
January 2, 2013 in Polls
Our 1904 farmhouse needs a little sprucing up. I was thinking of painting the cabinets white or cream. Would like to use white subway tile for the backsplash. Any ideas or suggestions. I would also like to replace the countertops. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We would like to stay true to the farm house heritage.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jilly1022
Hmm! Seem great to me! I love the idea of wooden walls! And your cabinets are nice but maybe make them a solid color instead of light with a dark trim. Just my opinion:)
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 12:03PM
mpoulsom
Why don't you paint the cabinets something other than white....maybe a grayish blue or a sage green?
5 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 12:05PM
mpoulsom
And I also think a large (18x18 or 24x24) diagonal checkerboard floor would be fun in there. Doesn't have to black and white. Can be wood stained color and another color of your choice. I used to have a black and tan (stained wood) checkerboard floor and loved it. I think the pieces were 24x24. Looked great!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 12:08PM
pattyparrucci
I do like the idea of painting a bluish color. You may have noticed that the old window is actually painted a colonial blue. Thanks.
2 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 12:08PM
PRO
Monique Jacqueline Design
Hello!

Love the feel, I think that a cream colored cabinet or possibly a very light grey blue could be beautiful as your cabinetry color. I think that eliminated the two tone of the cabinetry will make the space less busy. I would not go too dark in cabinetry color because your paneling is on the darker side. You want to keep the farm style feel, but also keep the space feeling light and airy.

The white subway would be beautiful with the grey blue cabinetry or the cream cabinetry.

Also, might I add cabinetry hardware would add a sparkle as well!
Any other questions, let us know!
Cheers!
m.
2 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 12:21PM
mpoulsom
patti...you should paint the bottom cabs blue then, and creamy white on top! My monitor is a little off color-wise sometimes and it looked almost green to me. Also found some fun painted floors as an option perhaps...
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 12:49PM
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Great replies! I agree that painting the cabinets would look great. Personally, I, too, would like a color. A blue-green looks beautiful with pine, and will really make it stand out. I also think that your kitchen is big enough to use a different color on the little island. How about a blue-green on the perimeter, and a blue to match the window on the island? Light countertops on all would pull it together (do the counters match the floor? I can't quite tell. Just make sure that whatever colors you select work well with any existing materials that you are keeping) Benjamin Moore carries a product called Cabinetcoat - similar to the Rustoleum product, but you can select any BM color.

Also, as others have said, getting rid of the two-tone finish on the cabinets will really unclutter the room visually. One other idea would be to make a tighter arrangement of your wall accessories on the larger wall above the range, or to simplify what you hang there (a set of prints, a set of mold, etc). I wouldn't put anything above the window - let the window speak for itself. This will allow you to retain that warm, farmhouse feel, but without as much happening visually.

For some reason, these didn't save correctly to my computer, but check out these Benjamin Moore Colors (in the gray blues and greens) : Holiday Wreath, Martha's Vineyard, Newburg Green, Peale Green and Vermont Slate.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 12:50PM
mpoulsom
I just found something very interesting, if you didn't want to paint your floors...use linoleum squares and do a fun pattern with your newly painted cabinets! But paint first, then do the floors last! :)

[houzz=
]
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 1:36PM
Cindy Denny
With the 100+ history of this kitchen, (IMHO), I'd stay away from WHITE/BLACK combos. Maybe go with the cream or sage others have mentioned here, or, wow, maybe consider incorporating copper? It just seems that white would compete with the warmth your space already conveys. Okay, except for the sink... a nice white (or what about copper!?) 'apron-type' sink could work beautifully! Or, a white sink with copper-style backsplash? I attached a couple of pics (1, 2) that might help.

Countertops? Ya know, if you're the kinda person who has a 'wild streak,' in ya--even every once-in-a-while--ceramic tile that LOOKS like rustic wood might be the show-stopper conversation piece you need (it would be way so much fun) in your space! I just found the included pic (3), and I LOVE the 'wooded' look! If you keep the cabinets dark though, I'd go with a lighter 'wood' countertop, and vice versa...

BUT, if I may step, momentarily, outside the bounds of your original question, ;-) first thing I would do would be replace the overhead light... there are some bee-u-ti-ful (affordable) fixtures that would hold on to the vintage feel of a lived-in farmhouse, while easily providing for the more sophisticated needs of today's busy families. The current fixture seems a bit busy and feels more "rustic cowboy" to me than charming, historic, farmhouse, pic (4). Strategically placed 'vintage' pendants or 'in-the-ceiling" lights are other thoughts.

Disclaimer... this is the first time I’ve tried to attach pics, sorry if they fai!

Good luck, have fun!!!
2 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 2:37PM
Cindy Denny
oops, only four images can be attached at one time... I wanted to stick this last pic in to show the pendant lighting and in-ceiling lighting idea I suggested... and quite interestingly, I found an image that seems similar to what your kitchen might look like after the subway backsplash and new countertops you said you were considering. The only obvious diff is the cabinets, but, otherwise... I thought you might like to take a look at it. Cheers!
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 2:58PM
Norma Sassone
Lots of good suggestions here. I like the white or off white idea for the cabinets. I think subway tile is getting a bit overdone and glass tiles are so beautiful and have depth. Blue would be great with one of the zig zag painted floors above :-) A grey quartz counter top because it wears much better than granite or marble and does not stain.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 3:12PM
Norma Sassone
Of course knobs are a matter of taste but these are so pretty.
2 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 3:14PM
anitajoyce
Yes! Paint the whole room, cabinets and walls in white or cream for a nice updated look. Brushed nickel hardware on the cabinets would be nice also. You could paint the island a nice accent color.also.
2 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 3:20PM
pattyparrucci
Wow! I am so thankful for all of your insights. It really helps to have other eyes since I look at it every day. I think I will go with the cream and sage combo. I also saw a picture of what looked like a painted tin ceiling. Budget wise, I won't be changing the flooring. Luckily, it's pretty neutral. I love the idea of the apron sink!!!
Thanks again for all the great ideas.
Patty
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 4:34AM
pattyparrucci
Wow! I am so thankful for all of your insights. It really helps to have other eyes since I look at it every day. I think I will go with the cream and sage combo. I also saw a picture of what looked like a painted tin ceiling. Budget wise, I won't be changing the flooring. Luckily, it's pretty neutral. I love the idea of the apron sink!!!
Thanks again for all the great ideas.
Patty
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 4:35AM
curraghgirl
Honed black granite countertops would look really good with white cabinets, subway tiles and apron front sink - if you do a different color on the island butcher block or carrera marble top would be nice on that. Good luck.
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 4:53AM
Micki Samson
If it were me, I would not paint the cabinets or wood paneling unless there was something wrong with them. Your cabinets seem to be in very good shape. Instead, I would change the floor and the countertops....just don't know what to change them to. Lol. I think your kitchen is charming!
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 5:03AM
PRO
Shanghai Linfeng Parquet CO.,LTD
For the countertops,how about the bamboo countertops,you may check the pictures,is it OK ?
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 6:11AM
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Patty: An apron (a.k.a. farmhouse)sink needs support from below. You can probably have your sink cabinet modified for this, but I just wanted to let you know that Kohler now makes one specifically for retro-fit situations, such as yours.
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 8:39AM
PRO
On the Spot Furniture Revival llc
My two cents regarding the farm house sink....any client I've had that has one, hates it. For some reason, the homes that have that type of sink experience a lot of water damage to the sink cabinet. I'm not sure why....
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 9:16AM
curraghgirl
I shared some pictures from my idea book on Houzz - hope you can see them
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 9:45AM
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
@OntheSpot: The biggest complaint I have had from clients is that because most of the sinks are fireclay, they are very worried about breakage. I also think that, over time, you will see wear on the front edge where people stand all the time. They do come in st.st., of course, but this kind of fights the style, in my opinion. I think copper would be a better bet (especially in this kitchen). I think they look very nice but are not the most practical.

As far as damage to the cabinet, even if the sink is undermount, with an apron front you will have the lip of the sink lower than the countertop. Water can drip onto this, run down the front and cause damage. Even a small amount of "drip" over time can cause damage
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 11:47AM
PRO
Monique Jacqueline Design
I have installed numerous apron front sink and have never heard a complaint. I had a farm style sink in my last home and would have another in a heartbeat! I loved my. The secret is making sure that you get a deeper sink and I think 33" to 36" are best. It is fantastic for serving dishes, larger pots, you have no divide hindering your movement or size of dishes! I use a lot of Rohl and Porcher and haven't had any problems with chipping, ever. I tend to steer away from copper kitchen sinks. Copper tends to be a very soft metal. I use them in areas that do not take as much wear and tear.
Cheers!
m.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 11:54AM
sonriewife
Norma Sassone ,where did you find these pulls>
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 11:54AM
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
A very recent client installed a Rohl and it cracked after less than a year. It was a stress crack, not from dropping something. I have to say, however, that Rohl has stood behind the product and is even paying for the re-installation.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 12:00PM