Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Curb Appeal Help
trhodus
January 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are planning to install new windows and to paint the siding and trim - any thoughts on how to best work with the stone? Specific paint colors or schemes would be appreciated. Landscaping overhaul will be in the spring. Thanks for any ideas you may have!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Monique Jacqueline Design
Is there anyway to post another photo? I can not zoom, so I can not see the stone detail. If you would like to email me a photo, that would be fine too!
moniqueflesher@gmail.com

Cheers!
m.
January 2, 2013 at 12:38pm   
mmilos
Since your roof is charcoal gray and your stone is beige, I'd go for a slightly warmer and darker beige on the siding and a cream/linen white color for the windows and trim.
January 2, 2013 at 12:39pm   
trhodus
Here is the stone detail - thanks.
January 2, 2013 at 12:41pm   
mmilos
Light gray blue color would also look nice and enhance your stone.
January 2, 2013 at 1:20pm     
PRO
Monique Jacqueline Design
Hello!
Thanks!
You could do white moullions and casings around the windows with a very light blue/grey tone on the siding! This would compliment your roof tone and would probably lighten the stone feel. I think that the white around the windows would really open up feel. On the 2nd level you could add shutters in a darker blue tone that is pulled from the siding undertones!
If you do not like blues, what colors do you like? You could go into the soft green tones as well, still keeping the white around the windows!
Cheers!
m.
January 2, 2013 at 1:36pm     
PRO
sharleeg
lovely home! I can see it going very tonal with taupey grays. Here is a possible palette to look at, but you should get a fan at paint store and try at least 3 things before you commit!Remember, we can't see the exact shades and tones and these are only reasonable guess/suggestions:)
Because I happen to have a Sherwin Williams fan right beside me, here are some choices from that;

siding SW 6073 Perfect Griege with Popular Beige trim SW6071
or if that's too dark for you maybe SW 6079 Diverse Beige for siding and Toque White for trim 7003.
I love the idea of doing the entry timbers and the corbels in a deeper gray for a contrast, such as 6074 Spalding Gray.
I can't see your door but depending what you've got, it could be an accent of color, perhaps blue or green/gray tone SW Unusual Gray 7059 for more green in the gray,SW 6220 Interesting Aqua.
I think using the deeper, more tonal as opposed to light contrast with siding and trim make it look more "today".
Also, I would assume you are installing clad windows, most likely in a taupe to blend with your stone and roof? If this is not your plan, this would not work well.
Anyway, experiment and have fun!
January 2, 2013 at 2:49pm     
houssaon
Would like to see another shot of the house from farther away. One that zooms. Does the house also have a brick siding? I can see it in earth tones and I would go with three colors to pick out the details.
January 2, 2013 at 4:02pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I actually like the stone and the overall look of the house. I even think the colors are good. I would like to see it in the summer.
January 2, 2013 at 4:56pm   
Brittany Jackson
I agree with the idea of going with a blue-gray color on the siding. The stone is beautiful, pressure wash it (carefully) and make sure it's sealed properly. Is that a built in planter along the front of your house that you can fill with plants? I'd suggest a couple with some yellow blooms to really make the blues pop. The small house numbers fade into the background, what if you used large ones the size of that planter/wall/detail?
January 2, 2013 at 7:15pm   
victorianbungalowranch
I think craftsman type earthy colors could look great, and shingles in the gable with a wide trimboard over the rafter tails would look good, and a hefter trim board over the porch to ceate another band, and a wider barge board would really set the entrance gable off..
January 2, 2013 at 9:08pm     
PRO
Stamps Design Services
Do you want to make the stone stand out or blend in? To stand out I would go with blue-gray or grey to make it blend in I would go with a taupe.... Before you call in a landscaper or buy plants take a look around your area for homes with landscaping that appeals to you
January 2, 2013 at 10:10pm   
PRO
Stamps Design Services
Here are the taupes
January 2, 2013 at 10:12pm   
PRO
Stamps Design Services
I would use the darker tones for the main part ans use the lighter tones as accent painting (if you want that look) Here are a couple of suggestions for door colors as well.......Thi is hard ro pick paints for a home from a picture, but I hope it will give you some Ideas. (I chose Home Depot paints as they have stores overmost of the country.)
January 2, 2013 at 10:18pm   
lionnessone
I see PURPLE in your future.
[houzz=
]
January 3, 2013 at 9:26am   
PRO
The Source
I would recommend a dark charcoal on the trim and facia, and a slightly lighter and warmer grey on the siding. repeat the darker on the corbels and window boxes. Look for the most grey shadow like color in the stone and pull that out for the siding. I would strongly recommend charcoal or black clad windows. If you only have lighter window color options then go white for contrast. Adding a crisp warm neutral pallet, that swings toward the warm grays, will freshen up this house and make it shine. Do not be afraid of dark colors. I did some quick overlay renderings of what I envision including ideas for door color... Be cautious of using specific colors recommended by people in a different part of the country than you are in, make samples on 24"x30" foam core boards to hold up in different light levels and against each side of the house. Lighting is different from different directions (N.E.S.W.) and reflected light off of a red barn or golf course green space will change how your color looks on your specific house. Best of luck to you!
January 3, 2013 at 10:06am     
srhodus
Wow - we're so excited to get all this great feedback. Thank you for your help. New door gets installed next week and paint in the next few months after we mull over our options. Will be sure to post pics once we get it together:)
January 3, 2013 at 11:09am     
hotmholt
Check out a picture of Frank Lloyd Wright's home and studio.
January 4, 2013 at 9:49am