Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Any ideas on what to put above bench
mb2812
January 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have also included pics of the walls around the bench. I will take plastic off once I decide if its a keeper. Any help is appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michigammemom
Would you consider hanging the large floral piece horizontally over the bench rather than leaning it on the black bureau? I would suggest a smaller piece of wall art or a collection of small prints above it.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 1:43PM
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
How about a nice display of framed photos such as family photos, vacation shots, some great memories that make you smile every time you pass by.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 1:45PM
mb2812
I never thought about that. When my hubs gets home I will try it over the bench. However, what types of small items would you suggest.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 1:46PM
mb2812
And for the photos. I did think of that but I go overboard on pics:). I have a built in bookcase in the office with nothing but family pictures and I do love it!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 1:48PM
mb2812
And the ceilings are 9 ft. So do I need to pretty much take up the whole space even towards the top?
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 1:49PM
mb2812
Here's another picture floor to ceiling
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 1:50PM
michigammemom
You might try an arrangement of 4 similarly themed prints in matching frames over the black bureau...something like this.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 1:52PM
decoenthusiaste
Nine feet is "normal" now. Center of art should be at 60" above the floor for starters. If it is with the chest it should visually attach itself for the chest, not float away to the ceiling. Don't be tempted to hang anything too high. You live in the first 7-8 feet of the space where you furniture is.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 1:55PM
charleee
I think this is very pretty: [houzz=
]
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 1:55PM
mb2812
I have these that I could put here but do you all think it works with the floral picture on the chest? And yes I would hang them if they work.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 2:20PM
mb2812
And I have these. Neither of these that I just posted have to work I just have them and thought I would try
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 2:23PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Many good examples of art to use. That I feel is the best thing to do. Anytime you bring art into your home you are also adding personality.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 2:41PM
mb2812
So you don't think they are too tall/ big
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 2:49PM
carbary
The art needs to be large to make a statement.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 2:54PM
PRO
Chroma Design
Keep the plastic on! Don't get me wrong, the bench itself is nice. The width is perfect, but the overall scale is too small. It is dwarfed in that space and by the floor length mirror and table. Something with a back and higher arms is appropriate. Once you have the right bench, it will be easier for you to visualize the right art to go above it.
4 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 3:00PM
mb2812
One other thought, do you not think that the large silver ones compete with the floral picture? I tried to get the whole area in the picture but maybe you can get see it all together with these
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 3:02PM
mb2812
Awe man I have searched and searched and this is the first bench that I have liked and thought would go. I appreciate your honesty and input. What type of bench would you suggest?
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 3:05PM
PRO
Chroma Design
It is a nice bench. And it is only one opinion. Ideally, I would prefer something taller that fits with the scale of the other furnishings. Again, the width is perfect. A back would make it look more substantial. Higher arms would add as well.
BTW, I love your lamp!! I just used the same one in a recent project.
Sorry for the poor photo quality, it was a quicky cell phone pic. This room has yet to be photographed properly. It is part of my "Tudor Home Remodel" project.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 3:18PM
PRO
Chroma Design
Something more like a small settee such as this....
[houzz=
]
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 3:26PM
judianna20
Would you try the floor mirror where the chest is now and put the chest, lamp and pix where the bench is and leave it at that? You don't need to fill every wall.

I think the bench is wrong for your space.
5 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 3:26PM
lizoshea7
HOW ABOUT TRYING THE FLORAL PRINT OVER THE BENCH, THEN JUST UT ONE OF THE LARGE SILVER PIECES OVER THE TABLE WHERE THE FLORAL WAS - I think because the floral piece is wider, itmay look better over the bench 0 and the silver piece is nice, and perhaps use just one of them....put the other somewhere in a private area - the master bedroom suite or a bedroom hallway area...so you can still benefit from having the pieces and not have you use just one! Even thougyh you are separating them and thier use...
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 3:39PM
susanmitch
Love the colors in that print. It does look to crowded over the chest. It would look great horizontally over the bench, if the bench was black and you covered the cushion in black and used toss pillows in the other colors.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 3:49PM
mb2812
The floor mirror is hiding the return so the chest will not work there and I have to cover it simply because I can't standing looking at it. I have it painted the same color as the walls it just still drives me crazy. I will try the floral over the bench when the hubs gets home.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 4:40PM
mb2812
Susanmitch- I agree with you it looks a crowded, but with having nothing it looks way too bare. I have tried that also, and that is mainly why I need help everything I put it just makes it crowded so I am at a loss with this space.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 4:43PM
susanmitch
Can't wait to see new pictures
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 6:01PM
anthip
I like the idea of the floral print above the bench. Could you add cushions propped up against the wall along the back of the bench. Then it would look more substantial against that tall wall but still soft?
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 6:07PM
mb2812
Ok so I have a picture of the hubs holding the floral picture up, what do you all think? Oh and don't judge the height just yet he's just holding it!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 6:57PM
anthip
I like it. With some cushions along the back of the bench to bring together other colours in the room.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 6:59PM
judianna20
God bless husbands. Did he dress to coordinate with the painting? Love the picture on that wall, but : still not lovin' the bench. You need something with a back and something that goes along with the black chest.
Lutyens Wooden Outdoor Bench
Floral Decorator Pillow by Elemen O Pillows
6 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 7:00PM
364robertferrie
I like the two you had previously (the tall artwork with the circle in the middle)
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 7:26PM
mb2812
Lol! I am not real crazy about the picture above the bench. Any other ideas what I could put here. I had the black chest there but then it left that award spot (where the chest was). Any other suggestions??
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 7:28PM
anthip
Is the only other furniture in close proximity the black cabinet? What about a Chinese style bench in a colour chosen from the painting? A nice green? I love the one with the rattan back.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 7:32PM
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 7:36PM
kira5817
I would add an oversized clock in Red or Black. There is a really nice one in red at Pier One right now. You have a mirror and a picture already in the space, so a clock would add something different to the space.
http://www.pier1.com/Antiqued-Red-Wall-Clock/2495751,default,pd.html
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 7:41PM
susanmitch
I like the print there. I do think the bench would look better black. You could paint that one and add the pillows.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 7:54PM
charro534
Move the bench, put the black chest and painting where the bench is and move the mirror to where the black chest was. Do something else with the bench, maybe move it closer to the stairs.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 8:00PM
mb2812
I like the one with the rattan back also! Yes, there is other furniture close. The pictures amaze me because it looks like this is a large space when actually it is not large at all. From the black chest there is a back of another chair (the living room) approximately 3 ft from each other as you can see from the picture I just added.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 8:02PM
mb2812
Charro534. The large mirror is hiding my return, any other options
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 8:04PM
anthip
You could probably have something like the rattan one made very easily. You could probably do it yourself if you were into a bit of DIY...Could you put the cabinet where the mirror is and then the mirror where the cabinet was. And then maybe you don't need anything on that wall except a 3D piece of art or something?
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 8:07PM
ManLand LandMan
Granite entryway table! Get that cheap seat with plastic out that hallway!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 8:09PM
decoenthusiaste
Now that we see you're actually decorating, not just a hallway but, a family room (it looks like) that makes a difference. I say keep the chest and art - they fit and fill out the room. I think one or two armless accent chairs and a table or floor lamp would look better where you have the bench. Then add a smaller piece of art above them. I'm not a fan of floor mirrors unless they reflect something beautiful or interesting. See if you can arrange the chair(s) lamp and art to reflect in the mirror.
High Park Living
Nayyar Family Room 1
Golden Yellow Armless Chair
Nate Berkus Marrakesh Clove Slipper Chair
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 8:51PM
mb2812
What about if I move the chest where the bench is currently and move the chest and floral print where the bench is? Then over the bench pit some type of iron work or clock??
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 9:14PM
mb2812
Now check this out, what do you all think?
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 9:30PM
PRO
Chroma Design
That's not working for me. I thought the table and lamp were great where they were. Switch them back.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 9:47PM
Coby Smit
I also think replacing the bench with a modern Button-Back Settee would work perfectly. What about painting the wall and putting up some abstract paintings...or photo's?
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 10:10PM
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
I would hang the floral print vertically over the bench or any of the other benches recommended.
I especially liked anthip and judyg's recommendations as well as the Horchow button backed settee. Then hang a framed mirror over the black chest of drawers with the lamp. The floral print is to large for the chest. If you decide on a console table instead of the bench, I would still hang the floral picture over it instead of the chest.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 10:18PM
Eileen
Try the mirror over the bench and put a small table in front of your return.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 11:20PM
patriciarhall
return the bench. it doesn't look good with your other furniture and the scale of it is not good for the space. your room and art are lovely!
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 6:20AM
decoenthusiaste
You haven't shown us the rest of the space. I think the chest and painting are completing the entire room where they were on the original wall. If you love the bench, is there a window where it could sit? Would it look great at the foot of your bed? I think the idea of armless chairs would be flexible, as they (or it) could be pulled into the conversational area when you have need. Please don't fall for the oversized clock idea - not decor in my book - just a marketing phenom by the big box stores.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 7:18AM
mb2812
Ok for pics for the rest of the space here goes. I have 3 kids so please overlook toys and such as Christmas was just barely a week ago. The area that I am working on is not near as big as it looks in the photos.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 8:47AM
suzstag
I would shop for or collect several different star bursts , different shapes and sizes with mirrors in them. Or simply find a collection of different mirrors in different shapes and sizes.that would work well also.
Good luck
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 5:41PM
norma034
Any idea on how to finish decorating the fire place.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 8:15PM