powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Should I tile around the kitchen windows?
Bellamira Design
January 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Just remodeled a kitchen. It is on a lake, so it is "beachy" looking. I found this great mosaic backsplash that looks like beach glass. Originally, I was going to run the glass mosaic above and around the windows in the corner. Now, I am afraid that if I do it may look dated in five years or so. Opinions -- leave the paint, or carry glass tile above windows.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
feeny
Very pretty tile and kitchen, but I'd leave the paint above the windows. I think it looks great right now.
January 2, 2013 at 1:48pm     
PRO
Stoneshop
I agree with feeny. Especially since your space isn't super modern, I would leave the tile as is. Your kitchen is beautiful, by the way! It is very timeless with stunning character and crown molding.
January 2, 2013 at 1:57pm     
PRO
Bellamira Design
Thank you so much. I was leaning toward leaving the paint contrast.
January 2, 2013 at 2:19pm   
Judy Showen
I'd leave the paint also - it keeps more color in the room. Very nice...and my favorite color :-)
January 2, 2013 at 3:55pm     
PRO
Decorating Den Interiors - Susan Keefe, C.I.D.
The room would look much better if the windows had some simple valances or mock romans mounted on the wall above them to give more height to that corner and to soften the room a bit.
Sandy Eddinger
what about some steel panels that match the aplainces for some contrast
tabithashayla
Very nice kitchen, wouldn't add any more tiles. Would love to see how your island will turn out.
January 2, 2013 at 3:57pm   
lisadar
I would leave the paint..and perhaps use 4x4 squares of the tile spread apart along the top to tie it in with the backsplash
January 2, 2013 at 3:59pm   
Mary Morrow
I love it what color blue is that?
January 2, 2013 at 3:59pm   
mzlove
Beautiful and I agree with others as far as leaving the paint above and around the window. What is the paint color and brand? It's beautiful!!!
January 2, 2013 at 4:00pm   
James Allen
Don't add tile! Please don't put anything over or around the windows! The area looks very crisp and clean, and you can paint that area long term. I am a tile installer 28 years.
January 2, 2013 at 4:03pm     
PRO
Pamela Foster & Associates, Inc.
Leave the paint.
January 2, 2013 at 4:05pm   
Amanda McFarlane
Do not add tile. It looks great with that burst of colour in the window area.
January 2, 2013 at 4:06pm   
kbw1207
It's perfect as shown!!! Absolutely love this renovation and colors! Thanks for sharing!!!
January 2, 2013 at 4:07pm   
Joyce LeBlanc
I would leave it as it is . More tiles would make the cove look smaller .
January 2, 2013 at 4:08pm   
hermiecat
Love the tile. I have something similar in green. I think going above the windows would be too much.
January 2, 2013 at 4:09pm     
Abbey C
Do NOT tile. The pain color looks really nice. Plus the tile area around the range and behind the sink is called a backsplash and tiled because it's easier to clean when 'splashes' occur. If anyone is splashing above your window then you have bigger problems than tile!! :)
January 2, 2013 at 4:10pm     
PRO
BELLA INTERIORS - Jill Kalman
Leave the paint and add linen roman shades to the windows
January 2, 2013 at 4:11pm     
Joyce LeBlanc
If you painted from the top of the windows to the ceiling the same color as your cabinets would it make the cove look larger ?
January 2, 2013 at 4:13pm   
Cheryl Fyfe
There's plenty of tile already; keep the wall painted!
January 2, 2013 at 4:15pm   
PRO
Decorating Den Interiors - Susan Keefe, C.I.D.
There is already of plenty of hard surface, paint and tile in the room. Fabric shades would make it look more finished and give it balance.
January 2, 2013 at 4:18pm   
janetholly
what is the wall color please. Beautiful kitchen!
January 2, 2013 at 4:36pm   
Donna Longmire
I would not add the tiles to the top of the windows. It looks good as is.
January 2, 2013 at 4:52pm   
PRO
IN* D* Ex
Paint and soft breezy valances on windows. You have so much glass tile now. More would be overkill.
January 2, 2013 at 4:56pm     
PRO
TKraft Art & Interiors
LOVE the way it looks in the photo painted the room color. Sometimes less is more. This kitchen is so inviting and looks timeless. And in response to some of the previous comments I would never dream of adding any window treatment being on the lake I would let Mother Nature take center stage. It's gorgeous!
January 2, 2013 at 5:13pm     
Pam Hanson-Holtry
It looks nice now. Definitely no tile. If anything, I would paint white around the windows to match the cabinets. The blue-green grabs a bit too much of my attention when looking out the windows. If you want color, I would pick a simple (stripe maybe) coordinating fabric and hang it as though it were a valance above the window area. It would soften the look. Good luck!
January 2, 2013 at 5:20pm   
Vickie Burton
i wouldnt put tile keep the paint
January 2, 2013 at 5:48pm   
shdami3
I like the paint too. Gorgeous kitchen!
January 2, 2013 at 5:56pm   
kathleen MK
BEAUTIFUL as is! I'd leave the windows uncovered unless privacy is a an issue. a great place for a few pots of herbs.
January 2, 2013 at 6:04pm     
PRO
Adrienne DeRosa
I agree with the option of no tile, although as much as I like the paint color, I think it stands alone a little too much above that window. Perhaps consider painting it the same color as the cabinets, but in the same sheen as the rest of the walls. It will blend more with its surroundings, and compete less with the back splash. I would also leave that area free of any type of valance, etc. Allow the tile to be the focal point, as this way it is already balanced with the large window. Roman blinds, which can be opened completely may be a practical option, but I would be sure to keep it as un-fussy as possible. Perhaps a nice, clean white. It is a beautiful space that you have orchestrated. I hope this helps!
January 2, 2013 at 6:06pm   
janahaamy
No tile. Plantation shutters would look nice on the window.
January 2, 2013 at 6:11pm   
mth3
I love the paint color. Maybe a simple stencil above the window. The kitchen is beautiful.
January 2, 2013 at 6:24pm   
tabithashayla
I totally agree about leaving the window just as, Many others have commented putting valances on the windows, but I don't think they will work with this design. Less is more.
January 2, 2013 at 6:38pm     
tersteve
I hear you about not putting tiles around the windows and the room is beautiful but something is off balance. Not sure what the solution is but the window wall seems to be floating. Maybe paint in a tone closer to tile color would help.
January 2, 2013 at 6:41pm   
PRO
SH interiors
I agree with the majority of answers. I would leave it as is; I think it's more visually interesting the way it is now. Beautiful kitchen!!
January 2, 2013 at 6:44pm   
PRO
Bellamira Design
The color of the paint is Benjamin Moore, HC-148, Jamestown Blue. I used lighter, HC-147, Woodlawn Blue in adjoining family and dining rooms.
January 2, 2013 at 6:59pm     
Tina Wright
I absolutely love this kitchen... Please don't tile around the windows as it would make it all too "busy"... personally I don't like tiles up to the ceiling anyway. The paint colour is perfect, leave it as it is! Well done!
January 2, 2013 at 7:55pm   
gillygirl
The room is beautiful! I Agree that tile isn't the answer at the window...but I do think something to soften the room in that area would really give it a finished look...just a soft sheer-like valance or panel might do the trick (and you won't obstruct your beautiful view). Here's an example.
January 2, 2013 at 8:20pm   
Jo_Ann Doctoroff
Leave it like it is...beautiful
January 2, 2013 at 8:27pm   
mzlove
thanks for the paint info!!
January 2, 2013 at 8:45pm   
eureka79
Your kitchen is beautiful as is! Let the focus be on the tile around cooktop! BTW, LOVE the colors, very fresh and clean. Gorgeous job! I would be very proud of the look done here!
January 3, 2013 at 1:35am   
Pam Hanson-Holtry
In looking at the picture again, I would definitely paint the area above the windows white to match the cabinets. Then I would take apart one of the tile sections (I'm guessing you probably have extras) and glue individual pieces of tile in a random fashion above the windows. Not too many, though. It should have a light and airy feeling and would add a bit of sparkle and interest to this area, plus it would coordinate perfectly. I would also add a solid, coordinating rug in front of the sink to define that area. It appears to be a bit recessed because of the large refrigerator. The backsplash should not be the entire focus of the room. You have a lovely view. It should all work together. Probably more than you wanted to hear. Best wishes!
January 3, 2013 at 6:40am   
mzlove
keep as is.........
January 3, 2013 at 6:48am   
fameislife
Leave the paint and dont tile!
January 3, 2013 at 6:51am   
Nora
its perfect like it is now!!!
January 3, 2013 at 7:17am   
PRO
Six Walls Interior Design
no more tile, but some woven shades ---left pulled up most all the time to create a "valance" type top treatment within the window frame--as opposed to on top (which would cover the wall color & trim work) that brings the warmth of the wood floor up into that area would add texture & dimension without distracting from the lovely tile work & other features of your kitchen.
January 3, 2013 at 7:24am   
fm4d
beautiful! Leave it as is/
January 3, 2013 at 7:47am   
Jean Tuck
I like exactly what you have done with your kitchen all the trim and everything is wonderful, you should be very happy with your finished kitchen project. Thanks for sharing.
January 3, 2013 at 8:19am   
PRO
SOFAS & CHAIRS OF MINNESOTA
I agree with many of the commenters, the current tile looks wonderful and I think adding more tile above in the windows would get to the point of over-doing it. Looks wonderful and congratulations!
January 3, 2013 at 11:41am     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Most definitely leave it the way it is it looks great.
January 3, 2013 at 11:45am   
lornatimbrown
I'd love to see more pictures! Is it a remodel or new construction? How does the dishwasher location work with the corner sink?
January 4, 2013 at 11:54pm   
PRO
Bellamira Design
This was a remodel. The dishwasher works because there is room between the door open and the sink, then it is a matter of turning sideways to load the dishes.
January 5, 2013 at 8:01am   
suzstag
I love your hardwoods against the white cabinets , very fresh and clean. I wouldn't tile around the window. Less is more.
January 7, 2013 at 5:48pm