Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Exterior board & batten wood stain?
Tamara B
January 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
100 yr. war time home in St. Catharines, near N.F. Canada area. I spent close to 2 years fixing inside, outside and landscaping. What do you suggest for stain colour on this new added pine Board & Batten frontage. I&B is only on the front due to lack of funds. I am a single senior & cutting corners. The existing white covered porch is aluminum siding. The sides and back are beige pebble dash.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dirt Digger
Just wanted to comment that my father was born and raised in St. Catharine's....so cool!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 2:59PM
houssaon
Do you want to stay in the wood tones or whould be up for color stains?
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 3:01PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
You have so many colors on the house already you should choose one for all the sides of the house. So if you can't do the new siding all around then paint all sides to match.
2 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 3:06PM
houssaon
I think the warm color of this Adirondack rough cut pine siding looks great: Finished Houses-Exteriors 1. Looks like a redwood stain to me.

Love this dark gray stain: Finished Houses-Exteriors 2. It would work with what you have on the side of the house and really play up the white front area and red door!

Here is a nice fern green: Finished Houses-Exteriors 3. Another winner that would work well for you. I like how they painted the railing white.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 3:08PM
judianna20
Brrrrrrr. Adorable houseā€¦all white, including your stair railings.

0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 3:20PM
anitajoyce
Love th back color of the house and I love the red door!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 3:32PM
Tamara B
Houssaon: I am open to color stains. Any suggestions?
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 4:35PM
Tamara B
Dirt Digger: Its a city with a small town feel. I bet your dad liked living in St. Catharines. I live on the oldest street in the City. House turned 100 this year.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 4:53PM
houssaon
Tamara B, the threee houses I posted are all stained! I have a question in to the professional about the details. The first one is pine and the stain looks like a redwood.

Benjamin Moore semi solid and solid stains are available in 75 colors, but can be custom tinted any of their colors. See their stain color deck: http://media.benjaminmoore.com/WebServices/prod/bm_stain/pdf/ArborcoatColorCard_chip_spread.pdf

Natural/translucent and transparent stains are available in 6 colors: natural, redwood, teak, cedar, mahogany and silver gray.

I love color so I would stain the pine with semi solid or solid stain. I think I would go with the solid, since it affords better protection and lasts longer, although it hides move of the grain, I think you would still see the knots. I used a solid on a house that had redwood siding that had been dark brown. I wanted it a medium gray. I was very happy with the coverage and it lasted many years. I would rather stain than paint, but it is harder to apply.

Anyway, have fun look at their colors!
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 12:15AM
pollyannagal
What a cute house. I would add my vote to the 'keep it all white' camp. Simple and fresh and will make the porch part of the house rather than a bit on the front. I think adding another colour breaks it up too much and looks bitty.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 3:19AM
sms9758
Living in a cold climate too I think all white can get too much glare in the winter months and color can banish the winter blahs even on the outside of your home. I like some of the warm wood stains that were mentioned and then in the summer maybe play them against flower boxes with pink flowers. Little can be cozy. Enjoy
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 7:06AM
charro534
Love the house! I am going to add one comment about the white portion of the house. I think you should add a little wider molding around the windows on the white portion of the house to mimic the wide molding on the small upper window. The wider window trim would really add to the look of the front and would tie the two sections together. As for the color, I would find a stain and a paint the same color or use only a shade difference between the two. The color would be more cohesive and that door would really pop.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 7:34AM
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 7:47AM
Dar Eckert
I'm loving the white with the natural wood. I don't think I would paint it other than a clear stain. Add a couple of window boxes on the front porch windows and you've got it.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 7:53AM
Tamara B
Dar Eckert; charro534, houssaon: So many good ideas!! I like the idea of adding moulding around the front windows. So, if I keep it a more natural wood look, the moulding will tie in with the colour scheme. I agree that the white porch looks like an add on instead of part of the house....so I will either go all white or a light natural wood stain. Will either paint the sides white or find a few $$ and B&B the rest of the house.

Thank you thank you thank you for all your great suggests, opinions and time you spent on my dilemma.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 9:01AM
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.