Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with two story wall in family room
newhomegal
January 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I really do not like how this room looks. I need some advice. I love the painting rug and big clock. Can I get some ideas?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
tennisanyone
You need a taller and wider entertainment center. Take down those two metal pieces above the tv. Only makes tthe tv seem smaller. also the ones by the windows need to go too. I like what you did with the drapes. Floor to ceiling. A picture of the whole room would help too.
January 2, 2013 at 7:04PM     
newhomegal
What would you put in their place? It is a lot of beige.
January 2, 2013 at 7:10PM   
PRO
Monique Jacqueline Design
Hello!

I agree that we need to find a new location for the two round iron pieces. I think that this wall space is calling for an entertainment center. If you had height in furniture it would give your space some balance and warmth. Should you like the idea and need assistance with some sketches, just let me know.
Cheers!
m.
January 2, 2013 at 7:12PM   
tennisanyone
I would not put anything until you get a tall entertainment center. You might find you don't need anything. I like them, I just think it is the wrong spot for them.
January 2, 2013 at 7:13PM     
PRO
la bella terra`
U are certainly off to a grand start ! All that wonderful Light , Space, & Good looking furniture,so don't be discouraged. I see this(extreme height, great rooms) situation all the time. B-4 i add my 2 cents worth, ?'s; are U willing/ able to change out that TV & how deep is the Brick ledge just above your fireplace hearth & are U willing to do a little bit of painting ?
January 2, 2013 at 7:40PM   
newhomegal
We have to keep the tv or my hubby will leave. Would like to find a way to hide toys but have them easy for kids to get out. The fireplace ledge at the top is about 3 ft deep. We do not want the tv above the fireplace. Thank you all so much for your help.
January 2, 2013 at 7:59PM   
Shelley E.
I agree big book shelves and ET center. you will probably have to go suctome to go that big. if not maybe add your own huge beam across 2 other lower ones like a bridge, continue down with shelves. leave room for the tv and by a trunk for toys. paint with some warmth to bring your eys down and leave a warm feeling.
January 2, 2013 at 8:11PM   
ManLand LandMan
Curtains are huge!
January 2, 2013 at 8:30PM     
GizV
I think your window wall is spectacular.

The wall the painting is on could be a subtle accent wall, something a few shades deeper then the color on the wall would make the painting more important.

I think 7 ft tall wall unit to house the TV, toys behind doors and in drawers, and open shelves for display is a great solution. Scandinavian Design, Pottery Barn, and Ballard Design have good ideas for wall units. I think Shelly E. is right, something custom might be your best course of action.

I''m attaching a pic of a wall unit designed by the homeowner. She designed it to display the statues, but it might get your creative juices going. Closed storage below, open above.
January 2, 2013 at 8:39PM   
PRO
la bella terra`
Thank U for your prompt response! So here goes... , If U painted the large wall surrounding your FP a complimentary/ blending color ( need to know color of drapes ?) making all that is going on on that wall much more cohesive & leaving the window frames to stand out as an architectural detail giving much needed depth/dimension.
Then consider this 1 (of many) option for TV area, surround or frame TV with attached or free~floating Shelving going -up (H) and out (W) several ft. on that wall. Then painting shelving the same tone of color from FP wall. Place lighting on & across the front top shelves( as u would over a painting). The lighting will serve U in redirecting the eyes, heights & proportioning the room. Consider then placing that fab. clock centered & above shelving... As it's probably not best for a focal pt. cause it's not a relaxing pc, in a room intended for leisure.
Back to the FP area, don't know what kind of view is out those lovely windows but if you placed a (wood) storage chest in front of both windows, U have 2 window seats which again adds another subtle carefully edited layer of depth & a place to house toys. Trust me when I say that they will not interfere with the chair placement around hearth. Place a cushion on top of chests in a lush textured fabric.
Note; If U have a handy someone avail. who could make the window seats, I suggest making them a Demilune (1/2 circle) shape, which would both complement your arched walls & soften some of the harsh repetitive flat, straight lines of FP wall. This option is an inexpensive way of balancing the space , adding depth, relevant storage & making the TV disappear. If U wish more input let me know otherwise I'll shut up now... Enjoy your lovely hm....!
January 2, 2013 at 9:58PM     
jenpa8
What you have right now is a bunch of suggestions to take what is really a poorly planned space and try to camouflage it. Here's my suggestion: create a walkway from those upper stairs over to a loft area that goes right above all of this. You can create some exposed beams that will complement your Mediterranean style. It will be cozy, dramatic and give you so much additional space. What a great work, play or guest area. We had a very deep, dis-proportioned room like this in a previous house and we ended up doing the opposite, we raised the floor, but the outcome is the same. You will breathe easier in rooms that are properly proportioned for humans, not giraffes and this will bring a lot of value to the home.
January 2, 2013 at 10:18PM   
PRO
la bella terra`
jenpa8, Your comment & suggestion is SPOT-ON! I'm actually not big on camouflage if one has the best option of restructuring a poor lay-out. Wouldn't have made my above suggestions if I knew this was the homeowners option however it wasn't indicated in their ?.... And yes tasteful drama / impact is definitely something the scale of this space calls for / can handle.
January 2, 2013 at 10:54PM   
Eileen
Without doing a complete renovation, here's my suggestion. First, paint the walls darker. Add a strip of wainscoting on the wall above the TV to align with the sill of your arched openings. Paint the space above this a darker color. I'd say something in between the wall color and your curtain color. Continue this darker color on the window wall to reduce the contrast between drapery and wall. Add a large entertainment center and display some over sized pottery (for example) on the top of it to break up the horizonal plane. Hang all four of your medallions on the wall with the offset art.
January 2, 2013 at 11:05PM   
Darzy
I'm going to go the "camoufllage" route. : ) I suspect a large entertainment center is not in the budget for a new home owner with small children. First, I think you need another set of four curtain panels. They look "pencily" and gives you the impression you need to add something in the center above the windows. Fuller curtain panels would fill the space, make it cozier and no need for art there so remove the circles. This may sound "weird" but try putting the biggest circle above the tv (way lower to avoid seeing the vents). Then, the other circle art sort of low on the right of the tv centered from the tv to door. Then the two small ones, sort of vertical on the left of the tv. (A "collection" wall for more impact and space filler). Then, a couple of wicker "toy" baskets flanking the tv stand to extend the piece and add toy storage. Move the end table and the lamp to the wall under the painting and next to the chair. I'd leave the clock above the FP, but remove the small prints and put the vase thing on the sofa table. A collection of candlesticks perhaps on the "brick ledge" of the FP. You have a nice room and some tweaking will make you feel better. This chest is ikea for $60.

January 2, 2013 at 11:28PM     
Darzy
I was also thinking that pillows with a circle type design would repeat that element from the walls to the furniture as well.

January 2, 2013 at 11:32PM     
newhomegal
@Darzy - more curtains at this length are not in the budget. I would have to have them custom made. These are panels I had from a previous home 120s sewn together. I might can open them a bit more, but I am concerned about blocking the light out of these windows. Having a custom made cabinet it way out of the budget. These walls are over 24 feet tall. It would need a 10ft entertainment center and when I have priced that it is over $10K. I do not have the budget to spend for this. As far as making a loft space. Not needed. The home is 4400SF and we do not need an extra room. We bought it for the big open living room, just need some help polishing it off. I like the collection idea and may work towards that. I love the circle pillows and have been on the hunt for some budget friendly ones.
Keep the ideas coming! Thank you for your suggestions.
January 3, 2013 at 7:30AM   
PRO
Monique Jacqueline Design
Hello!
You could probably get away with an 8-9' entertainment center. There are some cost effective thoughts that could be discussed. You could get some prefabricated units have them built in accordingly. You could get creative and save a lot of money. In the end, one would not know if the unit was completely custom or not!
Should you be interested in further details, I would love to help you further!
Cheers!
m.
January 3, 2013 at 1:57PM   
michelh45
Visit IKEA and view their selection of tv cabinets and tall bookshelves that can configured and rearranged as desired. They come with brackets to attach to the wall for safety - for hundreds of dollars. Some come with lighting options and door options to hide family games and necessary entertainment items. Additionally - the wall decor could be reorganized closely together as a collection or gallery closer to eye level.
January 3, 2013 at 8:51PM