Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
New Curtains - Large/Wide Living Room Windows
bobbiheritsch
January 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have a living room that is very well lit and would like to keep it this way but add a little privacy. We were thinking of doing some kind of sheer that would allow natural light in and maybe curtains on either side of the windows? We would like to go with a somewhat modern look and trying to decide whether or not to use the double curtain rod? Any thoughts or ideas? Our furniture will be a dark leather and will eventually put down a dark laminate floor with rugs.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
AMBIT Architecture
First thought seeing these pics- mount the curtains at ceiling and go wall to wall into the corner. Pull curtains back where there are windows, let them hang fixed at wall. Absolutely go with opaque with sheer. Consider the walls in the space, not just the windows.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 6:29AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I noticed that your heat registers run along the one window. You need to keep this in mind with your choices. Panels on each side with a shear/opaque blind might be a better choice. Something like a Silhouette from Hunter Douglas. These could be vertical and hide behind the panels when open. Or horizontal and do inside mount with a self valance.
3 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 6:47AM
PRO
JMittman Designs
Is that a traditional white traversing rod? The old fashioned kind? I can't see the detail of it. if so, you do NOT want to use that rod without covering the top with a cornice or valance. Those rods were not meant to be "seen". Are you familiar with ripple fold draperies? There is a pic of them on my Houzz profile--or you could Google them as well. They look great fabricated in sheers. They use a track rod that allows the curtains to slide easily by hand/baton, and is a modern updated look to traditional pinch pleated draperies. The track can be wall mounted or ceiling mounted. The panels can split in the middle or stack to one side. Take a look. Good luck!
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 7:04AM
bobbiheritsch
Thanks guys! Great ideas! We are very excited to start decorating our new house! All suggestions are greatly appreciated. I do believe it is an old traversing rod, JMittman. We are looking into getting new rods, but are new to all of this and happy for help/ideas!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 7:48PM
PRO
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 2:17PM
PRO
The Creative Man
Look for something called silhouttes. There like a blind that is encased in sheer fabric.
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 2:34PM
More Discussions
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
Have dining "booth" - how to incorporate into 1982 split foyer home!
PIcture doesn't show well. The 1982 kitchen is opposite...
Mystery Stone/Marble
Can anyone give me a name for this stone/marble?
How to choose hardwood flooring?
This is a case where the Internet is not helping. We...
My New Apartment from A-Z.Your advice will be priceless!
Firstly I would like to thank all of you for taking...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.