Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with exterior
nirmalabaskaran
January 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am reposting my design dilemma as previously attached wrong oics. I am refurbishing/ retrofitting a 1970's bungalow in Malaysia. It hasn't been lived in for three years and looks pretty run down. We are hoping to keep most of the old building and are adding on. Our theme is modern Mediterranean.
We are adding a double storey bit onto the driveway you see on the left. The extension comes out as far as the building on the right. It eats about 3 feet into the turfed area. The central courtyard is then going to be excavated to build a sunken seating area. This will be in terracotta. We are opening up large windows and french windows to look into the courtyard. There is a further 40 x 20 feet of land in front which you can see in the next pic.That is a mango tree that we are likely removing to replace with softer trees that will let more light in and allow the grass to grow
The new car porch will be on a lower level and we are doing that in concrete with grass between blocks
The backyard is quite small. You can’t see a lot of the land, but there are two large fruit trees just beyond the frame. This area will be in red terracotta. The windows are going to be redone, bigger and more modern finish. Black trim.
The last pic is the street view. We are redoing the fence and putting in some trees on the street side

We start construction in six weeks and I am still wrecked with doubt about using so much burgundy colored terracotta when the hype these days is all about black and grey. The roof is also red. The walls are going to be white. Our indoor decor is mostly dark woods, leather and red carpets.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TanCalGal
I've never sen burgundy terra-cotta. I like red tiled roof with beige house and shades-of-beige tiles in Versailles pattern .
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 2:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
claudiann
So, the walls of the house outside are going to be white? The roof red and the flooring of the courtyard and patio in the backyard a burgundy terra cotta tile? And black trim on the windows. That sounds like a very clean,crisp color scheme. It doesn't sound very Meditrannean, but then I'm not knowledgable about that style. It sounds like an intensive project. I'm curious as to why you are excavating the courtyard. Also I don't understand how you are going to have grass if your carport is going to be under the addition.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 4:58PM