Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Please help me complete this room
fisayooke
January 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Could you please suggest accesories, color and furniture ideas for this room? I was thinking of putting a bench across from the beige chairs and a rug in between. I'm still unsure about the plan and would appreciate any ideas or tips.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
houssaon
I'm glad you provided the second shot. It shows that the room is rather small. I love the colors you selected. How about flanking the two chairs on the fireplace (one with the table and a lamp) and have a small sofa with the floor lamp facing the TV and fireplace? Or have the two chairs and the round table facing the fireplace and small sofa or another chair on one wall and the bench on the other.
January 2, 2013 at 11:34pm     
jansgirl
Is there enough room to move the sofa down to the lower "level" facing the fireplace? Then the chairs could face each other, flanking the FP. I wouldn't clutter it up with too much more furniture or accessories for the sake of "filling" up space.

A rug would cozy things up--large enough for at least the front legs of the sofa & chairs to sit on.

With your bar on the upper level, I see more of a conversation pit/game table set up in the middle of that area...Maybe a buffet?hutch? storage piece on the wall opposite the bar.(can't see what is there currently)

You have some very nice furniture and did a great job on your "photo wall". Would love to see what you decide!
January 3, 2013 at 12:24am     
PRO
Dexter Sykes
You asked for rug. I don't know what style do you like, but there's a cool store with big selection of rugs: http://www.arearugsusa.net/
January 3, 2013 at 3:04am   
michigammemom
Rather than a bench, you might consider a divan on the wall across from your pair of chairs. Take a look at Home Decorators for area rugs where you can search by color.
January 3, 2013 at 4:37am   
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I would suggest a small loveseat in place of the bench, it will provide more seating and help to warm up the space. Definitely need a rug as well. Beautiful so far!
January 3, 2013 at 4:49am     
fisayooke
Thanks for all the feedback. Jansgirl, unfortunately we cannot move the sofa to the area by the fireplace. We need the sofa to watch TV and there isnt enough space in that area to create a good enough distance from the sofa to the TV. Gabberts Design..,Michegammemom, houssaon, I am willing to look into a love seat/divan/setee in place of the bench. The issue I am facing though is of color. I think I want something colorful or with patterns, but I really confused and would appreciate any leads. I have the same dilemma on the rug. I dont know what color or style of rug would complement the space. So to narrow it all down, my main questions are: what rug and settee/loveseat/divan could go with the space. My requirements are something, catchy and relaxed. Thank you!
January 3, 2013 at 8:28am   
fisayooke
Also, thanks to everyone for the compliments on the space. I've been working on this room for a while and its great to finally see it starting to come together! Oh fyi, the pillows on the chairs are from christmas. They will be removed.
January 3, 2013 at 8:34am   
ersahin
If you think only little changes to complete this room with these objects I would prefer mounting TV on the wall in the left (1st picture) rather than over the fireplace. You may think a picture or a little sculpture over it. But the fireplace and TV at the same wall vertically irritates at the first look..
As addition; consider changing orange paint, good luck..
January 3, 2013 at 8:38am   
groveraxle
January 3, 2013 at 8:53am     
fisayooke
ersahin, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, we wouldnt be willing to move the TV because we would like it to be viewed from all alreas of the room. Thanks groveraxle for the suggestion. I will look into it. Thanks all, please keep the suggestions coming!
January 3, 2013 at 9:05am   
PRO
Dytecture
Great job so far with this room. Here is an example similar to your situation.

January 3, 2013 at 9:11am   
fisayooke
Thanks for the vote of confidence Dytecture :)
January 3, 2013 at 9:14am     
Cindy Denny
Wow... I'm seeing a chance for some spice in this small space! You could bring in a chair / ottoman--at an angle--across from the existing chairs. Perhaps in an eggplant cloth? (pic 1) or in some more orange? (pic2)

To pull it together you could stick a spicy rug in the middle... (pic 3) Keep the red xmas pillows and hang some beautiful artwork, and i think this room could dazzle! Spice includes so many colors, as long as they are deep, true colors... nothing wimpy... that this 'small' space will be cozy yet exciting!

Good luck!
January 3, 2013 at 9:29am     
susanmitch
Love your chairs and fireplace
January 3, 2013 at 9:29am   
fisayooke
Thanks Susan! Thanks for the tips Cindy. I hadnt thought about decorating the space from a "spice" colors point of view, so thank you! I will definitely consider it.
January 3, 2013 at 9:32am   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
You most definitely need to add a sofa to balance the weight of the chairs. A large rug that will go under both the chairs and the new sofa. Add a table with rounded edges or a leather ottoman. You will obviously need end tables and lamps keep the visually light nothing overly heavy in this area. Now you have a cozy area for enjoying the fireplace.
January 3, 2013 at 9:37am     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
PS: you did a great job with the color on the fireplace wall. ;-)
January 3, 2013 at 9:38am   
fisayooke
Thanks Interiors International! I do like the of the wall color too :). So I think the clear consensus is the need for a sofa or some additional seating area. I'm still struggling with color and type so I would appreciate any leads. Thanks all!
January 3, 2013 at 10:12am