Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need Help with my Living Room
esiemefa
January 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need help figuring out how to redecorate this living room - there is a huge bay window and I have pieces of furniture but everything looks muted because I stuck with all brown. I am trying to incorporate blues for some color but I do not know how to place these items. There is a sofa, 2 chairs (chair and 1/4) - one of them is a rocker. I have two round drum tables, 2 leather chairs and a leaning leather mirror.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
patriciarhall
we need pictures of the walls and the full room view to be of help.
January 3, 2013 at 6:59AM   
esiemefa
Thanks Patriciarhall - I uploaded some pictures - they are not too good though but can you tell me what kinds of pictures would be of help? I can't seem to capture the whole room
January 3, 2013 at 7:02AM   
esiemefa
Here are two more pictures. There is nothing on the walls. The first picture shows the couch and chair - couch is now placed on the wall as shown in picture #4 with the two drum tables on each side of the couch. The bay window is shown in picture three and the front door is on the same wall as the bay window
January 3, 2013 at 7:12AM   
Natalie
Hi---I suggest you start with purchasing a rug. You need color and pattern-refer to the rug for colors throughout. Pics for inspiration. Also, new window treatments and a floor plan are a must. Hang a drapery rod as close to the ceiling as possible and extend it beyond the windows approximately 8"-12"---hang straight/tailored panels in a neutral hue. I am wondering how you get around the sofa and through tables to access the living room-do you only enter off the hall? Pull the sofa back to where it is about 12" from the wall OR place the sofa opposite the window and put the two large chairs on the blank wall. Try those plans and see what you think. Your wall color could go a shade or two deeper and into a muted yam, toffee, or khaki hue. Pics for color. You have a lot of nice neutral furniture to work with, it should be quite simple for the space to come together. Choose a rug, and the rest will fall into place. Good Luck! http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/clearancerugs/rugs-usa-serenity/rust/200RG31-8010.html http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/couristan-royal-plume/cream/11027150706-23033.html
[houzz=Confort in a Living Room][houzz=Brownhouse Design][houzz=Cortese Living & Dining Rooms]
January 3, 2013 at 7:21AM     
patriciarhall
try placing your sofa in front of the windows leaving 6 to 8 inches between the windows and the sofa. Then place your large chairs where the sofa is now, with one of the drum tables between them. Consider a larger console for the tv to balance the room a bit more. Is the upholstery multi colored? what color are the walls and carpeting?
January 3, 2013 at 7:22AM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Great ideas above definitely add the rug. You do have too many matchy type seating. I would remove the chair &1/4. Let the room breath a bit. If you need extra seating add an ottoman or 2. Have them in color and pattern to liven up the place.
January 3, 2013 at 7:26AM     
esiemefa
Thanks Natalie - love the pictures but will a rug work on carpet?

Patricia, I will not have the tv in the room at all - I have a family room also so I want to keep a tv out of the main living area. The window is on the same wall as the main door - will it be ok to place the sofa there? I will try that tonight - can you look at the first pictures #4 - the patterned pillow is my inspiration for color. The wall is woonsocket bronze http://www.myperfectcolor.com/en/color/41979_Dutch-Boy-18-Y-1-Woonsocket-Bronze
The carpet is off white and I have no window coverings (the one in the picture is just for the time being)
January 3, 2013 at 7:32AM     
esiemefa
@ Interiors International - I have 2 chair 1/4's -one is a glider - I wanted a lot of seating in the room - so I should get rid of one of the chairs or both of them?
January 3, 2013 at 7:34AM   
patriciarhall
heres a fun look at the variety of pillows that can brighten the room.
January 3, 2013 at 7:36AM     
patriciarhall
esiemefa, your colors are lovely. Knowing that the tv won't be in the room would make me look at furniture placement diferently, and would try the sofa on the wall facing the windows with the large chairs in front of the window with a drum table between them. If you plan to get a rug, then shop for it first, then drapery, then accessories including art. Build each layer of color and texture one at a time. Keep posting your ideas and choices and questions on houzz and everyone will be delighted to be a part of making your pretty place delightful.
January 3, 2013 at 7:42AM     
Natalie
Thanks esiemefa. Yes, you can put rugs on carpet and rugs on rugs... :)
[houzz=Traditional Family Room]
[houzz=fun on location]
January 3, 2013 at 7:43AM     
patriciarhall
look on your idea book main living rooms at the Jane Lockhart design for a sense of furniture placement. Also look at the size of the pillows that are used.
January 3, 2013 at 7:45AM   
esiemefa
Thank you all so much - I am going to make the placement changes and post more pictures. I almost returned all the furniture because it looks so different from when I saw it in the store lol - I don't know what I was thinking with all that brown but I am glad for all the help. You are all awesome!
January 3, 2013 at 7:51AM     
Natalie
Your wall color is a nice neutral---however it should be darker than the furniture to add some interest. If your furniture was dark, then it would be just the opposite. The walls, furniture, and carpet are all close in value---some contrast is a must. Looking forward to seeing your progress. CheerS!
January 3, 2013 at 7:55AM     
More Discussions
Icky Decor; Cool Room
Hi from Louisiana! We moved into a much bigger house...
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
Your Opinion
What do you think about the table and seating? Any...
New wall color needed
This guest bathroom was renovated 3 years ago and I...
Exterior door color
Could someone please assist with a color suggestion...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.