Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with kitchen-dining-living room combo
Ilija Pavlic
January 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have an elongated room that I'd like to turn into a space for cooking, eating and seating (I'm attaching the floor plan). Kitchen should be on the south wall because that is where the piping is.

I have an older piece of furniture that I'd like to integrate into the space (similar item pictured).

90% of the time, there will be two people eating, but I'd like to be able to entertain now and then (not necessarily at the main table - I think that seating area would be fine as well).

I don't own a TV, nor plan to. I like an intimate, cosy atmosphere, suitable for conversations, reading and relaxing. I'd like a daybed or a couch that can be used for guests to sleep over for shorter periods of time.

It seems that the room is large enough to fulfill all the roles with some compromises, but I'd like to integrate them seamlessly so neither one stands out. The problem is, I don't know how to start. Another issue is that the windows are on just one side of the room (facing north). I wouldn't want to block the nice view or light.

I'd love some guidelines, sketches or suggestions. Thank you very much!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
judianna20
This picture in't the best, but I thought I would suggest this as a starting point. Would your hutch fit next to the windows? Could you make a corner seating bench to wrap around, fit in a table and chairs and take advantage of the light and the view?
Traditional Kitchen
River House
January 3, 2013 at 7:54am     
judianna20
This is a great day bed, called a Twilight. You could put two of these, back to back, but not touching, right in the middle of the room…one facing the dining table and one facing the kitchen, with a console piece separating them. Something with drawers, so that overnight guests could store necessities.

Now you have a sofa facing the kitchen area. Add a great coffee table and two comfy chairs and the two of you can eat in that spot…close by the kitchen. (These cabinets are you kitchen cabs.)

January 3, 2013 at 8:06am   
judianna20
ipavlic, I just re read my posts and good luck to you if you can understand me. I've got it in my head and I think it work great, but I'm not doing a good job translating. :>)
January 3, 2013 at 8:12am   
Ilija Pavlic
Thank you a lot for your suggestions! I like the idea of the wrap-around bench by the windows and have been considering it myself as well.

In my plans, the bench was to be a part of the seating area which I thought would fit best by the windows (I spend around 75% in the seating/work area, 10% in the dining area and 15% in the cooking area weekly).

By positioning it by the windows, dining area could become the entertaining area as well. I'll give some thought to that!
January 3, 2013 at 9:40am   
judianna20
You may find it will work well for you. My dining/living area is in one location and I find I use the dining table for everything. My favorite it spot on a Sunday morning, to sit by the windows and spread the paper out on the table.

Post pix when you finally decide. Have fun.
January 3, 2013 at 9:45am   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I wish I could do a room layout for you but my design program doesn't do the metric system.
January 3, 2013 at 10:05am   
Ilija Pavlic
I can convert the measures. Here's the floor plan with imperial system measurements. As you can see, the room is approximately 18' x 11' 6". The windows make 8.75' (8' 9"), and there is a small outer wall segment after them (2.72' or approximately 2' 9"). The door to the room is also a small distance from the south wall (1.8' or approximately 1' 10").
January 3, 2013 at 10:45am   
Ilija Pavlic
Another useful thing to mention would be that I like simple lines of functional furnishing combined with comfortable, welcoming seating (perhaps "Scandinavian" would describe it best?). As an illustration, here are some photos that I like:

El Dorado 1
El Dorado 2
The home of Yvonne and Boris 1
The home of Yvonne and Boris 2
Lafayette Residence
San Anselmo Living Room
City Retreat
January 4, 2013 at 1:16am   
Ilija Pavlic
I'm uploading some photos of the current state of the room (all furniture is temporary). The yellow stripe is where the backsplash will go.
January 4, 2013 at 3:53pm