Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need a coffee table and rug for sitting room
Melissa
January 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm not sure what style coffee table and rug to go for. I was originally thinking a mirrored one, but the side tables are mirrored, so that may be too much. The next option was a black iron table with glass. I think perhaps a light and somewhat fluffy rug would help soften the room. I also need curtains. I'd like to keep the room light feeling. Any ideas?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patriciarhall
a grand ottomon would work in place of a coffee table by adding a pretty tray on top. A rug under the ottomon that goes partially under the sofa would put the two together. pretty floors!
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 8:22AM
Melissa
thanks, I was thinking of an ottoman as well, round possibly. Haven't found any nice ones though and would like some storage underneath.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 8:25AM
judianna20
Love, love your room. Take a peek at this rug. I think it is so perfect. I know it is on the houzz product page. There are so may wonderful things you could do with your room. One of the loveliest dilemma I have see on houzz to date. :>)River Oaks Residence
sunroom
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 8:38AM
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
Your floors are amazing!!!!!! You have done a really great job so far too! For curtains I would just do a classic pair of panels in a light neutral color. Make sure they are VERY full on both sides and do a a parisian pleat. Is like a traditional pleated drape but the pinch is at the very top, not a couple of inches down.
sunroom

I've also attahed a few coffee tables for you too.

Worlds Away Neal Gold Leafed Coffee Table with White Marble Top

Antiqued Art Deco Coffee Table

Good luck, I'm sure it will turn out beautiful!
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 9:00AM
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
I agree judyg and I just attached the same image as you did, too funny!
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 9:01AM
Melissa
Thanks for these and for the lovely comments. Which rug were you talking about the neutral one or the cowhide one? I like all the coffee tables - though am worried about too much gold. I'll have to see what I can find that is similar here (Paris).
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 9:32AM
PRO
studio | FORMA
Wow kind I just say what a beautiful room this is, the paneling, the wood floor, etc....... Where is this??

I love, love, love that coffee table that "A. Peltier Interiors" posted, specially with a centered round rug connecting the Sofa and the side Chair. It would complement your wood floors in a very modern way!!
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 9:53AM
judianna20
The neutral one, if your question is directed at me. But, I threw in the cowhide, just in case you would be interested in a little something different.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 10:12AM
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
This is the best discussion I have seen on Houzz, I am so envious of your beautiful place in Paris!
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 11:41AM
Melissa
Yes Judy, it was, sorry! The cowhide is interesting - I was initially thinking sheep skin to add something different and hadn't thought of that. I really like both but will have to see what I can find. Haven't managed to come across the neutral one yet, but its given me some ideas! Thanks to all for all your kind words - the rooms are beautiful on their own, so I don't have to do much!
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 12:33PM
PRO
michigammemom
I love this understated Oriental from Home Decorators with the gold undertones of your sofa and blues from your art. Stunning herringbone floors and trim moldings in your lovely space!
2 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 1:18PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Your end tables are already metal and glass a coffee table that is made of the same materials would be too much. A solid table would be much better. I do like the one above (Antiqued Art Deco Coffee Table). This table would look great on the fur rug shown above.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 1:23PM
judianna20
I FOUND IT! And you are in the right spot for Louis. It is only 15,000.00! Wouldn't this look devine? :>)

0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 1:24PM
Darzy
How about a marble top table? I love the feet on this one! ; )

0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 1:31PM
Melissa
studioFORMA - I'm not tied to a sheepskin rug, I was just thinking it could add some necessary softness to keep the room feeling welcoming, but haven't gotten one because I have mixed feelings. Judy - that trunk is divine indeed...I wish! A marble top table could be interesting. It would pick up the marble in the fireplace which is to the right. Is the consensus that I need a round table?
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 4:19AM
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
Your room is gorgeous and very well chosen items. I agree that the curtains should be just plain panels but I would add some interesting trim/tape on the leading edge. Maybe a greek key. I would also add a tall floor lamp to the left in the picture to balance out the palm. Is there room for a pair of narrow consoles or chests under each painting? Maybe lamp light on each. I would use a rectangular coffee table. Pagaoda Red has a beautiful one in lucite with cloisonne accents which is stunning and will keep to the light airy feeling you have achieved so far. A simple lucite waterfall table also works. Also place a table next to what looks like a wing chair with a lamp as you need some mid level task lighting in the room. In regards to the rug I would use an oriental/.persian style rug to ground the room and add some movement to the room. Do one with an overall pattern rather than a center medallion. Another more trendy option is to use a Flotaki style rug which will add lots of texture. They are cheap. Back in the seventies when Eleanor Brown of Macmillen and Company updated her rooms she just changed out her rugs to white fluffy rugs. So things do come full circle.
If I could change anything in the room I would change the two endtables which while beautiful could be taller and more substancial.They could be round. I would not prefer the look of a round coffee table. No matter what you do it will be beautiful as you have already achieved a great look! Go to the Puce(sp?) and have fun!
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 5:36AM
Melissa
Thanks for all the suggestions Ipmenache. There is a round table next to the wing chair - currently looking for a shade for the lamp that is on it. I was thinking about a Flotaki rug as they are readily available. We actually just got the end table at the Puces Market (we've been going every weekend since we moved!), so I won't be getting rid of them. They nest into one another and I really like them. I tried a round table there and that particular one didn't feel right - it just didn't seem elegant enough, but perhaps it was the table. So many choices!
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 5:49AM
2dogssashatess
I love your floor, and the white panelled walls.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 6:12AM
Darzy
I think a round coffee table would be perfect under that great chandelier. Plus, it will break up the rectangles surrounding the room. Lovely space! I'm leaning toward the marble top. It's always an "elegant" material.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 10:44AM
PRO
Melissa, I understand about the tables. Stack them on one side(right) and put a great floor lamp on the other side. It should be kind of fluid in shape to break up the lines. Stacking them will give them more volume.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 1:22PM
Monica Ellison
Very classy!
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 1:32PM
Xaloux
what a beautiful room! love your floors - so much character!
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 6:49PM
gillianlf
I also love the floors which I think is the reason I felt you should go with a round wood table possibly with some sort of radial design inlay, but actually that would compete to much. I like the idea of an ottoman too and it should be round the room does need softening.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 8:17PM
PRO
Melissa, can you post the other views of the room so we can see what else is in the room. The room will soften when your drapes are up and your mantel will be another oportunity to soften the room.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 2:08AM
Melissa
Yes, I will post some additional photos soon. We've recently moved in so its all a work in progress!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 10:26PM
PRO
I await your new additional photos!
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 3:44AM
Aja Mazin
Your pillows are an exquisite addition to a stunning sofa and your curvilinear end tables coordinate so well.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 9:07AM
Aja Mazin
Doris Leslie Blau Collection

Cowhide with silver

Silk flokati with silver metallic
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 10:18AM
Aja Mazin
Another silk and wool flokati mottled with gold.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 10:29AM