Discussions
Professionals
Users
How to arrange the space..
henryq
January 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
How to arrange the space..
Hi,
few years back we bought 1930's 3 bed semi detached house in Nuneaton, UK. Originally ground floor had entrance hall with built-in cupboard, front lounge/sitting room, rear lounge/dining room and kitchen, that's how they use to build houses here.
And what I have to say it's all wrong, and we need to change something.

Living room problem.
After living few years we realized that living room is not big enough, it's from north side, not much light during day.. noise from the street..
also has got chimney breast which makes decorating problem even harder as we have one wall with bay window (radiator under window), other one with door, and wall which could be use full to put sofa next to it has got door next to it..

Kitchen
First thing we done was removing wall between kitchen and dining and making a bar, this works ok, more space more light in the kitchen but..

There is crazy idea in my mind to remove part of the wall between kitchen/dining and living room to put more light in to living room and make even more space. And here we have a problem how to arrange the space ? I was even thinking to move kitchen in to living room so we can make bigger living room with dinning something like a L-shape.
But even if we do that there is a problem how to put furniture in new kitchen with bay window and all this tiny spaces between walls and chimney breast, and where to place kitchen table, sofas in living room with all windows and french doors..

Any thoughts on how to manage the space ?
Thanks for any ideas you may have!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
What furniture are you using? Any pics?
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 9:45AM
ervinedesign
I've sketch a rough floor plan on my iPad so excuse the lines. Regarding your current design I think it would be a more interesting layout with the kitchen at the front. This way you can have an interesting bay window kitchen which you could integrate and fabricate bay window seats into. But mainly you create a central island with the existing chimney concrete head risen in height allowing to include your ventilation for your cooker and creating a surround which could be possibly brick. This may integrate into the context of your traditional house. Then creating your kitchen units around the edge of the room. Leading from the kitchen into the living is double glass doors. The living space open plan with a dining area included. You could possibly have scissor doors opening into the outside courtyard at rear. In the living space is a door under the stairs for storage. The stair has a wall of 200-300 depth for a book shelf adding interest to the hall. The wall at bottom of stair is removed with a straight run to the front wall. Then to finish the existing cloak store is removed with jus a shelf or furniture feature in replace allowing more light into the hall. But overall I think this design creates more space and privacy for the living space and could create an interesting kitchen layout without interfering with the structure of the house.
Hope this helps.

Eddie, Architect
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 12:30PM
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
Not a bad layout, but I like the bay as a dining room bench seat. the space to the left of chimney as a glass and plate storage cabinet. This allows the kitchen to bee in the center. Eliminate ALL the walls with necessary beams for 2nd story or roof loads.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 2:30PM
henryq
Here are some pics, not many furnitures..
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 1:57AM
henryq
I can't do door under stairs as stairs goes into room and there is not enough space, in hallway - we already removed the wall with door and arch been created, can't remove whole wall on the end of stairs as it's load bearing wall - too complicated.., french/patio doors opens outside but I can't really see sofa facing door to hallway and where to put tv then for comfortable watching..?
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 2:05AM
henryq
Kitchen in living room this is little complicated - yes I was thinking about fitting the gas hob in to chimney not a problem, just dot know where to fit sink with dishwasher and fridge (washing machine will go to utility room), I've got some ideas but not sure about them, plus in existing kitchen there is gas boiler hidden in corner cupborad which probably should be moved to right top side of chimney in new kitchen..
I have used kitchen planner from Ikea, here are some of my ideas:
first picture - cupboards on left side wall are 37cm deep and worktop on island 90cm (program didn't let me create 30cm work top, also room shape is without bay), sink and dishwasher built in island.. fridge on left side of chimney
last picture shows different idea
let me know what you think is a good layout or will you change something
Thanks for any answers/ideas you may have !
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 2:25AM
ervinedesign
Hall
I've attached an alternative storage image for under your stair with interesting lighting that can create a more intriguing hallway. This bookshelf will be of max. 300mm deep with storage behind that can be used for a gas boiler? The gas boiler can be accessed in the living area with a smaller pop out panel or door under the stair? With now knowing the wall at the bottom of the stair is structural. You could possibly use steel beam to evolve this issue confining stair layout in your house and opening up your hall more. However that's upon your decision.

Kitchen
The kitchen layout in the third image is more preferable however I would have the island top overhang 400mm to allow to put stools underneath and create a breakfast bar and also have the fridge/freezer at double unit height in the front left corner. This room can be very interesting with the bay window seat included.

Living
Ive attached a second image for an idea on the layout of your living. I would refurbish the existing marble fireplace as it is an interesting feature in your living and house. the image gives an idea of a sleek style to match the fireplace. the tv can go above the fireplace. and as discussed a door or panel can be under the stair to access your gas boiler.

Hope this helps
Eddie
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 4:28PM
Kelley Nancy
Can you tell me where i can find a home design application like the ones shown in this post and comments, for an iPad?
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 4:43PM
rosploc
Hi Eddie, what great ideas for the layout. How did you do that on you iPad?
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 4:48PM
ervinedesign
The sketch drawing was done by downloading the image on my ipad then i used an app called sketch (you'll find it in top 100 free apps on itunes) and just simply rough sketched over it and uploaded my idea. Its a good app for giving rough ideas of layouts etc. The other images are just took of the houzz website on my ipad that i've attached to the discussion.
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 5:34AM