Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with kitchen tile
jessica8269
January 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Keeping the cabinets even though I hate them to save some money....want to do tile but having hard time picking a color. Tile will also go through the hall and the bathroom. Any suggestions?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Stoneshop
Hi jtoureene,

There are some lovely porcelain tiles that look like wood available on the market that would look great in your space. Real hardwood is currently popular in kitchens, but you could get a similar look by using tile! By choosing a color similar to your cabinetry, you can create a soothing, neutral space.
[houzz=Open Kitchen]

Or going a couple shades lighter is very attractive, too.
[houzz=Traditional Kitchen]

If you do not like the idea of using wood-look tiles, choosing a porcelain tile in a lighter color (similar to the second wood flooring photo that I posted) with some variation in it would be nice as well.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 9:13AM
wmpj
I like your cabinets. I think they could look better if you updated the hardware on them and replaced the countertop with something else. I would pick a neutral tile for the floors and backsplash. I would also paint the beadboard that's located in the eating area.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 9:19AM
jessica8269
I do want to replace the countertop also eventually....we just bought this house so we have A LOT of projects :)
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 9:48AM
jessica8269
is it possible to stain these cabinets a much darker color? or would that look ridiculous?
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 1:49PM
PRO
Stoneshop
Of course you can stain them a darker color. Personally, I think that dark cabinets give a kitchen a much richer flair. Just be sure that your space has adequate light so that the dark cabinetry will not make the kitchen feel very dark. I would also consider adding undercabinet lighting if you do not have it already.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 1:55PM
jessica8269
Stoneshop, thanks! I tend to think any color would look better than they do now! I agree also with the underlights, we have those currently where we live and LOVE them.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 1:58PM
PRO
The Frugal Parisian
The cabinets would look more current with some edgy, straight lined brushed chrome hardware. Change the ceiling fan for a modern looking fan in brushed chrome as well. Add some white subway tile to the backsplash. That would be an inexpensive start and then you could step back and see where you are at. A dramatic high faucet would also help quite a bit. Home Depot offers all these things at a reasonable price.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 2:02PM
iamchickaddd
Porcelain tile that looks like slate would go nice...something light like this...
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 2:02PM
PRO
Butterfly Yao
I really love light color flooring tiles in the kitchen. Some creamy color Porcelain tiles (looks like marble grain), 18" x 18", 24" x 24" big slab, sizes depends on the whole room area size.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 2:29PM
wmpj
You could also have your cabinets glazed. A dark glaze would add a nice richness to your cabinets.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 2:55PM